PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 of Texans Stupid?

MasterKiller
02-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Nearly a third of Texans believe humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time, and more than half disagree with the theory that humans developed from earlier species of animals, according to the University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

The differences in beliefs about evolution and the length of time that living things have existed on earth are reflected in the political and religious preference of our respondents, who were asked four questions about biological history and God:

• 38 percent said human beings developed over millions of years with God guiding the process and another 12 percent said that development happened without God having any part of the process. Another 38 percent agreed with the statement "God created human beings pretty much in their present form about 10,000 years ago."

• Asked about the origin and development of life on earth without injecting humans into the discussion, and 53 percent said it evolved over time, "with a guiding hand from God." They were joined by 15 percent who agreed on the evolution part, but "with no guidance from God." About a fifth — 22 percent — said life has existed in its present form since the beginning of time.

• Most of the Texans in the survey — 51 percent — disagree with the statement, "human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals." Thirty-five percent agreed with that statement, and 15 percent said they don't know.

• Did humans live at the same time as the dinosaurs? Three in ten Texas voters agree with that statement; 41 percent disagree, and 30 percent don't know.

The questions were devised by David Prindle, a University of Texas government professor who authored a book called Stephen Jay Gould and the Politics of Evolution, about the late evolutionary biologist. "The end in mind … is to establish the relationships, not just to get raw public opinion," he says. "We can do some fancy statistical stuff. … Is it religion driving politics or is politics driving religion? My hypothesis is that religious views drive politics."

The most common religious denominations in the survey were Catholic and Baptist, with 20 percent each, followed by nondenominational Christians, at 10 percent, and Methodists, at 6 percent. Eight percent chose "spiritual but not religious," and 7 percent chose "other." Only 6 percent identified themselves as atheist or agnostic. An overwhelming majority said their religious beliefs were extremely important (52 percent) or somewhat important (30 percent). Only 35 percent go to church once a week or more; 52 percent said they go once or twice a year (29 percent) or never (23 percent).

Church attendance isn't much different among Republicans and Democrats in the poll, though Republicans who do go to church say they go more often. More than half of the Democrats — 51 percent — go to church "never" or "once or twice a year." That's true of 45 percent of the Republicans in the poll. Forty-two percent of Republicans say they attend church at least once a week, compared to 35 percent of Democrats.

Democrats (28 percent) are less likely than Republicans (47 percent) to think that humans have always existed in their present form and more likely (21 percent to 7 percent) to think humans have developed over millions of years without God's guidance. About the same percentages of Democrats and Republicans (40 and 36 percent, respectively) believe that evolution took place over time with God's guidance. Democrat Bill White's voters were the most likely to believe in evolution without a divine hand (33 percent); on the Republican side, by comparison, only 6 percent of Rick Perry's supporters were in that category.

Has life on earth always existed in its present form? Republicans are more likely to agree (29 percent) than Democrats (16 percent). They're less likely to believe that life evolved over time with no guidance from God (8 percent to 24 percent). Democrats are slightly less inclined to believe in evolution with a "guiding hand from God" (50 percent to 55 percent).

Republicans are less likely to believe that humans developed from earlier species of animals; 26 percent agree, while 60 percent disagree. Among Democrats in the survey, 46 percent agree that humans evolved from earlier species; 42 percent disagree. Perry's voters were most hostile to this premise — 67 percent disagree.

About the same numbers of Democrats and Republicans — 43 percent — disagree with the idea that dinosaurs and humans lived on the planet at the same time. Republicans were slightly more likely to agree with the idea (31 percent to 27 percent). Perry had more voters in each group on the GOP side, but Kay Bailey Hutchison had the largest share of voters who believe in that coexistence.

Prindle says the results recall a line from comedian Lewis Black. "He did a standup routine a few years back in which he said that a significant proportion of the American people think that the 'The Flintstones' is a documentary," Prindle says. "Turns out he was right. Thirty percent of Texans agree that humans and dinosaurs lived on the earth at the same time."

Luk Hop
02-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Having lived in Texas for sometime, I would say 1/3 of Texans in general are just that.....yet 52.9% of the U.S. electorate expected change when they voted for Obama. Go figure.......

uki
02-21-2010, 10:13 AM
there's peyote in texas...

kfson
02-22-2010, 07:15 AM
We are different in Texas.
Austin, the source of the investigation, is the lone, premier, liberal island in Texas...

1bad65
02-22-2010, 08:30 AM
We are different in Texas.
Austin, the source of the investigation, is the lone, premier, liberal island in Texas...

True.

Also, we can't be too stupid. After all, the top 5 job/housing markets nationwide are in Texas. Liberal states like California, New York, and New Jersey are teetering on bankruptcy, while we are running a surplus.

