PDA

View Full Version : Taiji Practice Music

apham4
10-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Do many of you practice taiji to music? Have music playing in the background? I ran across and article by TT Liang and found it interesting. He mentions practicing not only to music, but to the beat of the music. I've heard of practicing with music to create an atmosphere, but he goes a bit further than that. Below is TT Liang's reason:

=========================
Why We Should Practice T'ai-Chi to Music
by Master T. T. Liang

More than one thousand years ago a Chinese monk named Chan Chung developed a method of concentration during meditation. He told people to repeat silently "What did I look like before I was born?" . . . that is, "What did I look like when I was in my mother's womb?" Later this method was handed down to Japan as Zen Dao, using the question "What is Mu (nothing)?" for concentration.

We often say that a human's heart is like a monkey, jumping and turning around all the time, and their mind is like a horse galloping without pause. When one begins to practice meditation their heart and mind are fully occupied with short cut thoughts. When one thought is gone, it is immediately replaced by another, giving the heart and mind no chance to rest and concentrate. So monk Chan Chung used his way of concentration to cut out all the other short confused thoughts. As the question, "What did I look like before I was born?" can never be solved, you have to repeat it over and over again for a long time. Gradually your heart and mind will become peaceful and quiet, and only one thing will be left to think of—"What did I look like before I was born?" Finally you forget even the words you are concentrating on, so your heart and mind will be all empty; your body will be completely relaxed; the ch'i will sink and abide in the tan-tien, and the blood will circulate through the whole body without hindrance. It is good for the health, and also the way to metamorphose into a Buddha.

It is the same with practicing T'ai-Chi. In T'ai-Chi the ascent to the highest level is divided into four steps:

1. When beginning the practice of T'ai-Chi, you will have to memorize the number of beats, the directions, the practical uses of each posture and the ten guiding points as described in my book. You will breathe naturally, and will not use music.
2. After you have mastered all the points mentioned above, you will have to use beats, music and breathing (proper methods of inhaling and exhaling) for concentration, and get rid of all the rest.
3. At the next stage you will use only music for concentration and skip the others.
4. After practicing T'ai-Chi with music for a sufficient time you will forget the music, the movements, even yourself—although you are proceeding as usual. At this stage you are in a trance; your five attributes (form, perception, consciousness, action and knowledge) are all empty: this is meditation in action and action in meditation. When you finish and come to the end of the postures, suddenly you are back. Where have I been? What have I been doing? I don't know and I don't remember. This is complete relaxation of body and mind—truly good for your health, and also the way to immortality.

Of course if one can reach the highest level while practicing T'ai-Chi without music, so much the better. But I cannot do it because I am a human being, an ordinary ignorant person with heart like a monkey and mind like a horse. So I must use music as a means of concentration, as a stepping stone to the highest level of T'ai-Chi.

I have been learning and practicing T'ai-Chi with music for more than thirty-five years. After the first five years I though I knew everything and started to criticize this man as no good, that man as no good, and to consider only myself as really good. After another ten years of learning and practicing I began to realize that I knew only a little. Instead of criticizing others I started to criticize only myself, because I was not qualified to criticize others with my superficial smattering of knowledge—and besides, I had no time for criticizing others. After continuously practicing and painstakingly learning from teachers, books and Classics, and seriously criticizing myself for another twenty years, I understood that I was not qualified and dared not to criticize others because the more I practiced, the more I wanted to learn from teachers, books and Classics; and the more I learned, the less I felt I knew. The theory and philosophy of T'ai-Chi are so profound and abstruse, and the functional use is so subtle and ingenious that I must continue studying and practicing T'ai-Chi with music forever and ever. It is the only way to improve and better myself.

I like music, especially soft music, because it is in a human being's nature. It can relieve one's tension and anxiety, produce happiness and relaxation, improve harmony and coordination.

I have been teaching and practicing T'ai-Chi with music for thirty years. During these thirty years I have taught in many universities, colleges and high schools and have had thousands of students study with me. They all say that T'ai-Chi with music is good, and they have all benefited from it because they are human beings and to like music is in their nature. If T'ai-Chi with music were no good and were extraneous to the essence of T'ai-Chi I would have disappeared from this world thirty years ago. I am now eighty-one; I am still living and enjoying perfect health because as a human being I like music and have chosen to continue practicing T'ai- Chi with music and have chosen to continue practicing T'ai-Chi with music to prolong my life.
====================

Source: http://www.tctaichi.com/articles/liang_music.htm

Kind of made me wonder :) What do you think?
A.

Nexus
10-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Our school follows the tradition of T.T. Liang here in Alaska. We are directly in his linneage and the music->taichi tradition is one we all seem to enjoy.

Liokault
10-09-2002, 07:15 AM
Hippys!!!

Why bother "training" in tai chi at all when you could sit at home smoking weed listening to that same so called music?

apham4
10-09-2002, 07:37 AM
Hi Nexus..

