PDA

View Full Version : WC fight clips

Knifefighter
02-03-2010, 09:13 AM
One of the ongoing debates that occur here happen when the theoretical, fantasy, non-fighters make claims for what "should" happen in full-contact scenarios, yet have no evidence to back up their claims.

Here is a place where clips can be stored and anyone who is making specific claims about what works vs. what doesn't can cite one or more of the clips posted here.

I'll start. Here's a WC guy who seems to be making his stuff work under the stress of MMA fights. You can start by using his examples for whatever claims you make about what works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Nt2YSTNNA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9sB0pumXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyrNR39m3E

taai gihk yahn
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
some of what he did was definitely recognizable as WC-based structure - like the initial entry on the second clip;

however, it would be nice to see him fight guys who don't look like they were recruited from the local Dunkin' Donuts and who don't just fold immediately...just to see if he could maintain the same structure when he's under a bit more pressure himself...

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Opposition quality aside, one can see the WC being used, which is great.
At the same time, he is a big, strong and fast fighter and they tend to be able to make anything work for them.
That said, his stand up IS WC, pure and simple.
His ground work isn't.
;)

SAAMAG
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Opposition quality aside, one can see the WC being used, which is great.
At the same time, he is a big, strong and fast fighter and they tend to be able to make anything work for them.
That said, his stand up IS WC, pure and simple.
His ground work isn't.
;)

What ground work is WC? ;)

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
What ground work is WC? ;)

Can meet worms

SAAMAG
02-03-2010, 10:57 AM
One of the ongoing debates that occur here happen when the theoretical, fantasy, non-fighters make claims for what "should" happen in full-contact scenarios, yet have no evidence to back up their claims.

Here is a place where clips can be stored and anyone who is making specific claims about what works vs. what doesn't can cite one or more of the clips posted here.

I'll start. Here's a WC guy who seems to be making his stuff work under the stress of MMA fights. You can start by using his examples for whatever claims you make about what works.

Well, no doubt he is a very strong and athletic fighter, and he does use his wing chun appropriately. I say this because he doesn't try to use it constantly through the entire fight, but rather he uses it from standing to close the distance, from what it seems he prefers a simple straight punch to close in and from there he uses non wing chun and switches to what seems to work for him (MMA style fighting)

Very good connection on the straight blast in the last one. That's about all I liked from his wing chun.

SAAMAG
02-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Can meet worms

Well its true, unless you take that shaolin wing chun stuff from the guy in Germany who basically added BJJ to it. I mean c'mon, its time to take off the blinders already, right?

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Well its true, unless you take that shaolin wing chun stuff from the guy in Germany who basically added BJJ to it. I mean c'mon, its time to take off the blinders already, right?

Andreas is very open to the fact that he added BJJ ground work, heck the man is a BJJ BB.

SAAMAG
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Andreas is very open to the fact that he added BJJ ground work, heck the man is a BJJ BB.

That's my point. But I digress....

HumbleWCGuy
02-03-2010, 12:01 PM

You don't know what you are looking at so don't even waste our time.

HumbleWCGuy
02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
This thread is a waste of time Dale. Primarily because you started it and no one who actually knows better is going to help you. If you knew what the he77 you were talking about then you would not be bothering with this crap thread. I started another thread like this a few weeks ago and fools like yourself poo pooed it because you are too foolish and inexperienced at WC to use the information

m1k3
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
This thread is a waste of time Dale. Primarily because you started it and no one who actually knows better is going to help you. If you knew what the he77 you were talking about then you would not be bothering with this crap thread. I started another thread like this a few weeks ago and fools like yourself poo pooed it because you are too foolish and inexperienced at WC to use the information

Aww, did mean ol' Dale hurt your feelings? It must suck to be you.

HumbleWCGuy
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Aww, did mean ol' Dale hurt your feelings? It must suck to be you.

Actually, I am being 100% sincere in that post.

