PDA

View Full Version : The Wolfman

Jimbo
02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I got to see The Wolfman today, and IMO it's the best werewolf movie ever (so far). Though it's generally a remake of the 1941 original, this new version outdoes it in every way. Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins are awesome in their roles of dysfunctional father and son. Emily Blunt is the love interest, and Hugo Weaving plays the inspector sent to stop the werewolf. The pacing, cinematography, sets (the family Estate gives a gross, mildewy impression) and balance between tension/foreboding and actual violence is excellent.

If I could have wished for anything more from this movie, it would have been for the werewolf to have had the longer-snouted, canine head which, though first popularized cinematically in The Howling (1981), was in fact was far closer to the werewolves of ancient lore. But that's a small thing. This movie shows that classic monsters, correctly updated, still hold up big-time.

10/10.

Dragonzbane76
02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
going to see it tomorrow. Looked at the reviews and it's mixed. Find out for myself tomorrow.

Zenshiite
02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I've heard so not so good stuff about it. Huh. Both from pro reviewers and normal folk.

I'll give it a shot eventually.

@PLUGO
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Saw it, enjoyed it. Worked hard to "honor" the source material, including the look of the wolf-man (vs. a "werewolf" the FX people have made a point to distinguish the two). It could have gone further in places but still enjoyable.

Dragonzbane76
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
enjoyed it as well. I liked the dark gothic atmosphere prevailing in the movie. I agree it stayed close to the source material. Overall a good flic.

Sihing73
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Hello,

Saw it tonight and enjoyed the film. I found the twist involving the dad to be a nice touch. Anthony Hopkins played the role very well, he seems well suited for the darker roles, (Fracture was very enjoyable as well as the one where he played the man who connected with the Apes-the name escapes me on that one)

Not to spoil anything but I thoroughly enjoyed the part where the "DR's" were going to prove he was delusional. I think they got what they deserved :D

Again, not a bad flick and IMHO worth seeing in the theater.

Brule
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Posting in late on this but hey, i'm kinda slow when it comes to watching movies.

I got to say, i loved this flick. It kept me entertained, and that's usually what i'm looking for when i rent. Will it keep me watching and wanting to see what's going to happen next. I agree that it could have gone into a bit more depth on some parts, but it didn't detract from the overall experience.

two claws up !!

sanjuro_ronin
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
When I first saw the movie I loved it and as I see more "werewolf" movies, I love it even more.
Now, I am not a stick in the mud in regards to how one turns from human to monster and I liked the Werewolfs of the Underworld trilogy ( though I liked Rhona and Kate far more), but truing into a WOLF, big or small, is just pain silly, sorry.
This was the RIGHT way to do it.
I think a "somehere inbetween" of this and Underworld MAY have been better, but I loved it.