I recently found a school that is also part of the TT Liang lineage where I am located, Minnesota. At first, when I observed and tried a class, I initially thought the beat counting was a bit distracting. I've heard of doing taiji with music in the background to set the atmosphere, but never really "to the beat". I also found it interesting how each movement takes a certain number of beat so execute and such. I guess I just found it different b/c my previous taiji training has been in "beijing PRC" taiji like the 24 movement and the 48 movement form. I guess this could be considered one of Liang's things that he's added to his taiji. I think perhaps I should let down my preconceptions and give it a try. I guess I need to try and keep a "beginner's mind" :)

A.

HuangKaiVun
10-09-2002, 08:53 AM
Actually, music is an integral part of not just Taijiquan but many other combative traditions around the world.

Muay Thai, capoeira, certain types of Japanese karate, Southern Chinese kung fu demonstrations - all use music while training.

Or if you go into any gym nowadays, you see guys blasting music on boomboxes as they work out. The music helps keep them focused on what they are doing and also blocks out distractions.

Between Thailand, Brazil, Japan, China, and the rest of the world that works out, that's A LOT OF WEED TO SMOKE, Liokault.

Chang Style Novice
10-09-2002, 09:29 AM
I prefer to concentrate on developing my own pace of breathing while doing my forms, and find music to be distracting.

For wailing on a punching bag or freeweights or whatever, that's different.

guohuen
10-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Prolly a really good idea but still gets a 9.5 on the wusse meter.

HuangKaiVun
10-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Go into any weightlifting joint where they play music and say that, guohen.

The guys there won't like that too much.

apham4
10-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Hi Chang..

I agree with what you said about distraction and such, but if felt a little different doing the form when everyone was synchronized... kinda interesting in my mind.

A.

Liokault
10-13-2002, 02:13 AM
Between Thailand, Brazil, Japan, China, and the rest of the world that works out, that's A LOT OF WEED TO SMOKE, Liokault.

Your right but im sure that the so called Tai Chi guys are taking up all the spare weed that all the other stylists are to busy doing real actual training to smoke.

TaiChiBob
10-13-2002, 06:30 AM
Greetings..

Music, no music.. just a matter of preference.. I don't sense that the founders of Tai Chi had Bose Surround Sound systems driving their creativity (but, what if they had!!).. Personally, i practice both ways depending on my mood.. One downfall of music, though.. is that some people depend on it, don't feel right without their "special" music.. I suggest that we keep our options open, and our predjudices closed.

On several occasions i have been fortunate to practice where a gifted Oriental Flute player improvised with the form we were doing.. he seemed to sense our energy and his own musical energy complimented the practice nicely.. Other times, Nature provides its own "music", just relax and "listen".

I think this this is the "little stuff" we're not supposed to sweat..
Be well..

guohuen
10-13-2002, 10:29 AM
That was a joke Kai, chill Bro.

The Willow Sword
10-13-2002, 02:43 PM
i do my tai chi to soulfly.

HuangKaiVun
10-13-2002, 08:56 PM
China has many elderly people who practice Taijiquan for health and relaxation benefits.

Many of those people practice to music. My grandmother was able to improve her overall health by practicing Taijiquan this way.

THAT is "real actual training" - and my grandmother's improved ability to walk was as real as any sparring I've ever seen.

The Willow Sword
12-10-2002, 06:50 PM
In the realm of Tai-chi we see various methods of practice such as setting the environment or "mood" in which to practice your meditation.

Some say that Silemce is best for it helps you to focus inward without any distractions. Others say that practicing your taichi to calm music or in an environment with an audible background helps to relax your movements.

Either way works, i feel, and i was wondering what the practitioners here listen to if in fact they DO thier form to music.

for example i utilize ambient soundworld music at times:
"structures from silence" by Steve Roach
" Atmospheric conditions" by Steve Roach

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword

Laughing Cow
12-10-2002, 07:20 PM
TWS.

I know of atleast one master that advocates practicing to music, he does so himself.

Need to find the article online again and post it here.

Personally, I think that relaxing, quiet music will help the beginner student to relax and thus be benefitial.

Furthermore I also think it depends on what style you study, I think Yang is better suited for it than Chen style.

I prefer it to be quiet, i.e. no music.

Just my 0,2 cents worth.

Chang Style Novice
12-10-2002, 11:12 PM
I've said it before, but to prevent being distracted from the natural rhythm of my breath, I prefer practicing forms without music. I also am going to quibble and point out that silence is impossible.

Hau Tien
12-11-2002, 07:52 AM
Interestingly, my Sifu just mentioned this the other day. This can be applied to all types of martial arts, though... not just Tai Chi Chuan.

He said "Sometimes it is good to practice with music. If you've had a hard day, and need something to help you get into the workout, music can be great for that. But sometimes you need to practice without music, so you can hear your breath and the way your punches and kicks cut through the air. You need to hear the sound of a properly performed technique. Both are good to do."

