PDA

View Full Version : Peak Oil

dimethylsea
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Well we've had alot of partisan bickering back and forth... let's discuss something that is political and bigger than the two party system.

What does everyone think about the idea of Peak Oil?

Note.. I'm not talking about climate change or global warming. That's a separate issue.

What sort of scenario do you personally envision.. and how is this changing your plans for the future?

Drake
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
On one side, if we took what skeptics said in the past as canon, we would have been without oil years ago. That being said, this is a finite resource, and moreover, it's a terribly inefficient, dirty, and outdated form of energy. If computer technology moved as slowly as energy technology, we'd still be using Commodore 64s right now.

dimethylsea
01-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Drake,
Are you familiar with the argement that advancements in computer technology are the direct byproduct of large energetic surpluses (practically speaking, at the present time, plentiful petroleum)?

Drake
01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Drake,
Are you familiar with the argement that advancements in computer technology are the direct byproduct of large energetic surpluses (practically speaking, at the present time, plentiful petroleum)?

I'm an IT guy... I disagree.