PDA

View Full Version : Faith Healers Found Guilty of Neglegent Murder

Lucas
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
news story: http://www.kgw.com/news/Closing-arguments-set-in-faith-healing-trial-83027822.html (this should be a better one i hope since its from a news channel )

not sure how far this has gone, but its been front page paper news here since the trial started. if you believe in faith healing thats fine, but when did people start thinking that THEY could perform miracles. thats what faith healing is right? a miracle. divine intervention...right? last time i looked, normal every day folks dont produce those results on a regular basis.

laying on of hands.....please. your bob and sally smith, you aint got no God powers.

BoulderDawg
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
The first thing I saw when I opened this link was some fat girl on the left hand side wanting to "Meet-up tonight"...........No thankee!:D I don't cruise Weight Watchers looking for chicks!

Anyway.........

I'm really torn on this. Their religion says no doctors. Who am I to tell them they are wrong.

Lucas
02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
arg, i didnt get that, i might have a ad blocker, ill find a better news link. sorry for that.

to me, its not so much as that who am i to question their religion, its more that who is their religion to question reality. i mean you can only carry the religion excuse so far IMO. i think people take the religious scape goat way to far sometimes. its like blind leading the blind. in the aftermath those people realized they lost their son because of blind faith in something that obviously does not work.

they would have had the same results had they not prayed, annointed with oils and 'layed on hands'.... hed still be dead as dead.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
****ing *******s !
I don't know who are worse, the people selling the snake oil or the idiots drinking it !

Lucas
02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
poor snakes :(
lol

is this faith healing..um...?branch?...somewhat of a newer kind of group or have they always been around?

1bad65
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
****ing *******s !
I don't know who are worse, the people selling the snake oil or the idiots drinking it !

Without suckers there would be no con men.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Faith healers have been around for ages.
Healing via faith was part of the worldwide church of God and I think that Pentacostals use faith healing as do some branches of the Baptist faith.
Not 100% sure though.
People are stupid.

1bad65
02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Faith healers have been around for ages.
Healing via faith was part of the worldwide church of God and I think that Pentacostals use faith healing as do some branches of the Baptist faith.
Not 100% sure though.
People are stupid.

I was raised Baptist. We attended a few different churches, and I even went for a year to a private, religious (Baptist) school. I never saw any faith healing, nor was told the Baptist Church believes in it. My mother did tell me it was not something she or the Baptist religion believed in.

Pentecostals do believe in, and practice it, however.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I was raised Baptist. We attended a few different churches, and I even went for a year to a private, religious (Baptist) school. I never saw any faith healing, or was told the Baptist Church believes in it.

Pentecostals do believe in, and practice it, however.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

ittokaos
02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I am a pentacostal christian and yes, we do faith healing. However, that is not the only way we heal our ill. In that sense I believe that you are thinking of Christian Science. If I am not mistaken, they don't believe in anything but prayer. We believe(or maybe just me) that God heals but prayer isnt the only way that he heals. He created the earth and gave us medicinal herbs that are then turned into medicine. He gave man the ability to decern what can be used for healing and what can't be. He gave humans the passion and desire to want to heal the sick and because of it we have always had healers in one form or another. He gave us instincts to rub a sore area which eventually gave birth to theraputic massage. He instilled us with a reaction to put your finger in your mouth when you get a small cut which gave birth to the usage of sterilization for open wounds. The body we have been blessed with can heal itself and everything else really just helps it do that. I believe He heals us both directly and indirectly.

Faith healers can heal. That is something I myself have witnessed numerous times. About two or three weeks ago, one of the girls at my church sprained her ankle and twisted her knee. She had it wrapped up and was using crutches. Her knee was pretty badly swollen and brused. A pastor prayed for it and within a minute she could walk normally. After two, the swelling/brusing was gone and she could run. She has had no problems since then. Another lady at my church has been diagnosed with cancer 4 times and each time has been years apart. Everytime she has been diagnosed she prays and we as a church pray for her. And everytime the doctors decide to prescribe her something like chemo the cancer is already gone. They are more stories like this and yes, had I not experienced them, i probably wouldnt have believed.

