PDA

View Full Version : Does Any1 know or Have a Korean Sifu?

12-27-1999, 12:10 AM
This is directed to every1,

Does any1 know,have, or heard of any Korean Sifu? (ex. Lin Poon Chang or Chun Dai Soueng)
Especially if they teach N.Shaolin,Praying Mantis, or maybe even both

Does anyone know of any sites that have Korean Sifu or Korean Lineage?

Any response will be most appreciated. Thanks

warrenoh
04-02-2000, 06:41 AM
hi i was just passing by, i happened to train
sandong shaolin and Meihua danglang in korea
long time ago, lin poong jang laoshi died about 20 yrs ago, he's one of the few who brought danglang to korea. shin dae woong is still teaching in some where in europe.
KF styles being trained in korea is VERY traditional and effective, althou it takes somewhat long time to use in real combat.
like;.... when i began training, i had to stay in horse stance for 30 minutes, then i learned stupid-looking kicks....... tanglangchuan in korea has a very good lineage, since 9 out of 10 korean-chinese r sandong ppl, who escaped during jap. domination or after cultural revolution.

p.s i heard there's a good korean sifu in chicago.

[This message has been edited by warrenoh (edited 04-04-2000).]

Lost_Disciple
04-02-2000, 08:24 PM
A current classmate of mine from Ohio used to have a Korean sifu. His kicks are awesome, and I've seen his forms- they look really cool. The school was northern preying mantis, right now we're both in 7*.
I don't know his lineage though, sorry.

phoenixdog
03-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Chul Woo Jung in Denver.He doesn't teach openly anymore.His training methods can be described as brutal,where mantis is hard,effective and deadly.

mantid1
03-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I know of a tae kwon do guy who teaches a version of mantis (I think in Indianapolis). His family name is Choi (I know there is alot of them) and his brother has several Tae Kwon Do schools in Columbus Ohio.

I think they call the Mantis si pa gee (sp?) or something like that.

bung bo
03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Not mantis, but Park Bok Nam teaches bagua in VA or W.VA.

Three Harmonies
03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
More on Chu Woo Jung if you have it please!
Thanks
Jake :D

norther practitioner
03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
There is some Northern Shaolin (5 family) in Soul. I don't know about the mantis at all though.

SevenStar
03-29-2005, 11:16 AM
a buddy of mine trained bagua under park bok nam.

MasterKiller
03-30-2005, 12:06 PM
There is some Northern Shaolin (5 family) in Soul. I don't know about the mantis at all though.

Really? Where?

:p

fa_jing
03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
hey, Dr. Song teaches 7* mantis in Chicago. Song's Kung Fu. I checked it out and it looked good. However, I have a small feeling the original poster won't see this thread. Since, it was started in 1999.

cerebus
04-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I trained with a student of Shin Dae Woung in Italy. Shin was a school brother of Park Bok Nam under master Lu Shui Tien (who was originally from Shandong province) in Inchon Korea.

Whereas Park trained exclusively in Lu's Bagua, Shin learned his Shaolin, Tang Lang, Bagua, Hsing-I and Tai Chi. It was definitely very traditional stuff.

These days my former instructor's senior under master Shin, Giusseppe Bon has a website for his "Poon Ze" school in Vicenza, Italy. There are also other Shin Dae Woung students throughout Europe.

jamescook1
03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
hi i was just passing by, i happened to train
sandong shaolin and Meihua danglang in korea
long time ago, lin poong jang laoshi died about 20 yrs ago, he's one of the few who brought danglang to korea. shin dae woong is still teaching in some where in europe.
KF styles being trained in korea is VERY traditional and effective, althou it takes somewhat long time to use in real combat.
like;.... when i began training, i had to stay in horse stance for 30 minutes, then i learned stupid-looking kicks....... tanglangchuan in korea has a very good lineage, since 9 out of 10 korean-chinese r sandong ppl, who escaped during jap. domination or after cultural revolution.

p.s i heard there's a good korean sifu in chicago.

[This message has been edited by warrenoh (edited 04-04-2000).]
I trained under master Chun Kwon Ho, master Do Hak Soo, and grandmaster Wang Ju Wan. Please see webpage www.jamescooksite.com

mantid1
03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi James

Nice web site.

Wow, you have been around, war, mantis, karate, music and a fighting career.

It looks like you can back up your bio:)

Did you study mantis while you were in Vietnam? From what I understand the Tai Chi Praying mantis master lived there untill just before the US entered the war. I was just wondering if you trained with any of his students while you were there.

Thanks for any info.

Have a good day

Emeraldphoenix
03-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Master Cook,

It has been a long time since i have heard your name, Funny to see you here.

I studied with master Gary Foith long time ago. We used to attend tournaments with you and your students.

Saw you perform in a masters division last time i saw you. You could move like the wind.

Where are you based out of now?

Emeraldphoenix
03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
It has been years since i have heard that name. Nice to see you here.

I trained with ShiHan Gary Foith years ago. We used to attend tournaments with you and your students. Last time i saw you, you were performing in a master's division and you could move like the wind.

Always nice to see people from the old school days.

Emeraldphoenix
03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
It has been years since i have heard that name. Nice to see you here.

I trained with ShiHan Gary Foith years ago. We used to attend tournaments with you and your students. Last time i saw you, you were performing in a master's division and you could move like the wind.

Always nice to see people from the old school days.

Emeraldphoenix
03-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Dog on key board:D