PDA

View Full Version : Five Elements Praying Mantis?

Scarletmantis
09-25-2001, 07:24 PM
I met a fellow named Greg Fung in San Diego recently. He claims to teach a system of NPM that's called "Wu Hsing Tang Lang Chuan". I've never heard of this branch, but the guy obviously knew something about NPM. Any comments?

"Master, here is a stick. Please beat me for my insolence." - KC Elbows

BeiTangLang
09-25-2001, 08:44 PM
If I remember correctly, the plum flower system/potions of mantis are based upon the same principles.

"In the name of peace, destroy your enemies!"-Unknown

Scarletmantis
09-25-2001, 09:13 PM
Well, he talked alot about the "Five Elements" as in fire,wood,water etc. This is a feature of Mei Hua Tang Lang?

If so, I may train with him as I've always wanted to learn Plum Flower. It's my favorite 7* set too.

Tainan Mantis
09-26-2001, 03:08 AM
Plum Flower does not mention five element theory.
There are 3 ways to know what style of PM this style is related to.
1.Lineage
2.Names of forms
3.Names of techniques (in Chinese) in forms. Dif styles often have dif names for the same technique.

BeiTangLang
09-26-2001, 12:40 PM
Most chinese systems are based of of this anyway,...so maybe I was thinking of something else.

"In the name of peace, destroy your enemies!"-Unknown

mantis108
09-26-2001, 07:55 PM
I am kind of wondering if this would be a WuShu Mantis reinventing itself (hybird of WuShu Mantis) or if it is in fact a traditional obscure Mantis style?

I would echo Tainan Mantis's points as well.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Scarletmantis
09-27-2001, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I asked about lineage. He gave the same ol' Wong Long story we've all heard about, then fired off fifteen or twenty Chinese names I couldn't remember if you put a gun to my head.

As I said, he seemed very sincere, and his Mantis was very good. I really liked his body mechanics but the theory was so different from my practice (at least his description), that it was really over my head.

Any one have any ideas where I might check him out? The Mantis Cave didn't have any info on this style. :(

Oh, one more thing. This style specializes in the verticle fist (sun fist). I haven't seen that used exclusively before. A clue perhaps?

mantis108
09-27-2001, 09:08 PM
Did he shows basically forms or did he do application(s)? Besides the Sun Fist, what about the Hook-Grab-Pluck or other entry methodes? Of course, my favour question is how is the footwork? Sorry about all these questions but it just intrigues me.

The Sun Fist is quite widely used in TCPM applications because of economy of motion.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Scarletmantis
09-27-2001, 09:32 PM
The footwork used alot of stamping and short shuffling movements. He would jerk his upper body back and forth in conjunction with his footwork. What I was most impressed with was the short (as you pointed out, economic) hand movements. My early 7* training emphasized longer hand techniques, but as time has gone by, and I have been exposede to different styles, I haved found that I don't need such sweeping "Long Fist" style movements. Shorter strikes bring me in closer, are harder to percive and intercept, and produce more flexible power, IMHO.

He demonstrated five or six forms. Beng bu was the only one I recognized though his form bore little resembelance to any of the three Beng Bu sets I know. He also showed a set he called "Cutting Mantis" which consisted mostly of Ba Gua style palm techniques. He utilized the more unconventional willow leaf palm.

I asked him if his style was related to Ba Gua (I've dabbled in it myself), but he said no. He told me his Mantis was the original, pure, predates 7*, etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I liked the guy immensly. He didn't seem too old fashioned, and offered to teach me on a barter arrangement. He mentioned he might open a school in L.A. soon.

I'll keep ya'll posted as I plan on visiting him again in October. I'm intrigued too! ;)

Tainan Mantis
09-28-2001, 08:16 AM
Your description of the style sounds like Secret Door, but that would be highly unlikely. Somehow my Shr fu has deduced that this looks the oldest. It does have some vertical fists, but not as many as Taiji Mantis.
If you knew the name of his teacher and grandteacher, as opposed to a long list of names. Otherwise, assuming his teacher is Chinese, ask where his teacher is from. That will do a great deal to eliminate styles that it couldn't possibly be.

On an unrelated note, Wu Hsing-5 shapes, not elements-is mentioned in the old texts.
There are 5 internal and 5 external shapes. Since the Chinese words for 5 shapes and 5 elements sound identical, this may have caused some confusion.

Tainan Mantis
10-05-2001, 01:28 PM
What happened with you and this teacher?
I found wu-hsing-fist in a Beijing kung fu encyclopedia and was hoping to find out if there is any relationship between it and PM.

Scarletmantis
10-08-2001, 01:44 AM
I haven't seen him since our initial meeting. He lives about four hours round trip from my house. If and when I see him again, I'll post the results. I admit, the excitment of possibly finding a rare Mantis style has me very interested. However, I have yet to see anything to authenticate Sifu Fung's claims.

This style is called Wu Hsing Tang Lang Chuan. It looks very interesting. That's all I know. :)