I agree completely with what he said... Sometimes it is good.... but not all the time:)

Souljah
12-11-2002, 08:19 AM
I dont practice tai chi but I find that practicing to some sort of music, usually traditional chinese music (sometimes surrowful music) helps me concentrate more while training.....

I try practicing in supposed 'silence' in the park but the constant sound of police sirens always makes me lose my concentration, you'd think i'd have gotten used to it by now.....

TaiChiStorm
12-12-2002, 09:39 AM
There is a traditional song beeing written for the short yang-style form (I think 24 or so). It is very interesting because there are elements which are connected with a certain figure of the form.
For example: "Push away the monkeys" ,you can hear flutes playing funny , joyfully.
Generally, this is a good way to practice rythm and speed in Taiji. It can help you to relax and to concentrate.
Greets
TCS

The Willow Sword
12-12-2002, 08:33 PM
have helped me considerably in the movements. The music itself is not very "active" so to speak. Just an ambient environment of subtle sounds.

i do find it interesting though that one could do a taichi form next to a waterfall and feel totally at harmony with thier movement but put that same practitioner in the middle of a city park with sirens and all and they are disrupted. (hey i put myself in that category:( )

So i guess i will re-ask my previous question and that is "WHat do any of you listen to if in fact you DO practice your taichi to music?

MAny Respects,,,The Willow Sword

jbmmaster
12-14-2002, 04:13 AM
i dont do alot of taichi or anything but when im doing my regular conditioning workout or external kung fu training i tend to push my self more when i have music on that i like alot and as a result get a better workout.:)

Souljah
12-14-2002, 05:58 AM
yes I do this too, when training externally.

Former castleva
12-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Have not meditated for ages (in my time...) but as long as it comes to meditation,I´d steer away from it since I go with the distraction theory.
In my opinion,your brain would have to work more if you´d listen to music,stimulating you and creating links and thoughts between things you´d connect it to.
While meditating,you´d want to be completely "mindless"...
Just my opinion.

apham4
12-26-2002, 01:04 PM
I know that TT Liang is an advocate of practing taiji to music. Basically I think he mentioned that music is "in our nature" so that practicing to music is also natural. Also, I think he mentions how it initially helps one to focus and not have a "jumpy monkey brain" going from thought to thought within the form. You can find the source of the "articles" section of the following website:

http://www.tctaichi.com

I think that he goes a bit further than practicing "with music", instead I think he advocates practicing "to music" in that each posture is held for a certain number of beats, etc. I've been in some places where music is playing in the background and I've enjoyed that type of setting but this concept of practing to the beat and such is a bit harder for me since I'm used to training in such a way that the music is usually zoned out. Interesting thoughts, none the less.

A.

Ao Qin
12-26-2002, 05:25 PM
Hello - a very interesting discussion!

Could any of Master TT Liang's students here tell us what music in particular you practice your movements too? I would like to experiment more with this concept. Flute music (as mentioned above) does not usually include drumming, or "beats". Or is there a modern synthesis?

Is the music traditional Chinese? Or Western in nature? Or "new age"? In our classes, we often practice to Enigma, Delirium, or variations of African drumming music.

Do you really hold the postures for a certain number of "beats"? In some movement schools, the "beat" of one's feet taps the cadence, while the body moves accordingly - the "music" allows the practioner's movement to become more innate - distracting the "monkey brain" and allowing the moving centre to perform as it was intended.

Cheers!

[Censored]
12-26-2002, 06:42 PM
I found this link, may be of interest:

http://www.zyqigong.org/shop.htm#CD

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-27-2002, 07:01 AM
I believe that training with music is a good thing. However, the music should be a type of music that enhances a particular type of training (i.e. Qigong training, Iron Palm training, etc.). Hope this helps.

apham4
12-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Hi Ao Qin.

I don't currently practice at Liang's school but I remember hearing the music briefly. From what I remember, I think it's more of a traditional type of chinese music with flutes and such. Some tracks even have Liang himself counting the beats! In any case, I believe it to be more of a traditional chinese music as opposed to the electronic ambient type of tunes. I would have to say that it's more traditional as opposed to new age. I'm not a big fan of new age type music.

From my understanding, the posture are not really "held" for a certain number of beats but certain postures take a certain number of beats for execution. For instance, the single whip could take like 6 beats to complete the posture whereas strum the lute could take like 2. I think it's something along those lines.

Like I said, I think in Liang's case, the music was used as a sort of mental concentration tool to initially help focus.

A.

btw, Ao Qin, I think you may have a private message from me :)

The Willow Sword
12-28-2002, 11:54 AM
As far as Music specifically designed to the taichi movements,,,i am not sure i would be comfortable with this. in my earlier analogy of doing taich chi at a waterfall as opposed to the park in the middle of the booming city, i believe that the music should be as the waterfall is,,in the background. since a waterfall is not specifically designed for the taichi movements,,nor would the music be the same. just background ambient sound space , in my opinion is the best way.
for those of you that are interested in the ambient soundworlds i highly recommend the works of www.steveroach.com ,, my recommendations for meditation or taichi would be ``Slow Heat``
``Atmospheric Conditions`` ``World`s Edge disc 2`(to the threshold of silence).

