PDA

View Full Version : How do you spread the artform?

David Jamieson
02-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Besides actively teaching in a club or kwoon, what is it that you do to perpetuate the arts as you have learned them?

I personally keep a kwoon and invite other martial artists to come, exchange and train with our small group. It's fairly straightforward and open. This is the vehicle by which I share and explore martial arts with friends and soon to be friends.

Also, I spend time on these forums and when not distracted by or playing with the trolls, I try to give as clear answers as I can in regards to my own understanding of the arts.

What do you do? :)

David Jamieson
02-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh, and practice something every day. This is the principle key for me.

lkfmdc
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
challenge people's views, upset them, rattle their cages, turn convention upside down, harass them, demand they prove their theories, point out the ilogic in their contentions, demand evidence, take their gods off their pedastals, kill the Buddha, the walrus is dead, you know, that sort of stuff

Shaolin
02-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Heart to heart, mind to mind.

Yum Cha
02-18-2010, 10:23 PM
challenge people's views, upset them, rattle their cages, turn convention upside down, harass them, demand they prove their theories, point out the ilogic in their contentions, demand evidence, take their gods off their pedastals, kill the Buddha, the walrus is dead, you know, that sort of stuff

koo koo ka Choo!

Lokhopkuen
02-19-2010, 01:40 AM
I gently sprinkle deadly gung fu goodness airwhere I goes:p

Drake
02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Spar with other styles. Even if you lose.

SPJ
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Besides actively teaching in a club or kwoon, what is it that you do to perpetuate the arts as you have learned them?

I personally keep a kwoon and invite other martial artists to come, exchange and train with our small group. It's fairly straightforward and open. This is the vehicle by which I share and explore martial arts with friends and soon to be friends.

Also, I spend time on these forums and when not distracted by or playing with the trolls, I try to give as clear answers as I can in regards to my own understanding of the arts.

What do you do? :)

yi zi jue or one word secret.

So I was practicing several styles of CMA at Taipei Youth Park in the late 1970s.

several kids approached me and seemed much interested in whatever I was doing

I was doing several things. How do I instill something in their minds? they may remember for life

one word secret.

1. Ba Ji is about ding. (pushing) I ding where ever your arms are out of the way--

2. Ba Gua is about chuan. (piercing) I chuan your forearm.---

3. Tai Chi is about chan. (entanglement or silk reeling) I chan your forearm, your body--

4. Mantis is about gou (hooking). I hook your forearm, I hook your leg---

--

They have absolutely no ideas what I was talking. But they take home a word for each style. They would know what I mean in years to come, if they have a chance to study and practice any of the style I mentioned--

--

Let the audience take home or learn one idea at a time.

---

bawang
02-19-2010, 10:11 AM
i think its abt qualty not quantity
ppl ned 2 raise standards. if ur good u ned 2 mak sur ur students r good also

WinterPalm
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I like to think that people I train with can see my love and passion for the martial arts and maybe be infected by it. I encourage all those around me to train in martial arts and to better themselves. This includes seasoned martial artists: why not expand and learn BJJ or Thai boxing or whatever...seeking constant improvement and refinement.

I guess I don't spread an artform, more just encourage others to participate and grow.

Dragonzbane76
02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I spread it like any other STD. :)

Lee Chiang Po
02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, as my father learned it before me, he taught me, I have taught my son, and he his son. That is 4 generations of Hung Fa. Always taught the same as it was learned, and only to family, and if not just family, never outside the Chinese race. Never taught to those that would mongralize it and corrupt it beyond all recognition. I have only taught it to a small hand full of Chinese American people, and they promised the same. That is what I have done for my art.

WinterPalm
02-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, as my father learned it before me, he taught me, I have taught my son, and he his son. That is 4 generations of Hung Fa. Always taught the same as it was learned, and only to family, and if not just family, never outside the Chinese race. Never taught to those that would mongralize it and corrupt it beyond all recognition. I have only taught it to a small hand full of Chinese American people, and they promised the same. That is what I have done for my art.

Race is a theoretically bankrupt concept...perhaps you should read modern genetic theory outside of Victorian England.

David Jamieson
02-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Race is a theoretically bankrupt concept...perhaps you should read modern genetic theory outside of Victorian England.

lol.

WinterPalm
02-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I guess I fed the troll...:(

Yum Cha
02-19-2010, 02:50 PM

you failed.

Lee Chiang Po
02-20-2010, 11:00 AM
True, it is not what some of you would have done, but how is it failure? I kept a promise, and I did not allow it to die with me. I feel I have done my part to extend it into the future. I might not have spread it far and wide, but how is that to equate to success?

bawang
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
american chinese is no different from caucasians

theres other things to look for in people than race

Yum Cha
02-20-2010, 04:40 PM
True, it is not what some of you would have done, but how is it failure? I kept a promise, and I did not allow it to die with me. I feel I have done my part to extend it into the future. I might not have spread it far and wide, but how is that to equate to success?

The father cannot teach the son. Too much is bound up, forgiven, moderated and essentially lost. Pride and prejudice are not the hallmarks of a good teacher.

