PDA

View Full Version : Want to start a Manhattan class

Ultimatewingchun
02-05-2010, 12:29 PM
....Taught TWC in lower Manhattan for 17 years...from October, 1984 to December, 2001...

and then moved my school to Brooklyn, where I still teach.

Want to see who's interested in a class in lower Manhattan 3 days per week
(Two weeknights....probably Monday: 7-9 pm...Wednesday: 7-9 pm...and Saturday: 12-3 pm).

In the Tribeca/Chinatown/lower Soho area.

Will start out strictly with TWC, with some time spent in each class on how I've learned to use some boxing/kickboxing through the years to either get a quick knockout, ie.- a rear cross....or....to use some boxing - but married to TWC CENTRALINE/SHOULDER LINE PRINCIPLES...

as a way to get to close quarter wing chun range...and use mostly William Cheung's TWC but also some of what I learned during my 8 years with Moy Yat - once in close quarters.

I will also teach some of what I've learned through the last 7 years or so about striking/wrestling in the clinch - including knee and elbow strikes...underhooks, overhooks, head control, arm wrestling/wrist control..(and chi sao skills also help in this area as well - which I will be teaching)...

and how to avoid/defend takedowns and shoots...and how to use some of them when it makes sense to use a takedown, throw, or sweep of your own to bring the man to the ground with you on top...

and some of what to do from a catch wrestling perspective if it does go to the ground - along with using striking (and wing chun is excellent at such close quarters) - if it does go to the ground.

There will be full contact sparring/rolling that incorporates using full protective gear for those interested in that as well.

Each class will include, during the first 20 minutes, lots of stretching, pushups, situps, jumping jacks for cardio, sprawls and neck/back bridges, concentration exercises, and chi kung breathing exercises.

If interested, either contact me on this thread, pm me, or email me at:

wingchun@usa.com

Moderator: I would appreciate it if you could sticky this thread.

-Thanks

wtxs
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
....Taught TWC in lower Manhattan for 17 years...from October, 1984 to December, 2001...

and then moved my school to Brooklyn, where I still teach.

Want to see who's interested in a class in lower Manhattan one day a week, probably on a weeknight.

It might expand to more days if the class grows.

Will start out with TWC, with some time spent in each class on how I've learned to use some boxing/kickboxing through the years to either get a quick knockout, ie.- a rear cross....or....to use some boxing - but married to TWC CENTRALINE/SHOULDER LINE PRINCIPLES...

as a way to get to close quarter wing chun range...and use both mostly William Cheung's TWC but also some of what I learned during my 8 years with Moy Yat - once in close quarters.

I will also teach some of what I've learned through the last 7 years or so about striking/wrestling in the clinch - including knee and elbow strikes...underhooks, overhooks, head control, arm wrestling/wrist control..(and chi sao skills also help in this area as well - which I will be teaching)...

and how to avoid/defend takedowns and shoots...and how to use some of them when it makes sense to use a takedown, throw, or sweep of your own to bring the man to the ground with you on top...

and some of what to do from a catch wrestling perspective if it does go to the ground - along with using striking (and wing chun is excellent at such close quarters) - if it does go to the ground.

There will be full contact sparring/rolling that incorporates using full protective gear for those interested in that as well.

It will be a pay-as-you-go basis of $20.00 per class...

and each class will be 2 hours long - and will include, during the first 20 minutes, lots of stretching, pushups, situps, jumping jacks for cardio, sprawls and neck/back bridges, concentration exercises, and chi kung breathing exercises.

If interested, either contact me on this thread, pm me, or email me at:

wingchun@usa.com

Moderator: I would appreciate it if you could sticky this thread.

-Thanks

Wish you success in this new venture.

Ultimatewingchun
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Thank you.

Sihing73
02-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Victor requested this be a sticky. I did not read the original posting so I failed to see the request. Anyhow, I am making this a sticky for a little while so people can see it.

Ultimatewingchun
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Thank you.

Phil Redmond
02-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Since I'm on E. 4th we'll almost be neighbors. Welcome back Victor.
We have some full contact events scheduled. The first one is April 10. I know it might be too soon but if you have any of your present students who'd be interested that would be cool. If April 10 is too soon there will be many more events.
Good Luck,
Phil

Ultimatewingchun
02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
It will definitely be awhile before I'll be thinking about competitions...need to see who's interested before I go out and rent a space....one good piece of news....spent 5 hours today with my most senior (and one of the very best students I've ever had: TWC Gold sash holder
Michael Mundy)....and he'll be coming to my new class...Mike stafted TWC with me back in 1989...

and spoke to Kimathi (Ki) Innis the other day (son of C.O.R.E.'s Roy Innis) - Ki started with me in 1993...also one of my very best ever (both are over 6' tall)...and he'll be coming back to my new class on a regular basis as well...

they both live in Manhattan and couldn't make my Brooklyn classes very often over the last 8 years...

but that will change...so the good news is that I'll have two very advanced TWC guys helping to assist me with the instruction and participating in the full contact sparring....

and I'll keep you guys posted as to when I intend to start and where the exact location will be.

Vajramusti
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Good luck with your Manhattan location.

joy chaudhuri

stonecrusher69
02-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Victor do you know about 440 studios on lafayette. I use them from time to time. it's very cost efective if you don't have many stds you just pay by the hr.

Ultimatewingchun
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Used that location back in 1996....was thrown out of there after the Emin Boztepe/Andrew Draheim incident. Tried to go back a few years later but they still said no.

Guess I'll have to change my name !!! ;)

Thanks for thinking of me, though...and thank you, Joy, for the good wishes! :)

Phil Redmond
02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Used that location back in 1996....was thrown out of there after the Emin Boztepe/Andrew Draheim incident. Tried to go back a few years later but they still said no.

Guess I'll have to change my name !!! ;)

Thanks for thinking of me, though...and thank you, Joy, for the good wishes! :)
Yeah, I remember that Keith Mazza/Draheim incident. I didn't know they didn't want you back there. Sorry to hear about that. In fact, I thought that was where you were going to start your new class.

Ultimatewingchun
02-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I might give it a shot there. Perhaps there's new management by now and they won't remember me.

But actually, most of the 17 years I spent teaching in Manhattan was in one location or another located just south of Canal Street in the Broadway area.

Which is what I've always preferred - so I intend to start looking there first.

Phil Redmond
02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Bok Lei Tat might be reopening in Chinatown so I might be there as well. Since I'm in the area I'll look for some spots for you. If I find some rental space I'll surely let you know. NYC's big enough for many WC schools.

Ultimatewingchun
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Have decided to move my entire operation back to Manhattan and do what I used to do for so many years...

Three classes per week, probably something like this:

Mondays..................... 7-9 pm

Wednesdays................ 7-9 pm

Saturdays................... 12-3 pm

Who's interested?

Contact me here or at: wingchun@usa.com

Ultimatewingchun
02-20-2010, 02:17 PM
So far two of my oldtime students and three of my current ones have said that they will definitely be attending my classes when I move to the Tribeca/Chinatown area in downtown Manhattan...

need at least 5 more before I go out and rent a space.

Two other brand new people have contacted me with interest, but I haven't met them yet.