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword

apham4
12-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Don't forget to add "LIquid Mind" and "Jonn Serrie" to your list of ambient soundscapes. Not as dark as some of the ambient tracks I've heard.

The Willow Sword
12-30-2002, 10:37 PM
for the recommendations. i know of john serrie`s works. but i have not heard of liquid mind.

peace,,,MRTWS

firepalm
12-31-2002, 12:45 AM
AC DC - Back in Black, Crystal Method - Get Busy Child, or anything by the Cocteau Twins works good for me.... opps wrong forum!:D

Sam Wiley
04-27-2003, 10:38 AM
As someone who likes to listen to music as he practices, I have been looking for a while now for a way to listen to music outdoors during my practice and yet not disturb anyone else with loud music. Personal tape players were no good, the sound dropped out and the things were too heavy to stay on my belt during particularly active movements. Personal CD players were no good because they either skipped, popped open, or fell off and smashed to pieces. MP3 players were no good because They either didn't hold enough and had no slot for memory cards, or didn't hold enough and the memory cards cost an arm and a leg.

But this week I happened upon minidisk players at a local store, which made claims of being skip-free, playing a variety of formats, and a few other things. But I bought one because heck, if it didn't work I could take it back.

The one I got was a "sport" model type, with a lock that hinges over both the battery compartment door as well as the disk door to keep either from popping open. It also made claims of being water resistant so that sweat would not affect it that much, as well as being completely skip resistant.

So I recorded some stuff from cd onto it through my computer, and decided to test out the skip-free claim. Skipping is the thing that bugs me the most about cd players. With full, violent fa-jing movements, jumps, stomps, etc...the thing never once skipped. And this was when it was dangling from its cord from my belt. Nor did it skip when I tucked it into my pocket and did the same sort of stuff. The anti-skip features, whatever they may be on this thing, work extremely well.

Besides that, the disk this thing came with holds a lot. Just to get the feel of the program that came with it, I put a couple of cds on it. I got the entire re-release of No Rest For The Wicked, plus the entire re-release of Diary Of A Madman (both of which contain bonus tracks now, which are also on the disk). Plus, I had nearly the entire Blizzard Of Ozz album on my computer from a previous attempt at testing the limits of an MP3 player that didn't use a memory card (and also would not take the entire cd, so I deleted two tracks to fit it on), and it held even that with room to spare. And this is on the medium compression setting, and I have not noticed any lessening of quality of sound. There is another compression setting that will allow you to fit about twice that much on one disk (6 entire albums), though I have not tried it yet.

The disks run about 1-2 dollars apiece, depending on grade, so they are more expensive than cds, but far less expensive than memory sticks for MP3 players. The player/recorder itself was only about $150 after tax, though they make other non-sport models that cost a bit less.

I'm not trying to advertise or anything, so I'm not telling brand names or anything. I'm just very pleased with the thing, and thought I'd let some of you know in case you were looking for something similar. And in addition to all this, the thing runs on one battery. I've had it for two days now, and have listened to it enough to run down several batteries on a tape player, a couple at least for a cd players, but so far the battery meter on this player still shows it to be fully charged.

There is, however, one catch. I originally wanted to purchase the thing so that I could fit a few select cds onto one disk. The cds have sound pulses in them that induce Theta state brain wave activity, which is the state you go into in deep meditation. The pulses are, I assume between 3.5-7 Hz, which is the Theta range. But according to the manual that came with the thing, the player only plays sound frequencies that humans actually hear (though you can still be affected by frequencies you can't hear), and the frequency range for humans starts at about 10 Hz. So I doubt that the frequencies come through on this particular player. I'll still test it out, though. But that doesn't mean that one couldn't play music with sound frequencies hidden within to induce Alpha or Beta states, which should be within the range Humans can hear, and therefore ought to come out through this player.

Anyway, I know I'm out of the loop technologically, but I thought I'd let you guys know anyway, just in case you were lookin for something similar.

Ray Pina
04-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Sam, I take it you're a white guy ... right?;)

Just busting chops ... hey, the music selection and all.

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for something I can take surfing with me, so when it's big I can blast some Rage Against the Machine or something to amp me out, convince me to drop in on those killer sets ... the ones that make ya go Uh Oh!

I often put on some tunes when friends come over to play but it's off my DVD player. I'm living kind of ghetto style right now. I did just buy a disk man though so I can zone before a fight. Took third. Guess I should have brought other CDs:D

Fu-Pow
04-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Isn't listening to music while practicing counter productive?

It seems like a distraction for doing something that amounts to "moving meditation."

What are your thoughts on this?

Sam Wiley
05-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Well, I don't think it's counterproductive, but there are people out there who do. Music helps me to clear my mind and establish a rhythm. Also, some music tends to bring out the "reptile" brain nearly instantly with me. So if I'm listening to something like that, I don't have to take so long getting into the proper mindset. There are many days when I don't feel like listening to music, but then again there are many where I do.