BoulderDawg
02-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I still wish they would leave the US like they have been threatening to do. The few teabaggers in Colorado are welcomed to pack their bags and head down...also any liberals trapped down there are more than welcomed in Colorado.

Maybe they could move the entire city of Colorado Springs!:D

kfson
02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I still wish they would leave the US like they have been threatening to do. The few teabaggers in Colorado are welcomed to pack their bags and head down...also any liberals trapped down there are more than welcomed in Colorado.

Maybe they could move the entire city of Colorado Springs!:D

All the liberals in Colorado are from out of town.

Drake
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I've never had a good experience while in Texas. This is strictly a personal opinion based off of my experience.

kfson
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
I've never had a good experience while in Texas. This is strictly a personal opinion based off of my experience.

You need to learn to "Cowboy Up".

SnowDog
02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
All the liberals in Colorado are from out of town.

Ahhhh, Sounds like you don't know about the "People's Republic of Boulder" I take it. :D

kfson
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Ahhhh, Sounds like you don't know about the "People's Republic of Boulder" I take it. :D

I went to Boulder High School.

SnowDog
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
LOL!!!!

I guess you know it well then.

Dragonzbane76
02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
there's peyote in texas...

haha yes there is. And a lot of other drugs coming across the border as well. :p

Scott R. Brown
02-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Humans DO live with dinosaurs!!!!!

Any idiot should know that......ummmmmm anyone ever heard of alligators and crocodiles?????

They have been around for about 670 million, gazillion years!!!!!!:p

Scott R. Brown
02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
BTW peyote is about the most horrible tasting thing you will ever eat!!!!!!

If you can keep it down you are a Saint.....

you may refer to me as St. Scott!!!!!!:eek: :D

Dragonzbane76
02-22-2010, 07:15 PM
BTW peyote is about the most horrible tasting thing you will ever eat!!!!!!

If you can keep it down you are a Saint.....

you may refer to me as St. Scott!!!!!!

anything that drinks the juices of dung has to taste horrible IMO.

Scott R. Brown
02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
anything that drinks the juices of dung has to taste horrible IMO.

I actually went out with an experienced harvester and they don't grow anywhere near dung!

Most of them grow under the chaparral beneath the fallen leaves. If you don't know where to look it is nearly impossible to find!

In a couple of hours I found about 5 and he found near 100!

Dragonzbane76
02-23-2010, 04:38 AM
:)huh... i always thought they grew on dung or something. learn something new everyday.

uki
02-23-2010, 04:54 AM
huh... i always thought they grew on dung or something. nope... peyote is the flower-pod/bud on a species of catcus(peyote) - psilocybe mushrooms are the magic mushrooms that grow on poop, though not every member of the family, some do grow on wood or in the grass... LOL... you mean you never picked some fresh shrooms, brushed the poop off and ate them in the field?!?!?!

learn something new everyday.sometimes from the most unlikely sources. :)

Dragonzbane76
02-23-2010, 05:07 AM
you mean you never picked some fresh shrooms, brushed the poop off and ate them in the field?!?!?!

nope can't say i have and probably won't considering factors in my life. :)

David Jamieson
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I think 1/3 is being a little generous.

lol

solo1
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
1/3 of Texans think that the "theory of evolution" is bunk, so?

Whats shocking is +50% of supposedly bright Americans voted for a 47 year old "community activist" who is worth millions despite NEVER holding a paying job, bought his Hope and Change schtick like drooling idiots watching a late night infomercial, a guy with ties to professional criminals in chicago, a junior senator with 157 days in office, no legislation with his name on it, sealed tax documents, sealed college transcripts, no experiance in the private sector, whose resume is so thin he couldnt get hired as a grocery store cashier is perfectly qualifed to be the leader of the free world.

Ive lived in Texas and Texans are some of the most honest, open minded, finest people I have ever known.

MasterKiller
02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
1/3 of Texans think that the "theory of evolution" is bunk, so?

Whats shocking is +50% of supposedly bright Americans voted for a 47 year old "community activist" who is worth millions despite NEVER holding a paying job, bought his Hope and Change schtick like drooling idiots watching a late night infomercial, a guy with ties to professional criminals in chicago, a junior senator with 157 days in office, no legislation with his name on it, sealed tax documents, sealed college transcripts, no experiance in the private sector, whose resume is so thin he couldnt get hired as a grocery store cashier is perfectly qualifed to be the leader of the free world.

http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/George_Bush.jpg

BoulderDawg
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I think working in and serving the community is perfect training for higher office.

The founding fathers never envisioned career politicians. They were thinking of farmers, craftmens and others taking time out to serve the people....to bad we no longer do that.

1bad65
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
The founding fathers never envisioned career politicians. They were thinking of farmers, craftmens and others taking time out to serve the people....to bad we no longer do that.

Now we have a President whose friends bombed the Pentagon. I'm sure they never envisioned that either.

