which you like better

why?

comments.

;)

SPJ
02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
In the old China, there was dress code for royalty and civilians

the royalty and government officials would dress something in silk

the civilians may only wear something in cotton.

but which is more comfy or practical when you practice kung fu?
---

SPJ
02-09-2010, 08:43 AM
When I was in high school guo shu club and shuai jiao club

we only wore the cotton T-shirts

since it was humid most of the time

we sweated a lot

soon enough we would take the shirts off and bear chest

and long cotton pants would have sweats from waist down and near ankle tie-on

--

our body and arms were slippery with sweats, we had to use sweat towel all the time and a drink of water

--

nowadays, people have cooling fans and AC--

---

xcakid
02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
If you are going to sweat a lot, silk is not the way to go. Sweat stains in silk is hard to get rid off. Plus silk with stick to you.

I do use silk for form competition, but for everyday training its cotton. It breathes better and easier to clean. In my current kwoon we are required to wear the pants and the top. In my previous kwoon it was pants and the school t-shirt. For sanda, basically shorts and t-shirt.

Dale Dugas
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
my fav pants are cook pants, black big and poly cotton so you can beat em up and they last.

cotton over silk anyday.

David Jamieson
02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
cotton of course.

silk is too expensive to ruin with sweat. lol
Looks good if you like to do form performances though.

Cool-max stuff that wicks sweat is the best although a little pricey.

kfson
02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Cotton.

Silk on women, if anything at all.

Lucas
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
wool and burlap!

goju
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
nude like the ancient greeks!:D

kfson
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
nude like the ancient greeks!:D

I think I read someplace that though the Greeks did not wear clothes during these events, they where required to have foreskin.

bawang
02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
third world farmer cotton jacket is the best

dont forget to roll around on grass and sprinkle dirt on ur face for authentic look

TenTigers
02-09-2010, 02:09 PM
silk and satin is for performance only. It is completely unsuitable for any type pf workout. It isn't strong, so any type of grabbing is out of the question, and it doesn't fair well with sweat. If you're wearing silks, you're not training hard enough.
The only exception to this is thick raw silk, which is durable and strong, but it's like burlap-who would want it?

GLW
02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Depends on the type of silk. There is Silk Noil - which is thicker and has a lot in common with cotton as far as the durability, thickness, and so on. There was one importer a few years back that had pants and tops that were that type of silk - for practice clothes.

Although, I tend to personally go with cotton for practice and shiny silks for demo...unless it is summer in houston... silk pants with a t-shirt is actually more comfortable than cotton for the 98 degree 85% humidity aspect of Houston...but you need to wear decent underwear... :)

TenTigers
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Lion Dancing during Chinese New Year in NY is no picnic in silks. It's like wearing nothing at all. Thank God of Underarmor.

Lee Chiang Po
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Loose, baggy cotton pants and a tight T-shirt. Keep it easy to move. Silk feels and looks good, but is uncomfortable when it starts sticking to you. Most movement will eventually bring out sweat, but there is really no need to work that hard. If you are just working out you only need cotton shorts and T-shirt.

Shaolin
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Jonie Uniforms 50/50 poly cotton twill. Loose yet durable.

http://www.jonieuniforms.com/Shop/Scripts/default.asp

TenTigers
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Superior Martial Arts makes very strong, durable uniforms out of a middle weight poly/cotton. Jonie uniforms are very thin.

taai gihk yahn
02-09-2010, 05:21 PM
terry-cloth bathrobe for relaxed feel during taiji practice;

polyester if I'm training iron body...

goju
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I think I read someplace that though the Greeks did not wear clothes during these events, they where required to have foreskin.
man i didnt want to know that:eek:

goju
02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
i just wear loose sweats and no shirt
or a t-shirt or sweater if its cold:D

Shaolin
02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Jonie does offer a heavier fabric pant in their catalog. Superior doesn't offer whole sale and are over priced. I can sell my students the exact same poly cotton pants Superior offers at $3 cheaper and no shipping. Superior is good if I'm an individual practitioner but not good for school owners.

bawang
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
real man perform with no shirt
do hard qigong and show everybody ur huge pulsating muscles

goju
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
real man perform with no shirt
do hard qigong and show everybody ur huge pulsating muscles

exactly:D:D:D:D

uki
02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
durable military BDU's, t-shirt(offensive of course) low cut cotton socks, a pair of light hinking shoes and you are good to go!!! :cool: