PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT'S a horse stance

IronFist
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.fightingarts.com/content00/graphics/kibas7.jpg

From here:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=13

Disclaimer: I didn't read that site or anything, I just randomly found the pic in google images and wanted to post it here.

David Jamieson
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
yeah that's um, wrong...lol

TaichiMantis
02-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Man, he rides a BIG FAT HORSE!:rolleyes:

David Jamieson
02-24-2010, 04:10 PM
indeed.

more like "corpulent horse stance"

possibly

"ride the elephant stance"

or

"goatse prep stance" :D

uki
02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
anyone else notice the circle?? great picture. :)

YouKnowWho
02-24-2010, 05:59 PM

I don't know the purpose of this wide horse stance. It does not give you the best balance. It's useless in combat. If someone spring one of your leg from inside out, you will fall.

David Jamieson
02-24-2010, 07:06 PM

I don't know the purpose of this wide horse stance. It does not give you the best balance. It's useless in combat. If someone spring one of your leg from inside out, you will fall.

I'm thankful his junk ain't hanging out the side of his shorty shorts quite frankly. :D

pazman
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM

Ask a college wrestler if they ever "use" wall sits. :rolleyes:

Scott R. Brown
02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
That is totally Geeee!!!!

IronFist
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I think that site is teaching you how to do the splits, not fight from that stance.

taai gihk yahn
02-25-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm thankful his junk ain't hanging out the side of his shorty shorts quite frankly. :D

actually, it looks like he has a rather hypotonic mangina...

Scott R. Brown
02-25-2010, 01:23 AM
He's too sexy for his shorts.......he's too sexy for his shorts.....and NEVER plays at sports..........

kfson
02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
He has a body like yoga practitioners I've seen.
Also, high top shoes is usually not indicative of a Chinese M.A. practitioner.

SPJ
02-25-2010, 08:18 AM
might as well be a leg split and sitting on the ground or riding on the planet earth--

:rolleyes:

YouKnowWho
02-25-2010, 01:49 PM
You can use your wide horse stance to train certain ability if you just bend your knee inward. It can help you to reduce the angle between your low leg and foot which can give you better "leg bite" ability.

PaiLumDreamer
02-26-2010, 02:11 AM
This is a photo of thomas kurz from his book stretching scientifically. I believe he is doing an isometric stretching exercise

David Jamieson
02-26-2010, 07:13 AM
This is a photo of thomas kurz from his book stretching scientifically. I believe he is doing an isometric stretching exercise

perhaps so, but that is not what the picture is claimed to be showing through that site.

uki
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
maybe he is simply doing it for the stretch and the exercise of the posture. :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
02-28-2010, 10:06 AM
maybe he is simply doing it for the stretch and the exercise of the posture. :rolleyes:

maybe, but it's presented as a "horse stance".

which is not what it is at all.

Mr Punch
03-02-2010, 07:50 AM
As the man said, that's Thomas Kurz, who writes an excellent site (stadion.com I think it is) with over 60 free pages of very well researched sports science mostly on stretching and exercise order. He was an Olympic TKD coach for the East Germans back in the day when they grew superhumans in test tubes. He's also a bit mad, I reckon.

That stance is based loosely on a TKD horse, and he calls it a horse as a point of reference to MAists: of course he's not espousing using it for combat - he's even given it his own name: the five point horse. It's designed to work your flexibility to get you to do the side splits. Read the relevant articles on his site before you start talking bollocks about it: he's one of the best sports training writers out there, very logical (although needless to say I don't agree with everything he says).

Mr Punch
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
maybe, but it's presented as a "horse stance".

which is not what it is at all.If he wants to call it a horse stance because it has a passing resemblance to a horse stance and he uses it as a common point of reference whilst coining his own term... so what? Pedant.

David Jamieson
03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
If he wants to call it a horse stance because it has a passing resemblance to a horse stance and he uses it as a common point of reference whilst coining his own term... so what? Pedant.

well that's some screwy outlook you have there.
We can call it whatever we like now and it's ok?

It's not a horse stance in martial arts. Period. NO pedantry about it. It has been labeled incorrectly.

If you open a can of strawberry jam and it contains marmalade, who cares because it's all fruit preserves isn't it?

nay nay. Not pedantic, merely indicating the photo is labeled and described incorrectly and as horse stances go, that one is wholly incorrect, but as a method of stretching, it applies. Nothing formal about it. A horse is a horse unless it's not a horse.

No obsessiveness with formality at all. Just call something what it is and not something else because that is confusing.

And if that is what you think pedantry is, then, well, I don't know what to say to you. You don't understand the word?

Scott R. Brown
03-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Since we can now make up arbitrary names for whatever we choose, I hereby christen it:

"The Gee Dinosaur Stance"!:eek:

David Jamieson
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Since we can now make up arbitrary names for whatever we choose, I hereby christen it:

"The Gee Dinosaur Stance"!:eek:

I want to call it "primordial frog leap stance- preparation"

also, "how to make your shorty shorts make it appears you have huge labia stance"

I think all three are good seeing as we can call anything whatever we like now.

Thanks mr. Punch, you've made it easy now!
:D

Scott R. Brown
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I want to call it "primordial frog leap stance- preparation"

also, "how to make your shorty shorts make it appears you have huge labia stance"

I think all three are good seeing as we can call anything whatever we like now.

Thanks mr. Punch, you've made it easy now!
:D

For the sake of consistency I am happy to defer to your nomenclature as long as Gee is appended in some manner for example:

"The Gee Primordial Frog Leap Stance- preparation"

or "The Primordial Frog Leap Stance- in preparation for Gee Relations"

etc.

Because is all honesty, it is a TOTALLY Gee stance!

And for the record...it is perfectly fine to me that Gee TKD practitioners participate in the Olympics!!:)

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Flexibility is very important
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/girl_slits_chair.jpg