PDA

View Full Version : Bookstores in Hong Kong

cha kuen
11-10-2001, 07:20 AM
Anyone know of any good bookstores in Hong Kong?

Thank you

L D S
11-10-2001, 11:41 AM
Buying books in HK and selling them for rippoff prices on e-bay as taichimaster06. Is that what you want?

Ling

sitnam
11-10-2001, 04:01 PM
If you ever visit Hong Kong, a good place to find Chinese martial arts books is The Commercial Press (Hong Kong) Ltd. They have branches in most areas of Kowloon and Hong Kong.

(Book Centre) 9 Yee Wo St., Causeway Bay, H.K.
Tel: 2890 8028
Fax: 2895 1027

(Jordan Book Plaza) G/F, New Lucky House, 13 Jordan Rd., Yau Ma Tei, Kln.
Tel: 2770 8881
Fax: 2782 1031

(Mongkok Branch) 608 Nathan Rd., Mongkok, Kln.
Tel: 2384 8228
Fax: 2770 3861

Each branch of The Commercial Press Ltd. offers a different selection of martial arts books and most are printed in Chinese. I recommend that you check out 2 or 3 of their branches to find out what they have. When I last visited Hong Kong, I found a good Chinese martial arts encyclopedia; a Chinese/English dictionary on Chinese martial arts terminology, and several books on Qixing Tanglang by Huang Han-Xun (Wong Hon Fun).

You might want to check on the Internet if they have an online service. Good luck!

[This message was edited by sitnam on 11-11-01 at 06:13 AM.]

cha kuen
11-10-2001, 05:09 PM
thank you.

Stumblefist
11-11-2001, 09:10 PM
Bookstores.
Questions: What kind of books are you looking for and how long are you in Hong Kong.
Now, i have to do the best i can from memory. My HK diary with 5 years of entries and information was stolen along with my backback on the hard sleeper.
Now lets not forget the used book seller Mr. Chen. Sets up his stall outside the star ferry Hong kong side, Central, most evenings. Has good buys on literature and recent used books disposed of by travellers. I set him up to sell used books to mainland china bookstores.
Swindon's chain: their flagship store is on Victoria road, Kopwloon. Their branch in the pier Mall on Kowloon side occassionally has discounted books. The bookstore on Kowloon ferry pier is theirs.
Film bookstore extravaganza... POV Store in Wanchai!!!!! Fantastic selection of Film books including HK film industry, Japanese, scriptwriting etc and vcd dvd HK movies.Easily spotted from the Wanchai walkway as you walk from MTR to Wanchai Tower towards Convention center...Also specializes in Gay books ... (HEY! i'm just reporting..) ....
Don't forget Times bookstore chain. The one on Nathan Road used to have discount books.
World book shop basement of World Center Building in HK Island in Central in basement on Des Voeux Road: many upscale books esp. on HK and Chinese history.
The bookstore on HK Central ferry pier is very goood and was recently taken over by a large chain,(used to be called South China Morning Post Bookstore) , new name i can't remember, and their large flagship store is just west of the ferry pier bookstore on 3rd floor in the new mall where you catch the MTR to the airport. They have very large selection and also have discount books.
Oh you want THOSE books and magazines and blue Vcds.! And cheap too. Why didn't you say so? North of temple Street market about the next MTR stop north of Jordan. Now don't go too far north going up to Mongkok. Those neon signs with large arrows in green and red pointing up stairways with no doors are knocking shops. No! I said don't go there...
Cosmos Books in Wanchai is quite good, very large selection. On the main road where the tram cards run..
There is a rival chain to the commercial press. Their bookstore on Queen Victoria Road has the most Martial arts books i've seen in HK. I think the name of the bookstore is something like " San Lian" meaning "3 News"? Anyway if you can find the one on Queen Victoria Road in Central just north of Des Voeux, you can get a namecard and find them all. I think they also have that really neat bookstore in Wanchai as you get off the MTR.
The new bookstore in Star House, Kowloon side is really boss,. I think that is commercial Press.
Ok, that's the best i can do with my memory.