In the end it all amounts to what you like.

Tainan Mantis
05-04-2003, 05:59 AM
We had used a tape with 2 minutes Gipsy Kings and one minute silence.
So the tape was our timer for sparring.
Got this from our Thai boxer buddy

Internal Boxer
05-04-2003, 06:04 AM
I find walking on all fours, while flicking my tongue out eating small insects brings my out my reptillian brain.:eek: Erle is starring in a new movie called the three marketeers.

Ka
05-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Speaking of Earle,he is moving to Wales (as in England) in the coming year.So any Aussies in NSW this is your last chance to see the man in person.

Internal Boxer
05-05-2003, 01:30 PM
LMFAO I like the "moving to Wales as in England???" :confused: Sorry to point out the bleedin obvious kiddo but wales ain't in England.

Ka
05-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Mate its all the one place to us,just trying to separate it from New South Wales.:D

Rory
05-07-2003, 06:57 PM
i bought his laser guided ear thing. you plug it in to your cd player and as long as the cd players 40 feet away or less it works great

dfedorko@mindspring.com
05-07-2003, 07:48 PM
We don't have that problem on St. Simons. You must have too much fa jing or Qi running thru your kwoon. We only do garage training down here and play James Brown to excelerate our Qi. Just kidding but I do appreciate the info. Y'all come down and see us sometime. Have a great week.

kfson
02-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Do you play any music while practicing?

Pachelbel Canon in D Major:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHw9uyj81g

bawang
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

taai gihk yahn
02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
ALL martial arts must be practiced while playing, humming or thinking this music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_hCJMVaAk), otherwise it is useless;

TenTigers
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I practice to, "The Imperial March."

for some reason, I cannot post youtube vids. It just says,about:blank
when I try to drop the link. Anyone know what's up? I have aol.

Skip J.
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
ALL martial arts must be practiced while playing, humming or thinking this music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_hCJMVaAk), otherwise it is useless;
But it's kinda "external" for the old folks.... about a 1/2 hour of that and all their blood pressure rates would be up....

kuntao
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
But it's kinda "external" for the old folks.... about a 1/2 hour of that and all their blood pressure rates would be up....

Only if you're singing it loudly. Try humming it and eventually just thinking it to make it more internal. :D

Skip J.
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Only if you're singing it loudly. Try humming it and eventually just thinking it to make it more internal. :D

OK.... well I like it if that counts for something....

Bob Ashmore
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Grand Master Ma made a convincing argument against practicing TCC to music at the Symposium.
It made so much sense to me that I no longer do it.

His argument is probably best heard coming from him. The transcript of his speach was printed in a different Tai Chi oriented magazine than the illustrious hosts of this site in their last issue.
That's all the hints I will give you here, as my intent is ONLY to point you all at the correct documentation and not to plug anything.

Bob

taai gihk yahn
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Grand Master Ma made a convincing argument against practicing TCC to music at the Symposium.

His argument is probably best heard coming from him. The transcript of his speach was printed in a different Tai Chi oriented magazine than the illustrious hosts of this site in their last issue.
That's all the hints I will give you here, as my intent is ONLY to point you all at the correct documentation and not to plug anything.

Bob
while I personally do not like practicing to music, I think that if one does enjoy it, which I suspect you did, it is not intrinsically harmful to one's practice; what is harmful, IMPE, is some so-called "master" proscribing natural, spontaneous human behavior based his own personal perspective about what is "correct";

Scott R. Brown
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
while I personally do not like practicing to music, I think that if one does enjoy it, which I suspect you did, it is not intrinsically harmful to one's practice; what is harmful, IMPE, is some so-called "master" proscribing natural, spontaneous human behavior based his own personal perspective about what is "correct";

I prefer training to the natural, ambient sounds of my environment, such as Little Bear, Spongebob Squarepants, incoherent Filipino TV shows, the baby asking what I am doing and wanting me to hang her from the pullup bar, etc......

GeneChing
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
There has been music specifically composed for specific forms of taiji. There's this Daoist notion that it can harmonize - the 5 elements, the 5 musical notes (China is pentatonic scale), the 5 organs, the 5 etc.

There has been music composed specifically for qigong based on the same Daoist principles. See Health Qigong music. (http://www.martialartsmart.com/aud-hq010.html) I've listened to this stuff, and it would work for taiji.

Of course, why should you listen to me? I used to like to practice taiji to Wagnerian Opera. ;)

Scott R. Brown
02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Of course, why should you listen to me? I used to like to practice taiji to Wagnerian Opera. ;)

I also hear you are Chinese, and run a martial arts business or two.....so what would you know?

The question IS, do you play a musical instrument?

GeneChing
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Believe it or not, I play digeridoo...but not very well. I play for the circle-breathing meditation, not for the 'music' so it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner on steroids when I play.

