PDA

View Full Version : How To Prove Your Art Works

wiz cool c
02-15-2010, 03:49 AM
If you get into some conversation about martial arts and you feel the need to show you know/can use your art, how do you prove it. I mean if you do jujitsu you get on the ground and roll, easily dominate someone who has not grappled before. This will show the effectiveness of the style. You can spar with them but that can get a little ugly.

My two main styles are Bagua and Shuai Jiao. If mats and jackets are availbable I would like to ask the person to throw me and do the same, with safty in mind of course. The other way is push hands. This works great to demonstrate the power of internal.

This happend to me about a week ago. There is a guy at my job who is in good shape about 15 pound heavier then me and 7 years younger. He has had some training in Shaolin kung fu and karate.

So we are talking and somewhere in the conversation I get around to bagua and taichi and tell him I do a lot of standing and demonstrate standing post and he corrects me on this. So I get to the point where I feel I need to put up or shut up, so I explain how push hands are done. So first we do fix step. Now this is a guy that although very friendly, seems to prides himself on his strength, and is a slight bit macho in behaviour. Ok we square off and I explain you can't move your feet and the first one who losses his balance lost the round. We go a few rounds and I easily toss him out of his stance.

Ok so fix step is an acquired skill. So next we go to moving push hands. This is where you set a boundary and have to move the guy outside. Feet can move freely a clich is allowed, anything but grabbing, the hands must be kept open. Again I easily move him about at will.

If ever there is a game that shows and allows strength it is boundary wrestling. This left my friend feeling a little shocked and amazed. He then told me it felt like pushing a wall, and asked me how I can do this. I went back into my standing post and told him I do a lot of this.

David Jamieson
02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
First, reading your story indicates less about whether or not martial art is understood and more about a need for learning communication skills. :)

Conversation of martial arts that is filled with ego will only lead to exactly the scenario you describe.

You may as well just set up a match, invite people and proceed to demonstrate your skill if that is what you think you need to do.

Words are as empty leaving a mouth as they are dropped on a page when it comes to martial arts and proving their worth.

Only a tactile and quite visceral transmission will make clear the value or lack of it with a martial art and ones ability to use it.

Just pointing it out. :)

SPJ
02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
just a general answer

1. when we study and practice a move/posture

we have to know how it will work and also how it will not

2. parnter training to practice a said move/technique

at first cooperative and then resistant

---

if one wants to test one's skills against another

yes, set up a play fight with rules and safe guards

you want to exchange hands and learn from friends

you do not want to hurt your friends or injure him

--

if we do not concede, we may always ask and arrange a rematch

---

Northwind
02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Or...the art works by giving you what you wanted or needed when you began study..."Why do I want to study x?" and if after some time it has met those needs, then I would say that the art proved itself to you.

uki
02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
why worry or stress yourself out about it?? my martial works like this: physically **** with me and i'll ****ing hurt you... aside from that i don't need to prove it works to anyone. :)

bawang
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
if ur fist is big like a pot and u can hit things very hard ur art works

challenging a guy who knows nothing about push hands to a match of push hands... not so much

uki
02-15-2010, 02:10 PM
if ur fist is big like a pot and u can hit things very hard ur art workspots break...

bawang
02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
ur a fukin liar

pots neber break

i been cooking mister noodles for 10 years my pet pot wengweng has never let me down

besides if ur pot dies u prolly have new baby pots from all the eggs it laid

IronWeasel
02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Your ART probably works just fine.

But will it work for YOU?

...fight

mooyingmantis
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
wiz cool c,

Funny story! Thanks for sharing! :)

YouKnowWho
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
MA is for doing and not for talking. I see no value to talk to those who are not interest in your art. It will ends with challenge any way (That may be a good thing if you want to polish your skill).

No_Know
02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
2's 16 February 2010 A
Thinking about proving, I thought that a nay-sayer might see my proof and rationalize it away and say it doesn't count. I shgare and give and there is not about evidence for some perhaps.

Those who think they know are delighted if you demonstrate to their frustration or wonderment that there might be more to know.

I was tollerating a bully's taunts. Then the weasle of the class pushed the bully onto me/at-against me. I took this excuse to vent what I would not have tried if we were kept seperate and I could tollerate getting talked at. I did a move i might consider a Squirrel move One of two potentially lethal techniques (If you only hurtthem they can say is that all you've got-you're not so much. to understand enough that what they say is taunt to help you look bad if you lose and if you win...No fight is the height of proof that you are a superior warrior. The other proop is slightly less superior and they are injured hospitalized or dead.

But the question was more literally at how we individually prove our Martial Art.

My Family thing is Squirrel and my being alive is my proof. If I needed to have others validateit for it to count It wouldn't be Squirrel so much as I'm insignificant like me so I matter...Not always so-much the case wheww!.