I understand about mongeralisation of TCMA, but Chinese are as guilty of it as round eyes. By all accounts I've heard, TCMA is stronger in the west now than in the east.

The same rules apply, 1 in 10 will try to learn, of those 1 in 10 will be able to learn, of those 1 in 10 will learn the complete style, of those, 1 in 10 will be able to teach, of those 1 in 10 will be a good teacher.

I've seen firsthand how your philosophy failed, several times - I don't know you, perhaps you have managed to circumvent these pitfalls, but I doubt it.

ingchao
02-20-2010, 05:58 PM
you failed.

No HE didn't, the Chinese that taught qwai lo who invented McDojo's did.

Lee Chiang Po
02-21-2010, 07:40 PM
american chinese is no different from caucasians

theres other things to look for in people than race

This is absolutely correct. The only differences is in that some retain a little of the culture, but not many. Most do not speak the Chinese language. I don't. But a promise is a promise, and at one time there was a huge difference in American Chinese and caucasians. Not so much today. My gung fu goes back 50 years, and almost everyone over 30 spoke a mix of chinese dialects. Today, we are pretty much assimilated into the population. My father felt that since nothing had changed much in his own lifetime that it would not change in mine. But he was wrong about that. Things did change, and it changed faster and faster as time went by. I can easily remember in some places having to enter the side or back entrance with black people because I am a person of color. Back then races were even more clannish than they are today.

Lee Chiang Po
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
The father cannot teach the son. Too much is bound up, forgiven, moderated and essentially lost. Pride and prejudice are not the hallmarks of a good teacher.

I understand about mongeralisation of TCMA, but Chinese are as guilty of it as round eyes. By all accounts I've heard, TCMA is stronger in the west now than in the east.

The same rules apply, 1 in 10 will try to learn, of those 1 in 10 will be able to learn, of those 1 in 10 will learn the complete style, of those, 1 in 10 will be able to teach, of those 1 in 10 will be a good teacher.

I've seen firsthand how your philosophy failed, several times - I don't know you, perhaps you have managed to circumvent these pitfalls, but I doubt it.

I was told that many times, but it is not true. The father can teach the son. It depends upon a good many things. Today, respect for ones father is not as common as it might have been 50 years ago. My father expected more from us, as I did from my own son, and he his son. In fact, I found it far easier than teaching some one elses sons. I have always been fairly successful in life, my son more so, because he knows discipline, and now his son. Discipline has always be strong in the family.

David Jamieson
02-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Is it just me or is Texas the hotpot for crazy americans of all types? lol

SPJ
02-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I was going to say use the internet

facebook, twittering, myspace--

but I really do not the know them that well

it used to be yellow pages and flyers, phone number

now it is website and email

---

SPJ
02-22-2010, 09:17 AM
the best or most effective way

is to join local culture events and "show off" your school

there is a chinese martial arts festival each year in 228 memorial park (formerly taipei new park)--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gU7ZVjW__A&feature=related

ba gua pao chui

a good demo with 8 students outside representing post heaven 8 gua (wen wang ba gua)

an excellent explaining of 8 gua, internal organs, lung, heart----

by He Jin Han

pre heaven 8 gua is fu xi 8 gua.

:cool:

bawang
02-22-2010, 09:05 PM
the best or most effective way

is to join local culture events and "show off" your school

there is a chinese martial arts festival each year in 228 memorial park (formerly taipei new park)--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gu7zvjw__a&feature=related

ba gua pao chui

a good demo with 8 students outside representing post heaven 8 gua (wen wang ba gua)

an excellent explaining of 8 gua, internal organs, lung, heart----

by he jin han

pre heaven 8 gua is fu xi 8 gua.

:cool:

花拳入门
错了一生

the saying is flower fist ruins a life but here it ruined 8 lives

Yum Cha
02-23-2010, 03:31 AM
I was told that many times, but it is not true. The father can teach the son. It depends upon a good many things. Today, respect for ones father is not as common as it might have been 50 years ago. My father expected more from us, as I did from my own son, and he his son. In fact, I found it far easier than teaching some one elses sons. I have always been fairly successful in life, my son more so, because he knows discipline, and now his son. Discipline has always be strong in the family.

You sound like a proud father indeed. Every father who teaches his son naturally believes he can do the best job, otherwise he would do otherwise. Love and family are very strong in all of us.

Is you Son's kung fu better than yours was? How do you know? Don't answer me please, just think about it. It only means something to you, not me.

Is discipline the secret to teaching kung fu? To my mind, ownership, self motivation and internal dedication, not discipline are the secrets. The student must find the right teacher and yet not depend upon him to excel. He must make it his own. Skill comes from the student's 'kung fu', not the teacher's discipline.

In my experience, kung fu held tightly is kung fu lost.

I'm sorry for your racist experiences as a child, and sorry too that you cannot move past it as an adult. It is a blade that has cut you twice, once by the hand of your enemy, once by your own hand.

Good luck to you and your family, I hope indeed you find satisfaction from your choices. I apologise if I sound harsh, I've learned from Chinese who think like you do, and form Chinese who believe otherwise.