PDA

View Full Version : WC similarities?

grasshopper 2.0
02-07-2010, 02:55 AM
hi folks - just came across this randomly. don't know too much about this..or whatnot, but thought it posed some similarities to wc - what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu-I-KDCaJs&feature=related

sihing
02-07-2010, 03:29 AM
hi folks - just came across this randomly. don't know too much about this..or whatnot, but thought it posed some similarities to wc - what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu-I-KDCaJs&feature=related

More Systema like than WC IMO. But it does represent that fact that the joints or power points can be used independently to generate some force in strikes, in the case of the video, the shoulder joint.

JR

weakstudent
02-07-2010, 05:08 AM
i like the video, from what i saw it looks more like a mantis fist from the south, but just for the record i liked what i saw.

HumbleWCGuy
02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I have seen some lineages of WC talk about using the spine to generate power. It seems like that system tries to take it to the Nth degree.

grasshopper 2.0
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
to me, i think it's amazing how some fighting styles just seem to converge...i don't know if it's coincidental, historical or influential...but it seems like there are basic ideas or principles that pop up over and over again...

they must be doing something right...

SAAMAG
02-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Let me pose this question to you....if that guy was to hit you with anything you saw in that video, do you think it would stop you?

Because while I'm open to new ideas, and understand the idea of using joint alignment and body mechanics to achieve power--I just don't see the power generation here.

anerlich
02-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Definitely RMA, Systema. That "wave" and the unusual shots with the elbow are fundamental to a number of RMA lineages. I've got a Scott Sonnon vid with a lot of similar stuff on it,and he explains the CONCEPTS behind it well (caps for T's benefit so he can do his truth in MA vigilante act on this thread as well, thank me later T).

Like TCMA, some RMA is very good, some of it less good, and some of it borderline looney tune stuff, like no touch KO's and the like.

IMO, very different to WC.

hunt1
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Much in common with pre yip man WC. Systema has WC from VN as part of its core.

anerlich
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Really, can you elaborate? Sincere question, not a challenge.

Vajramusti
02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
-------------------------------------------------------
I know zilch about Systema- but it appears that VN wc has branched into several versions- one of them atleast got mixed with other kung fu- the original roots are from what Yuen Kay Shan's brother took to VN.

joy chaudhuri

Northwind
02-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure what it is, but I know it's not southern mantis. I do like his flow tho - seems very monkey/ape flavor in his shoulder to elbow ripple. I'd guess it's a more recent creation, but again - I like his flow :)

hunt1
02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Anerlich when I lived in florida I was a consultant to some civilian companies that provided primarily security services of some type to US spec op command. I had the chance to meet and work with spec ops types from around the world including Russia. They picked up a lot from Vietnam beginning with the VN war era. What you see in the film for example is very much in keeping with the older version of chi sao you will find there and in older forms of wing chun. The body work you see may be may be a bit excessive but they had many exercises that were very similar in nature and function to ones my last teacher taught me. If you ever get a chance to see their original version of SNT you will see much in common with Pao fa Lein WC some versions of Cho family I have seen for example.
I tend to think that the body work that is common today comes from Chan Wa Shun and his students but there is no way to really say. Big thing is that really using the body the way it is shown is very difficult the common locked torso method is much easier and faster to teach.

Joy there seems to be two different sources for WC in VN but most seem to follow Yuen Chai and then many have added other stuff on top of that.

anerlich
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
hunt1,

Interesting, thanks.

grasshopper 2.0
02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
i see your point. i don't know if HE were to hit me and it doing anything..since well..i've never met the guy. but from my experience with others in WT/WC..simple movements and clip of an elbow in the right place with little effort can shake you up a bit.

generally speaking - the moves don't have to look powerful....it can look incredibly sloppy and weak but can break structure, manipulate the axis or just hurt when contact is made. deceiving, it is.

Let me pose this question to you....if that guy was to hit you with anything you saw in that video, do you think it would stop you?

Because while I'm open to new ideas, and understand the idea of using joint alignment and body mechanics to achieve power--I just don't see the power generation here.