Scott R. Brown
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
cool, I would think that a good didgeridoo would be great with meditation!:)

kfson
02-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Believe it or not, I play digeridoo...but not very well. I play for the circle-breathing meditation, not for the 'music' so it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner on steroids when I play.

You might like the "OM" selection here:
http://www.synchronicity.org/Listening-Room-_-Audio-Samples/products/590/

Bob Ashmore
02-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Actually, I have never much enjoyed listening to music as I practice. Not of any kind.
It is very distracting to me.
I have no problem with anyone who does, at all. I just found GM Ma's argument to be convincing.
Enjoy your practice any way it works for you.

Bob

taai gihk yahn
02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I have never much enjoyed listening to music as I practice. Not of any kind.

from the sounds of this, and I may be off base, the implication is that: a) you used to practice to music even though you didn't like to; b) the only reason you stopped doing it was because GM Ma said not to

which suggests that you are a masochist with a need to defer to authority figures...

consequently, have you ever considered a career in the "alternative" adult film industry?

;):p

GeneChing
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't practice taiji anymore, so this is a bit moot. However, there's always music playing when I'm practicing Shaolin kung fu. It's a varied mix, sometimes off Master Yan Fei's iPhone (and he listens to everything from Chinese rap to Katy Perry to Carmina Burana), sometimes one of the students will plug in their Pandora mix or their MP3 selection. Sometimes it is distracting and we joke about certain songs sapping our qi. But in all seriousness, if your practice is so fragile to be affected by the music negatively, you need to practice more. If your practice is solid, you should be able to practice to anything. On a street applicative level, there could be all kinds of noise pollution when you're called upon to fight. You have no control of that whatsoever.

That being said, there is certainly music that fits better and the whole notion of music that is specifically composed for practice is very intriguing. Surely certain music is optimal. Back when I was practicing taiji, I went through a phase when I enjoyed practicing to dub, but I wouldn't really recommend that for most others.

Now you got me curious. Do any of you play an instrument?

Scott R. Brown
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I prefer to practice listening to Yoko Ono cuz it makes me want to kill something just to make it stop!:eek:

Bob Ashmore
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
No, I have never listened to music when practicing alone. In groups I have done so quite often.
"Distracting" to me is if something interferes with my ability to be totally in the moment. This is not a distraction in terms of "I can't do the form if there's music", it's more that I am thinking of the music sometimes and not the form.

To answer the question of "do you play an instrument" the answer for me is, "No, not any more".
I used to play drums. Not professionaly, only as a hobby. I was never good enough at it for anything but having fun with it.
I took some lessons, I enjoyed it a lot, I made a lot of noise.
I realized quickly that I was never going to be the next Ringo Starr so kept it only at the hobby level. That was a number of years agone.
But listening to music is quite involved for me. I listen intently and I like to concentrate on what I'm listening to. That interferes with my "being in the moment" when doing the form.

No, I did not stop practicing to music only becase GM Ma said to do so. I am not his student, so that was not my reason, I had stopped long before the Symposium.
I simply found his reasons to be well thought out and they mirrored my own quite well.
Since he has explained those reasons so much better than I ever could, I feel it best simply to point people in that direction and they can see for themselves.
Do what you want. I'm no one here's teacher.

taai gihk yahn
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I prefer to practice listening to Yoko Ono cuz it makes me want to kill something just to make it stop!:eek:

LOL, she used to come for treatment at my old PT practice; of course, only "the boss" :rolleyes: would get the honor of working on her; which is a good thing, because the question, "why did you f*ck up the Beattles?" is probably not considered appropriate as part of a medical history intake...

bawang
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
whos yoko ono???

Lucas
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
whos yoko ono???

here you go bawang

Yoko Ono (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=yoko+ono)

bawang
02-05-2010, 10:58 PM
im too tired 2 clik on link

pls copy and past info 4 me
thx

Skip J.
02-09-2010, 07:56 AM
im too tired 2 clik on link

pls copy and past info 4 me
thx
Hey Mr. bawang; you certainly closed out that thread with style and class...

My compliments!

GeneChing
10-20-2014, 08:43 AM
19 notes per second! And they say Tai Chi is slow... ;)

Piano Key Tai Chi: Lubomyr Melnyk performs at the Symphony Orchestra tonight (http://shanghaiist.com/2014/10/19/pianokey_tai_chi.php)

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/yuensin/lubomyr-melynk-piano.png
Ukrainian pianist Lubomyr Melnyk is credited with inventing the Continuous Music keyboard technique, a rapidly played style that sometimes reaches 19 notes per second.

Many pianists have strict regiments, but few attempt to channel Tai Chi through fingertips. For Lubomyr Melnyk, that ancient Chinese martial art is surprisingly similar to his own Continuous Music keyboard technique, which he invented while playing for Parisian modern dance troops in the mid-70's.

"The intricacies of Continuous Music are very closely related to Tai Chi, which I consider to be one of the greatest things that have ever come from China," the Ukrainian pianist says of his unique playing technique, which consists of extremely rapid notes.

