PDA

View Full Version : Thread gone "off topic"

kfson
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Should a thread be closed because it has gone off topic?

David Jamieson
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, or pruned or moved into this forum.

kfson
02-10-2010, 07:16 AM
What is the reasoning and where is the line that establishes a threads move "off topic"?

Is this the O.P. determination or mod?

David Jamieson
02-10-2010, 07:37 AM
What is the reasoning and where is the line that establishes a threads move "off topic"?

Is this the O.P. determination or mod?

reasoning is generally what is underlined in the T&C of the site or at the discretion of a mod or admin.

The OP can request a thread is moved, or a Mod can move it if s/he determines it to be OT.

Are you mad because you had a thread moved?

kfson
02-10-2010, 12:56 PM
reasoning is generally what is underlined in the T&C of the site or at the discretion of a mod or admin.

The OP can request a thread is moved, or a Mod can move it if s/he determines it to be OT.

Are you mad because you had a thread moved?

No, I'm a mod on another site where the posters can be juvenile. We, the mods, were having a discussion about that question.
My response was to let the thread run it's course unless the O.P. had objections. Otherwise, a line would have to be drawn in the forum rules... and that is difficult to specify. Besides, some of the best threads go off on multiple tangents.

BoulderDawg
02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
every thread is different. Sometimes a thread will just naturally go in another direction. However I think ultimately it's up to the person who started the thread. If that person suggest "Hey guys let get back on topic" then those wishes should be followed.

Now if you have an A hole who simply comes on a thread and hijacks it then those particular posts should be removed....not the entire thread.

kfson
02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
every thread is different. Sometimes a thread will just naturally go in another direction. However I think ultimately it's up to the person who started the thread. If that person suggest "Hey guys let get back on topic" then those wishes should be followed.

Now if you have an A hole who simply comes on a thread and hijacks it then those particular posts should be removed....not the entire thread.

Should the mod leave the A hole posts until the O.P. complains or make the decision to delete and what guidelines should be used?

BoulderDawg
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
That is self evident. I would follow the lead of the thread starter. If they come on and say "What does that have to do with the topic?" and yet the guy continues to leave off topics replies then they should be removed.

I've said here, time and time again, "If you want to talk about YYYYY then create a thread for it but this thread is for XXXXX"