FYI, Ron Paul is a doctor who only served after he became much older. He actually got his name recognition early on due to the fact he delivered thousands of babies in his Congressional district.

1bad65
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Keep taking pot-shots at how stupid Bush is. It will make Obama look that much more stupid after he leaves the country worse off than it was when Bush left office.

So far our debt and unemployment are higher. He's off to a rocket start....

SanHeChuan
02-23-2010, 12:41 PM
It's hard to teach evolution, when everyone one is crying foul. Most education is done with the premise that the student will buy whatever you tell them, but with evolution you really have to teach that sh!t aggressively. You can't teach it at face value you have to try to convince them.

My human ecology teacher with a master of science of I don't know what, doesn't even understand what a theory is let alone evolution. :(

I don't mind if they think god planned evolution or what have you, but the rest of that sh!t is just plain ignorance. I don’t think that means they are stupid so much as brainwashed. :(

BoulderDawg
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
The teabaggers simply want to end any thoughts of teaching evolution in school at all. I remember in Georgia this was a big issue. That and the "pray in school" thing.:D

I did some substitute teaching for a while down there and the bible thumpers had raised such a fuss that they finally caved in to them and made the schools have a "moment of silence" each and every day.:rolleyes:

And guess I did NOT allow pray in my class. I told the students that you were in class no more than four hours a day.....that left you 20 hours a day that you were free to pray til you were blue in the face.;)

Also you would simply not believe how superstitious these kids were. This was 1998-1999 and over half the kids thought the world was going to end in 2000! I'm sure the same is going on today for 2012.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Texans.
http://www.mykaussie.com/images/CwoasTexan.jpg

1bad65
02-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I did some substitute teaching for a while...

And we wonder why our educational system is a joke.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
nope, not at all
http://www.uncoached.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/texans_cheerleaders_11.jpg

1bad65
02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
BD won't like the one on the right.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
BD won't like the one on the right.

The fine looking nubian babe?

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
:D
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/2/633742972701313560-MUSTANG.jpg

kfson
02-23-2010, 01:58 PM
HUH?

http://regehr.com/warren/warren_in_truck_2.jpg

David Jamieson
02-23-2010, 02:28 PM
kfson, clearly you are new to pic fu.

try to learn from teh master above ok?

thx.

:D

solo1
02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I think working in and serving the community is perfect training for higher office.

He has no experiance in the real world. He is the most unexperianced person in the room and it doesnt matter what room that is. Obama is a petulant, hostile child.

uki
02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
He has no experiance in the real world.most politicians don't these days...

MasterKiller
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
He has no experiance in the real world. He is the most unexperianced person in the room and it doesnt matter what room that is. Obama is a petulant, hostile child.

http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/George_Bush.jpg

1bad65
02-25-2010, 12:21 PM
US unemployment rate Jan 2009: 7.6%
Current US unemployment rate: 9.8%

Which one is the dunce again?

MasterKiller
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM

US unemployment rate April 2000: 3.9%

Drake
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM

http://www.bls.gov/cps/prev_yrs.htm

Prepare for a few surprises...

1bad65
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Unemployment went over 6.1% a total of 5 months of Bush's 8 years in office.

In the 13 months of Obama, it's never been below 7.6%. And that was in the month he took office! It's been higher than that every month. He's only had 4 months where its been below 9%!

And Obama has set record deficits while unemployment keeps going up. :eek:

Reality_Check
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM

I guess that means Ronald Reagan was a dunce, huh?

Source: http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/SurveyOutputServlet

Unemployment rate when Ronald Reagan took office in January 1981: 7.5%

Unemployment rate in:

September 1982: 10.1%
October 1982: 10.4%
November 1982: 10.8%
December 1982: 10.8%
January 1983: 10.4%
February 1983: 10.4%
March 1983: 10.3%
April 1983: 10.2%
May 1983: 10.1%
June 1983: 10.1%

Month unemployment rate drops below the 7.4% of August 1981: September 1984.

1bad65
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I guess that means Ronald Reagan was a dunce, huh?

Not at all. Unemployment was around 5% when Reagan left office. Even Obama has said unemployment will hover around 10% for at least another year or so. It's not expected to drop below 9% until into his 3rd year. And these are HIS projections. Of course he predicted unemployment would not break 8% if we passed the stimulus....

1bad65
02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
And the recession of 1983 was caused by the rise in interest rates. This had to be done to combat the double-digit inflation Reagan inherited. So when unemployment broke 10% under Reagan, it was at a time interest rates were high. Under Obama, we have almost record low interest rates, yet unemployment is around 10%. That is not good, and very scary.

David Jamieson
02-26-2010, 01:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kunglek/animes2out3.jpg

1bad65
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Good one David. ;)

Luk Hop
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ....................

http://planettrash.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/weiner_1903.jpg