Miracles are simply what we cannot explain due to the limited knowledge we have of the world around us. They are and have always been possiblities however not probabilites. Because of this we deem them impossible and chastise those who choose to believe that these occurances will in fact occur. However, they continue to occur and they continue to be unexplainable in the natural.

God does indeed give his power to all men(and women for that matter) you need only to call on Him and truly believe. The truly believing part is the hardest for most(myself inc). Also, the path that one must walk is a hard one and if one strays one will indeed lose that ability. For example, you may hear of those individuals that climb into a box of rattlesnakes and not get bit(for the power of the Lord is upon them or so they say). Then one day they do. Shortly after, you may hear that they were scamming people out of money and stealing from their own ministry. What God gives, he can take away if you choose to disobey.

As for the healers I can only assume that either God gave this person the anointing of the healer(that's what we call it) and took it away for what they did or they never had it and lied in order to scam. Either way, they will be punished for it and either way it is on the faith healers. For they were the only ones who KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt that they could either do it or not. It is not a gift that is easily faked and they had to have known before they even tried. They did it anyway and now someone is dead. A sad story indeed.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I appreciate your faith and respect it.
I believe in the power of faith and prayer and I believe it works better in CONJUNCTION with medicine and treatments.

BoulderDawg
02-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I don't believe in faith healing.

Funny how it's always something like cancer, sprains, arthritis...things like this.

I'll start taking notice when someone regrows a limb!:D

Lucas
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks for that post, its informative.

the aspect of our body healing itself is an interesting viewpoint i had not considered in the past....

1bad65
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Sorry, I don't believe in faith healing.

Funny how it's always something like cancer, sprains, arthritis...things like this.

I'll start taking notice when someone regrows a limb!:D

Wow! Very well put. I agree 100%.

People who believe in this should read James Randi'd book "The Faith Healers". Also, Mr Randi will pay $1 million dollars to anyone who can prove faith healing really works...

In Randi's book he did point out that after a 'revival', you see pill bottles, crutches, etc thrown up on stage, but you never see glass eyes, prosthetic limbs, or toupees. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
In Randi's book he did point out that after a 'revival', you see pill bottles, crutches, etc thrown up on stage, but you never see glass eyes, prosthetic limbs, or toupees.

**** dude, that crap is expensive !

B-Rad
02-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Well, there's a difference between eliminating something foreign in your body (healing sickness/cancer, etc.) and regenerating a body part you don't have.

In Randi's book he did point out that after a 'revival', you see pill bottles, crutches, etc thrown up on stage, but you never see glass eyes, prosthetic limbs, or toupees.

Drake
02-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Well, there's a difference between eliminating something foreign in your body (healing sickness/cancer, etc.) and regenerating a body part you don't have.

If the fmr Pres Bush hadn't stifled stem cell research, then we'd probably be a good halfway towards getting regeneration figured out.

I'm also ticked that Pres Obama cut off NASA.

1bad65
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm also ticked that Pres Obama cut off NASA.

Add that to the broken campaign promises list.

Drake
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Add that to the broken campaign promises list.

I'm pro science and research, and the last two presidents have seriously irked me. Even Reagan bugged me with his religious stodginess, though at least he pushed the space program.

SanHeChuan
02-10-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm really torn on this. Their religion says no doctors. Who am I to tell them they are wrong.

Their obligation to care for their child trumps their religious faith. The right to religious freedom does not give you carte blanche to whatever "god" tells you.

If they didn't take him to the doctor out of misguided faith, but because they genuinely thought he just had a cold/flu, would they be on trial? :confused:

David Jamieson
02-10-2010, 07:45 AM
When small pox was eradicated from teh world, the last holdouts were some fearful tribal folks in a shanty village in India.

A few of them had to be held down and vaccinated.

I think "faith healers" are not healers at all and when lack of medical action brings harm, then the decision to not act, while capable of taking action, is in fact criminal in my view.

Nobody has god powers anywhere. We are all human and it is our duty to lift people like this out of ignorance even if we have to hold them down and give them their medicine like mom would make us take ours.
\
They are obviously ill educated, willfully ignorant and downright stupid on so many levels they will need to taste bitter or be handled like children.

I am all for taking legal action against any one who wants to play at god with nonsense such as this and I don't care if they believe god will strike us down for making them well.