PDA

View Full Version : Distinguishing Praying Mantis

mantis boxer
07-18-2000, 06:23 PM
There are many things that make praying mantis different from other styles. Our stances are high for the most part. When you have high stances, your hands can move a lot faster. We only kick at the waist and below. We have a lot of stomps. We also punch through our other hand whch creates a slapping sound. No other sttyle stomps and punches through the hand than the mantis style. These performed well should sound like a fire cracker when going through the form at full speed. All of our hand forms have a 2 man version. (all 30 or so) Mantis is also known for its spring action. Praying Mantis has elements from 17 other styles. For example, CHOY LAY FUT's big 3 moves are
#1 Sau (hook/roundhouse punch)
#2 Kwa (backfist w/ leopard fist)
#3 Chap (leopard fist straight punch)

In mantis
#1 is the exact same hook
#2 can be either the mantis backfist or the reverse left palm strike (used with a right arrow kick, and left palm strike, right hand is at waist)
#3 is our straight punch where you punch through the other hand. (right foot 7 star stance with a right replacing punch)

baji-fist
07-18-2000, 11:15 PM
I would have to disagree with your remark about preying mantis being the only style that utilizes stomps to issue energy through the hands. I am a bajiquan practitioner and one of the main features of our style is its loud stomps. Actually, one of my major styles is also Seven Star Preying Mantis, but I have noticed that Baji utilizes more stomping actions than the preying mantis style.

Personally, I love both styles. Preying Mantis has light nimble feet with very quick hands, where Bajiquan uses very direct, explosive, and linear movements (much like Xing I). In our lineage, we combined someof the aspects of the Bajiquan into our preying mantis, thus making it a bit more heavier than other lineages, but by no means more slower. If you would like to know more about our lineage, here is my webpage: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/2457/wutanhp.html
I hope we can share some more information about our systems.

------------------
You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

sean_stonehart
07-18-2000, 11:44 PM
I've seen Baji Quan demo'd before & there was plenty of stomping attached to really strong punches. I've heard different flavors of xing-yi also uses stomps for issuing energies. I know a Silat guru & he said they use stomps & punching thru hands for pretty much the same reasons listed and also to help align the spine at times. Chen Taiji uses stomps when issuing jings too y'know..

------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

loki
07-19-2000, 01:07 AM
Many styles utilize some stomping action to gather power from the ground, especially southern styles. Also, there are all kinds of kicks in Northern PM , both high and low. Remember that it is a northern system and PM has inherited alot of the high kicks which are found in the northern systems. Although the mantis student does not really see these kicks until they get to the higher forms.

Peace

rogue
07-19-2000, 01:14 AM
Can you explain this "punching through hands"? I've never heard of it.

baji-fist
07-19-2000, 01:22 AM
Sean,

I have also notice that Chen Taijiquan contains many stomps in it's forms. Chen Taijiquan and Bajiquan as a matter of fact are similar in issueing fa jing. Actually, our Grandmaster, GM Liu Yun Qiao, met Chen Fa Ke back in the early 30's. Both were surprise by the similarities in issueing fa jing in the forms. They later met closed doors to share their knowledge in their respective styles. GM Liu always held Chen Taijiquan in high regards as one of China's most effective systems. He would later send many of his disciples to learn Chen Taijiquan from Sifu Tu Ye Che, who learned his Chen Taijiquan from Chen Fa Ke's father, Chen Yen Hsi.

Actually I started on Chen Taijiquan before learning Bajiquan. I found that Chen Taiji helped me to prepare for Bajiquan. In our lineage, I would have to say hands down, my favorite styles are Bajiquan / Piquazhang, Chen Taijiquan, and Seven star mantis.

BTW, who was the Baji player(s) you have seen at the demo and from what lineage?

------------------

[This message has been edited by baji-fist (edited 07-19-2000).]

loki
07-19-2000, 01:23 AM
Simply take the left open hand and place it out in front of you with the palm facing towards you (let the fingerstips face your right side). Make a fist with the right hand then punch toward the left open palm. As the punch is moving forward begin to bring the left hand palm in to meet the punch somewhere in between. Punch (through) the left hand , actually it kind of skims off the left hand to create a slapping sound. The left hand comes back to the right shoulder. Mainly this is done for focus and conditioning of the punch. There are variations of course.

Peace

sean_stonehart
07-19-2000, 02:08 AM
Baji... I'm going to plead ignorance for not paying closer attention, but it was at a 1998 tournament in Florida in Orlando. I think his first name was Scott(???). He was Chinese or maybe Chinese-American fellow who looked to be in his mid 40's maybe with long thick hair that was a little wavy. Everytime he turned his head or stomped, there was this big mass of black hair being shook all around. He did a master's demo after the comp.

That's interesting about the "meeting of the minds" between Chen Fa-ke & your grandmaster. I'm not familiar with Baji history terribly. Is your GM from the Baji lineage of the same brothers that acted as bodyguards for P'u Yi in "Manchukuo" during WWII?? I heard they were relentless fighters & absolutely unbeatable.

------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

baji-fist
07-19-2000, 05:50 AM
Sean,

Hello there and good to hear from you! Yes my Grandmaster is from the same lineage of the Baji master who guarded Henry Pu Yi. I believe that Bajiquan master was GM Huo Dian Ge. He was a very powerful baji master back during the Qing dynasty. GM Liu Yun Qiao, he was the bodyguard of Chang Kai Shek, and also President Chang's martial arts teacher to his personal guards. GM Liu and GM Guo both were disciples of Great GM Li Shu Wen (aka God of Spear Li).

If you have the time, I have more info about Baji in my website: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/2457/wutanhp.html Hope to hear from you again and by the way, what style do you study?

------------------