He adds: "I think of classical pianists as kung-fu masters. But Continuous Music is more like the Tai Chi Master. It's supreme because it is completely transcendental to time and space and physical matter.

Below, the eccentric keyboardist discusses his playing style, the mercy of modern dancers, the evils of concrete and more.

Tell us more about how Continuous Music is like Tai Chi.

Overcoming the normal limits of the physical world is part of Continuous Piano Music. Through training the fingers, the hands, the entire body, you become like water and air. Only in this higher state of the technique, can the pianist achieve the super-human speeds and delicacy of touch, the softness, and the strength, which are part of playing the piano. In Continuous Music, the mind and body must coordinate to combine very complex things, and to bring the left and the right into one total unity. This can only be achieved through years of practice and devotion.

In an interview with 15questions.net you described: "Working... at the Paris Opera in the early 1970s along with the extreme hunger and poverty I experienced at that time, brought about pivotal changes for me." What specific hardships did you face, and how did they affect your music?

It was like a complete re-birth for me. Because of my poverty and hunger, my entire being was open to contact with the metaphysical, and with beauty. So I saw new worlds arising out of the piano, new worlds of sound and musical form, and new worlds of my own physical body. I remember those years as though they are happening today.

Once you became more successful, and satisfied some of those hungers, how did your playing and composing change? Some artists worry about "losing their edge" after they become successful.

So you consider me to be successful? Oh dear, I really disagree with that. Many times when I play, there are still very few people, and my music is too difficult to play and too difficult to listen to for the average person. And of course, this makes me very curious to see how the people of China will react to my piano-playing. You know, I am really quite afraid of this first time performance!

I think that your question about the effect of my limited success on my music is good to think about. In some ways, I see that I have to adjust my concert music to be a little easier for people to listen to and enjoy. I want people to enjoy my concerts. And so, I keep some of the more difficult and metaphysical, transcendental pieces reserved for very special audiences and situations. But really, all my music is from my heart and soul, so I do not feel any shame or sadness over the music I do in concert. I love all of Continuous Music!

You recently told The Beijinger magazine that your ideal venue would have wooden floors, walls and ceilings, and no lights. What are the advantages of playing in a wooden room, how does it compliment the acoustics and you playing in particular?

I prefer wood, because it is as natural as we can get in our buildings, and it is as far away from concrete as possible. There is nothing so anti beauty and anti music as concrete. Music is the most complex entity of our existence, and it needs a good home. Concrete has a metaphysically evil existence that creates a total psychosis in humanity. It provides a horrible shell that erases all true space around us. My music needs true and absolute space for its full beauty to live. And although it may be a small detail, still, I really prefer never to play inside concrete buildings. But I cannot avoid them, unfortunately.

You've been praised for collaborating with dancers. How did such partnerships come to pass?

When I was in Paris and experiencing the birth of Continuous Music, modern dancers were the only people who showed any interested in me and my work. The classical world had no interest at all. They were just too busy looking at the great people behind them, instead of looking ahead for what wonderful things were coming!

Lubomyr Melnyk will perform tonight at 7:45 p.m. at the Shanghai Symphony Orchestra Chamber Hall (1380 Middle Fuxing Road, Xuhui District, near Baoqing Road/徐汇区复兴中路1380号,近宝庆路). Tickets are 100RMB.

To buy tickets, or for more information, visit this site.

By Kyle Mullin

Faux Newbie
10-20-2014, 05:55 PM
It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing form, I don't tend to do music, partially because I play music, and so my brain gets going on that, but also because I tend to do form to spot issues in execution of technique, so I really want no distractions. If I'm drilling moves, I sometimes like music, as it is a good way to change up my rhythm. So things with different rhythms are ideal, sometimes inexorable, sometimes unpredictable.

PalmStriker
10-20-2014, 07:05 PM
This Ukrainian pianist is doing nothing special and plays no faster than any other accomplished player and is not involved in the meditative aspects of the instrument any more than same. Snake oil hype for the uninformed public at large.

bawang
10-21-2014, 06:49 PM
a good taichi music is darude-sandstorm

TaichiMantis
10-22-2014, 08:51 AM
a good taichi music is darude-sandstorm

Would be great for a kid twirling a Bo staff...:p

PalmStriker
10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
:)Just as I suspected: Notice this guy is playing "so fast" on only the WHITE KEYS. Say what? Yes, that's right. Nothing special, especially if you are a cross lateral left handed person, which he may be. (very few people in this world are). That said, he is only playing repetitious pattern in the Diatonic Scale. I won't get into it any further but for the most part he is not doing anything I consider very challenging with the piano. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICgfSqZcdg

GeneChing
08-01-2018, 10:03 AM
I didn't know where to post this. It's too odd.