Wayfaring
02-03-2010, 02:17 PM

For some reason I didn't seem to see much of the "stress of MMA fights" in those clips. They looked a little bit like a stroll down tomato can alley. The second one was a little better.

However you have a point. He is using WC. He is using it in the ring in a MMA fight. He is making it work. He does seem to have cross-trained just enough BJJ to sprawl and do some simple escapes. And he does have a clip up on the internet doing so, which is more than anyone else has in this forum mostly.

weakstudent
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM

yeah thats my big brother shaun obasi i spar with him all the time. he really wants to promote wing chun for mma

Wayfaring
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
yeah thats my big brother shaun obasi i spar with him all the time. he really wants to promote wing chun for mma

cool. where has he trained ground skills and for how long?

Wayfaring
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM

He has a pretty unique art he teaches that flows right into the ground game. It's different than WCK.

Phil Redmond
02-03-2010, 08:23 PM
There is nothing wrong with that. The Pole once wasn't part of WC. Who's to say you can't add to an open end martial art? Any art that doesn't evolve won't last.

lkfmdc
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
There is nothing wrong with that. The Pole once wasn't part of WC. Who's to say you can't add to an open end martial art? Any art that doesn't evolve won't last.

Phil, if you keep making sense and being reasonable, this forum will come to a crashing halt! :D

cerebus
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Phil, if you keep making sense and being reasonable, this forum will come to a crashing halt! :D

No need to worry about that, there's more than enough foolishness out there to counterbalance it... :p

Frost
02-04-2010, 02:09 AM

translation i have no videos to post as my gym excists only in my mind:)

goju
02-04-2010, 03:10 AM
why not name this the ***** measuring thread

HumbleWCGuy
02-04-2010, 06:22 AM
translation i have no videos to post as my gym excists only in my mind:)

Translation pot meet kettle. You can't ask for videos unless you post your own.

CFT
02-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Translation pot meet kettle. You can't ask for videos unless you post your own.Kettle meet pot. Dale has consistently asked you to post video. He already started the ball rolling with his own.

HumbleWCGuy
02-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Kettle meet pot. Dale has consistently asked you to post video. He already started the ball rolling with his own.

Frost is not Dale.

CFT
02-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Frost is not Dale.Nice dodge, but still no video.

Frost
02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Frost is not Dale.

nope and i am not disagreeing with Dales videos and saying they are crap, if i was i would expect to have to put up something better otherwise i would be nothing but a mouth boxer and a scared troll wouldn't you agree:D

weakstudent
02-05-2010, 04:44 AM
cool. where has he trained ground skills and for how long?

alliance jiu jitsu, in new york under Lucas Lepri

Shaun is a white belt , he has been learning for a year and a half

Dragonzbane76
02-05-2010, 05:32 AM

now who would have thunk it to add stuff from another art or style.... gee WTF is happening to the world of MA's. people cross train and add stuff from other area's the Kung fu gods will be displeased. :D

totally agree with you phil. If an art or style does not evole it dies.

HumbleWCGuy
02-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Nice dodge, but still no video.

Where is your video?

HumbleWCGuy
02-05-2010, 10:02 AM
nope and i am not disagreeing with Dales videos and saying they are crap, if i was i would expect to have to put up something better otherwise i would be nothing but a mouth boxer and a scared troll wouldn't you agree:D

That is a complete cop out. All you post is nonsense. Because you are a half-a$$ed WCer and a wanna be mma fighter. As I have said. I am not very interested in giving free martial arts lessons to inferior fighters like yourself.

EDIT:
Also, you may have noticed that there are a number of people who think that Dale's video is junk. Furthermore, video or not the 2-1 smoker mma record still stands.

Wayfaring
02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Here's an interview with Shawn Obasi - the WC guy in Dale's clips. Thought it might be interesting:

http://www.londonwingchun.com/articles/wing_chun_shawn_obasi.html

Frost
02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
That is a complete cop out. All you post is nonsense. Because you are a half-a$$ed WCer and a wanna be mma fighter. As I have said. I am not very interested in giving free martial arts lessons to inferior fighters like yourself.