The other incident was a gathering and they asked for several volunteers. I made the cut and when it was my turn I finally tested myself-ish. The manuals the thinkings the breathings...at a dinner afterwards Sifu told the others he hadn't wanted Me to go up there because I might have hurt the person.

BBBB A M M M M
B B A A MMMM MMMM
B BBB A A M M M M M M
B B AAAA M M M M
BBBB A A M M M M (BAMM) I was already good and understood to be so by someone who could gague that sort of thing. But ...No philosphy attemts here. I got hit with Humility and whith the words Shoa-Lin doesn't fight Shao-Lin I am less wanting proof of what I might can do. Let the moment tell, because no matter how good, sweet or fast or strong I do in demonstration the truth will happen more so with No crods of my choosing no time of my selection and no opponent I noticed. Here will be my proof. Until I get to proove myself I practice and Appreciate mySelf. And enjoy my chosen course of study , not as the only way for anyone to be, but for liking the way I had gone and the course changes and that I continue...in a Way that I like. Perhaps my Comprehension.

No_Know (Hwa-Hwa-Hwa) This I suspect was my name at School at the time. I had not been told so, just the moments I heard it (like two times) I put together that was me.

No_Know

...The bully needed stitches. The technique was a variation and I might tell a trusted who can respectit to not ever use it. Knowing of it further comp[letes a persons understanding. But in general I hope to not ever use that technique even in Need.

Things might can be darker than we Know. Hopefully we do not find need to see beyond Curiosity.

No_Know

wiz cool c
02-16-2010, 04:20 AM
a quick question didn’t bagua come from Shuai Jiao?[/QUOTE]

They have a connection in Beijing a while back, but bagua didn't come from shuai jiao.

Mr Punch
02-17-2010, 05:15 PM
My arts don't work. I talk aggressors and people wanting ****ing contests into boredom. :D

Nah, aikido, shooto and wing chun are very easy to demonstrate impressively. Although I do generally agree it's down to communication skills as David J said, and that you should never need to prove yourself as others have said. However, in reality some people just won't take 'no' for an answer.

Yum Cha
02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
2's 16 February 2010 A
Thinking about proving, I thought that a nay-sayer might see my proof and rationalize it away and say it doesn't count. I shgare and give and there is not about evidence for some perhaps.

Those who think they know are delighted if you demonstrate to their frustration or wonderment that there might be more to know.

I was tollerating a bully's taunts. Then the weasle of the class pushed the bully onto me/at-against me. I took this excuse to vent what I would not have tried if we were kept seperate and I could tollerate getting talked at. I did a move i might consider a Squirrel move One of two potentially lethal techniques (If you only hurtthem they can say is that all you've got-you're not so much. to understand enough that what they say is taunt to help you look bad if you lose and if you win...No fight is the height of proof that you are a superior warrior. The other proop is slightly less superior and they are injured hospitalized or dead.

But the question was more literally at how we individually prove our Martial Art.

My Family thing is Squirrel and my being alive is my proof. If I needed to have others validateit for it to count It wouldn't be Squirrel so much as I'm insignificant like me so I matter...Not always so-much the case wheww!.

The other incident was a gathering and they asked for several volunteers. I made the cut and when it was my turn I finally tested myself-ish. The manuals the thinkings the breathings...at a dinner afterwards Sifu told the others he hadn't wanted Me to go up there because I might have hurt the person.

BBBB A M M M M
B B A A MMMM MMMM
B BBB A A M M M M M M
B B AAAA M M M M
BBBB A A M M M M (BAMM) I was already good and understood to be so by someone who could gague that sort of thing. But ...No philosphy attemts here. I got hit with Humility and whith the words Shoa-Lin doesn't fight Shao-Lin I am less wanting proof of what I might can do. Let the moment tell, because no matter how good, sweet or fast or strong I do in demonstration the truth will happen more so with No crods of my choosing no time of my selection and no opponent I noticed. Here will be my proof. Until I get to proove myself I practice and Appreciate mySelf. And enjoy my chosen course of study , not as the only way for anyone to be, but for liking the way I had gone and the course changes and that I continue...in a Way that I like. Perhaps my Comprehension.

No_Know (Hwa-Hwa-Hwa) This I suspect was my name at School at the time. I had not been told so, just the moments I heard it (like two times) I put together that was me.

No_Know

...The bully needed stitches. The technique was a variation and I might tell a trusted who can respectit to not ever use it. Knowing of it further comp[letes a persons understanding. But in general I hope to not ever use that technique even in Need.

Things might can be darker than we Know. Hopefully we do not find need to see beyond Curiosity.

No_Know

Can somebody please translate...

Northwind
02-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I imagine he is simply answering the original question...It works for him, and in some times it works without his knowing exactly why (or sometimes even - just what the hell just happened).

Perhaps it's just his long-winded way of saying, "Yes, my stuff works for me".

Scott R. Brown
02-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Can somebody please translate...

Think of the art of talking without talking!:D