PDA

View Full Version : Daoism and the West

kfson
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Here is an interesting article:

http://www.esoteric.msu.edu/VolumeVI/Dao.htm

"...From the 1920s to the 1970s, Martin Heidegger drew on German translations of the Zhuangzi and the Daodejing (as well as Zen Buddhist texts) as primary sources for his philosophical reflections after writing Being and Time. In fact, Heidegger made his own translation of the Daodejing. Concepts such as being-in-the-world, releasement, letting-be, his affirmation of worldliness and “openness to Being” all seem resonant with primary Daoist teachings.

C. G. Jung, a proponent of modern alchemical and gnostic psychology, used the Wilhelm translation of the Yijing as a therapeutic aid in “exploring the unconscious” of his patients in analysis. Further, his popular idea of “synchronicity” was deeply influenced by his Daoist readings as an alternative holistic idea in the face of the more mechanistic theories of contemporary science. Jung also borrowed from the Daoist theory of visualization processes and from Yin-Yang to develop his theory of the polarity of the archetype and the general polarity of the psyche in search of wholistic integration..."

uki
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
nothing more than a p!ss stain...

David Jamieson
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Dr.Wayne Dyer uses Taoism as a base as well.
He's quite popular with people who are seeking meaning and purpose in their lives.

Taoism is good like that. Why reinvent the wheel? lol

uki
02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Why reinvent the wheel?first the wheel was stone...

Lucas
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
i come from secret line of ancient man who was smarter than the average bear, our first wheel was a log! we didnt have to do anything, we simply let nature provide!!!

uki
02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
i come from secret line of ancient man who was smarter than the average bear, our first wheel was a log! we didnt have to do anything, we simply let nature provide!!!and now mars is a desert wasteland. :p

Lucas
02-11-2010, 04:47 PM
i cant claim responsibility for EVERYTHING! okay okay mars was my fault .....:o

RAF
02-16-2010, 04:46 AM
There are a number of errors in the original paper and the author is incorrect regarding Carl Jung's animus/anima derivation from Daoism.

Scott R. Brown
02-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Martin Heidegger! Never heard of him!

Zhuangzi! Never heard of him!

C. G. Jung! Never heard of him!

Wilhelm! Never heard of him!

kfson! Never heard of him!

uki! Never heard of him!

David Jamieson! Never heard of him!

Lucas! Never heard of him!

RAF! Never heard of him!

Scott R. Brown! Now HIM I've heard of, but he's just a nobody, know-it-all!:p I understand he plays a MEAN TAMBOURINE!!!

P.S. What's Daoism?

kfson
02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
There are a number of errors in the original paper and the author is incorrect regarding Carl Jung's animus/anima derivation from Daoism.

Ok, sources.

kfson
02-16-2010, 07:10 AM

uki! Never heard of him!

RAF! Never heard of him!

Scott R. Brown! Now HIM I've heard of, but he's just a nobody, know-it-all!:p I understand he plays a MEAN TAMBOURINE!!!

P.S. What's Daoism?

pps, you can't be from here because I'm here.

David Jamieson
02-16-2010, 07:57 AM
first the wheel was stone...

reconfiguration and improvement is not reinvention. :)

lkfmdc
02-16-2010, 08:04 AM

uki! Never heard of him!

RAF! Never heard of him!

I hear they are all just David Ross posting under different screen names

Scott R. Brown
02-16-2010, 09:02 AM
I hear they are all just David Ross posting under different screen names

And who is David Ross again?

David Jamieson
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
And who is David Ross again?

Apparently it's me?

I dunno. Who is it?

RAF
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
See "Jung, the Tao, and the Classic of Change," Stephen Karcher, Ph.D., Harvest: A Journal for Jungian Studies, 1999, Vol. 45, No. 2.

Notes
1. ... He [Jung] found a deep confirmation of his ideas in Eastern thoughts on the Tao.

Jung's ideas were already well developed prior to his encounters with Eastern thought although Eastern thought had influence. Jung did not derive his ideas from Eastern thought or the Tao [Dao].

Scott R. Brown
02-17-2010, 02:33 AM
See "Jung, the Tao, and the Classic of Change," Stephen Karcher, Ph.D., Harvest: A Journal for Jungian Studies, 1999, Vol. 45, No. 2.

Notes
1. ... He [Jung] found a deep confirmation of his ideas in Eastern thoughts on the Tao.

Jung's ideas were already well developed prior to his encounters with Eastern thought although Eastern thought had influence. Jung did not derive his ideas from Eastern thought or the Tao [Dao].

This is not really surprising because Tao is a universal phenomena perceivable to all men, or it would not be Tao.

Anyone may perceive and understand the principles of Tao because they are inherent within all of creation. If one looks and learns, there it is! It is unnecessary, although perhaps it would be beneficial, to read the Tao Te Ching or Chuang-tzu or anyone else's writings on Tao in order to understand apply the principles of Tao.:)

kfson
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM

Notes

Though not Daoist, Eastern:
http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/occult/theosophy-swedenborg-blake.htm

"Carl Gustav Jung 1875-1961: "For years, ever since it was published, the... Tibetan Book of the Dead has been my constant companion, and I owe to it not only many stimulating ideas and discoveries but also many fundamental insights.

"The Bardo Thodol [Tibetan Book of the Dead] offers one an intelligible philosophy addressed to human beings.... Its philosophy contains the quintessence of Buddhist psychological criticism.... The Christian missionary may preach the gospel to the poor naked heathen, but the spiritual heathen who populate Europe have as yet heard nothing of Christianity.""

kfson
02-17-2010, 08:03 AM

Notes

By the way, I've been in this house:

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/b/bankowsky/j55.gif

Scott R. Brown
02-17-2010, 08:47 AM

I've been in a house!:eek:

kfson
02-17-2010, 08:53 AM

C.G. Jung's House, Bollingen, Switzerland

David Jamieson
02-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Do you now have all of Jung's thoughts due to osmosis from being in his former residence? :p

Scott R. Brown
02-17-2010, 08:59 AM

That's what I thought, but it would have been nice for you to say so in the first place, lol!;)

It could have just as easily been a samurai fortress for all I know!:)

kfson
02-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Do you now have all of Jung's thoughts due to osmosis from being in his former residence? :p

Not all, some I don't want to know.

uki
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Do you now have all of Jung's thoughts due to osmosis from being in his former residence?i have a similar experience of drinking(and falling into) from a well just beneath the acropolis in athens, greece that is well over a thousand years old... it was in a fenced off archeological area that served as home for the course of our stay in this great city - there is definitely something in the water. :D

RAF
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Jung ideas were well formulated prior to his readings of the Eastern culture. He found confirmation in the East and other cultures for solidifying his belief in the the Collective Unconscious.

His warning of following the Eastern path for Westerners is well known:

http://www.greatvessel.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=507&tabindex=3

Under Jung's Orientation