How tai chi and a Linux laptop can create a tiny, powerful orchestra (https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/ivica-ico-bukvic-virgina-tech)
7 HOURS AGO

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/SOPA_Headshot_3_Ico-718x523.jpg
Dr Ivica Ico Bukvic, founder and director of the Digital Interactive Sound and Intermedia Studio (DISIS) at Virginia Tech. Image: Virginia Tech

Dr Ivica Ico Bukvic of Virginia Tech is transcending art and science with the world’s first Linux-based laptop orchestra.

Electronic music has improved substantially in the past few decades, but the work being undertaken by Dr Ivica Ico Bukvic of Virginia Tech is taking things to a whole new level.

In 2005, Bukvic received his doctorate in music composition with cognates in computer music programming and music theory from the College-Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati.

Prior to joining Virginia Tech, he taught at the Oberlin Conservatory and University of Cincinnati.

Now, he is the founder and director of the Digital Interactive Sound and Intermedia Studio (DISIS) at Virginia Tech.

What inspired you to become a researcher?

I am sure my father, who is a retired engineer, played a role in this process. Another was observing the world through discipline-agnostic lenses.

In part inspired by Neil Shubin’s Your Inner Fish, regardless of the source or context, every action can be broken into a binary tree. As a result, I see everything around me as a binary network of possibilities, actions and outcomes.

I see modalities simply as different ways of perceiving and interacting with this network. More importantly, I see the separation between STEM and other disciplines, including the arts, as an educational dead end.

There is science in arts and arts in science and, as a result, my creative and educational focus is in the integrative design, engineering, arts and science (IDEAS).

Can you tell us about the research you’re currently working on?

My research involves a contemporary intermedia ensemble, Linux Laptop Orchestra (L2Ork, pronounced as lork). It mixes traditional orchestra with increasingly accessible human-computer interaction technologies.

This is for the purpose of exploring expressive power of gesture, communal interaction, discipline-agnostic environment and the multidimensionality of arts.

Founded in May 2009, L2Ork is part of the interdisciplinary initiative by DISIS and the Institute for Creativity, Arts and Technology.

As the world’s first Linux-based laptop orchestra incorporating extensive study of gesture and tai chi choreography, L2Ork offers optimal infrastructure for creative research at minimal cost.

By providing a seamless integration of arts and sciences, it is in part designed to provide access to an integrative approach to education.

Since its inception, L2Ork has helped start seven laptop orchestras in North and South America, many of which rely heavily on its affordable design.

L2Ork’s infrastructural backbone, the Pd-L2Ork (aka Purr-Data) visual programming environment with its unique K-12 (kindergarten through to the 12th grade) learning module, has been utilised in dozens of K-12 maker workshops, including the Raspberry Pi Orchestra summer gifted programme introduced in 2014.

In autumn 2016, the ensemble introduced the world’s first professional Raspberry Pi orchestra.

In your opinion, why is your research important?

On a societal scale, I see my research focusing on improving the human condition. It aims to tackle this challenge with a multi-pronged approach, from improving education and access, to empowerment through open-ended creativity inherent in the arts.

It could also help build communities and design new technologies and better tools to broaden human cognitive bandwidth and independence.

What commercial applications do you foresee for your research?

This offers new ways to represent data through sound, lowering cognitive load in time-sensitive tasks and big-data scenarios, reimagining education and exploring open-ended creativity rooted in STEM.

It also sees disciplines as overlapping and cross-pollinating catalysts, rather than politicised artificial boundaries.

What are some of the biggest challenges you face as a researcher in your field?

Cutting through the STEM red tape that limits the understanding of the importance and impact of integrative and holistic education.

Are there any common misconceptions about this area of research?

Plenty, as I am sure is also the case with just about any area of research.

To address them, my goal is to raise awareness by generating high-profile research that questions the current status quo and promotes possible future follow-on research trajectories.

What are some of the areas of research you’d like to see tackled in the years ahead?

Continuing to dig deeper in the research whitespace that has been left conspicuously underexplored, like the exocentric spatial sonification.

GeneChing
04-19-2019, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSqgqzv1Zw

THREADS
Taiji Practice Music (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56352-Taiji-Practice-Music)
Kung-Fu Music (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?36569-Kung-Fu-Music)

GeneChing
01-16-2023, 10:41 AM
Tai Chi Capriccio (https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202301/16/WS63c5053da31057c47eba9e1e.html)
chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2023-01-16 16:04

This performance uses a new perspective to re-interpret tai chi, a UNESCO-listed intangible cultural heritage of China. It advocates a harmonious and united future maintained by tai chi.

Tai chi is a traditional Chinese martial art aimed at balancing the mind, body and spirit. It's also one of the most effective exercises for strengthening the mind and body.

Video provided by All-media Marketing Planning Center, Henan Radio and Television

Follow the link to hear it.

Taijiquan-listed-as-UNESCO-Intangible-Cultural-Heritage (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71953-Taijiquan-listed-as-UNESCO-Intangible-Cultural-Heritage)
Taiji-Practice-Music (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56352-Taiji-Practice-Music)