EDIT:
Also, you may have noticed that there are a number of people who think that Dale's video is junk. Furthermore, video or not the 2-1 smoker mma record still stands.

if i want martial arts advice i can get it from guys that actually compete in the UFC and other events thanks i don't need it from someone who won't even tell us his school or where he has competed:rolleyes:

now stop dodging the point, if you think you can do better than dale show us....i don't think i can so why do i need to post anything? its YOU who who said its rubbish so YOU show us something better please.......

weakstudent
02-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Here's an interview with Shawn Obasi - the WC guy in Dale's clips. Thought it might be interesting:

http://www.londonwingchun.com/articles/wing_chun_shawn_obasi.html

yeah thats a good one i have some class videos i took of him light sparring with another classmate i will ask him if i can post it up for you guys to see. i really don't share my videos but if shawn is ok with it then ill put them up. stay tuned

HumbleWCGuy
02-06-2010, 05:51 PM
if i want martial arts advice i can get it from guys that actually compete in the UFC and other events thanks i don't need it from someone who won't even tell us his school or where he has competed:rolleyes:

now stop dodging the point, if you think you can do better than dale show us....i don't think i can so why do i need to post anything? its YOU who who said its rubbish so YOU show us something better please.......

I suggest strongly that you get some advice because you are dire need of some. Although, the best coaches aren't necessarily the best competitors.

Wayfaring
02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
alliance jiu jitsu, in new york under Lucas Lepri

Shaun is a white belt , he has been learning for a year and a half

Cool. Hey thanks for jumping in the conversation. It's good to see people applying WCK to MMA like Shawn. Tell him we said to give him props.

Frost
02-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I suggest strongly that you get some advice because you are dire need of some. Although, the best coaches aren't necessarily the best competitors.

do you know how silly you sound, if i train at the same place as these guys than that also means i also have access to the guys that coach them:)

so if i wanted to get advice on MMA/grappling i could either get advice from a guy who won't list his accomplishments or tell us who he trains and if his students have ever had even 1 fight, of i could ask a coach that has trained me for about 7 years and who has cornered half a dozen UFC fights in the past 2 years and who took a team of amature MMA guys to one of he bigger comps here in the UK and took home 12 medals. If i wanted straight kickboxing/thai advice i could ask another coach who i also train with and who had 4 guys fight in an event just last december, one of whom won a title, or again i take the advice of someone he won't post a clip of him or his sudents competing.

we can all throw around insults, for instance I could say that before questioning someones grappling, dog bothers fights and MMA fights you should actually train in those arts and gasp maybe even compete and post your own videos for comparision, otherwise you sound very lame and pathetic.

weakstudent
02-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Cool. Hey thanks for jumping in the conversation. It's good to see people applying WCK to MMA like Shawn. Tell him we said to give him props.

i will and no matter what people say this is a great forum, even with the arguments, i learn something form each one of you guys everytime im on.

Ultimatewingchun
02-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Watched the first 30 seconds of the first vid and then turned in off...a ridiculous lunging vertical fist wing chun punch thrown from too far away leads to a shoot by the other guy....the "wing chun" guy has to sprawl and the whole thing goes to the floor inside of 3-4 seconds.

Okay...so his ground skills allowed him to get back up quickly....and then he continues with vertical punches from too far away once again...and the grappling comes into play again.

Kudos for trying, and he's certainly in shape.

But I think I'll pass.

Ultimatewingchun
02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Had a conversation with Shawn Obasi today. He's a real gentleman, and very dedicated to wing chun. And we also discussed what I said earlier on this thread about using some boxing to get to wing chun range....and he's been adding things like that in recent years, he told me...seems the clip I commented upon was from a fight about 3 years ago. Didn't mean to insult him personally when I said the range he threw the wing chun punch from was "ridiculous"...

I wish him well.