PDA

View Full Version : Book questions...

LongfistMantis
10-11-2000, 11:02 PM
Praying mantis kung-fu
By: Paul Eng

Spear Hand (Praying Mantis Kung-Fu Series, Vol 1)
By: Paul Eng

Has anyone read these books? If so, do you feel they are worth reading and/or buying? Id apreciate any info the forum could provide. Thanks!

LongfistMantis /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ericsepishii
10-12-2000, 06:04 AM
Purchasing these books by Paul Eng
depends on how much of a collector
of Mantis material you are.

Also, if to you, is it something
you feel is worth having in your
library collection.

Spear Hand is actually a
7 Star Mantis Fist Set
also known as Chop Choi
(re: Tsup Choy).

The Bung Bo and
Praying Mantis Steals
the Peach set books
that Paul Eng has done
are also 7 Star Mantis
sets -

The weird thing is that Paul
alines himself under the
Chu Chuk Kai Tai Chi
Praying Mantis lineage.

However, Paul did study
some 7 Star Mantis
which is where he draws
his info for these books.

Hope this helps.

LongfistMantis
10-12-2000, 06:56 AM
well, I ask because I have loved praying mantis from the very moment i began studying it...however my sifu must travel 3 hours from his kwoon to teach my class in my hometown....and thus can only manage to do it once a week....so i find myself starved for information. I have purchased numerous books on prior arts (i studied goju kara-te and yang style tai chi) and so when it came to praying mantis.....i expected to do the same.....only to find that there are practically *no* praying mantis books. As for the seven star, that is of no consequence. My sifu told me that our longfist mantis is based off of Longfist kungfu and Seven Star Praying Mantis kungfu (which is what makes us different from the longfist mantis in taiwan) and so i was hoping to pick up some material on seven star......like i said once i get the taste of it i just want to keep going and going and going.....but find myself without options...i was hoping to get a feel for these books and their relative value as instructional supplements.....I dont actually have them....i am running a "used book check" on amazon.com to see if i could turn up a copy. I hope this better explains my current position. thank you for the information! if you have any more, please feel free to post, or write me!

LongfistMantis /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cha kuen
10-15-2000, 09:05 PM
I have read both books and I feel that they are worth getting. They are very informative and also have some excercises in the beginning. I don't recommend learning from books though.