PDA

View Full Version : Technology and CLF

Drake
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
We've come a LOOONG way with telecommunications, and with that, distance learning isn't "buy my tapes" any longer. Have any of you who have considered DL thought about the benefits of virtual teleconferencing, forums, and things as simple as video chat (ie, show me what I asked you to learn)?

Other interesting technologies are movement sensors, 3D modeling, and virtual reality, but that's a bit out there.

Any techies have any opinions?

B-Rad
03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I did distance learning bagua very briefly. It worked fairly well, though I had to stop since I had work troubles and couldn't afford anymore. Distance learning can only teach so much though on its own, since at some point kungfu becomes a contact sport ;) It's best if you're within a reasonable distance to make multiple trips a year, and also have a training partner working on stuff with you.

hskwarrior
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
while there are some advantages to DL, there are many more disadvantages.

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Any type of learning that doesn't have a personal trainer/coach/teacher, is always far more difficult than the hands-on experience.
It is however possible.
It is far easier if you have some point of reference ( learning Goju karate from DVD when you have a BB in shotokan for example) and far better if you h ave someone to train and test with.

Drake
03-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Any type of learning that doesn't have a personal trainer/coach/teacher, is always far more difficult than the hands-on experience.
It is however possible.
It is far easier if you have some point of reference ( learning Goju karate from DVD when you have a BB in shotokan for example) and far better if you h ave someone to train and test with.

Yup, and I was lucky to have a platform before I started DL. A lot of the foundation remained the same, but the change does take some getting used to.

Who out here has some personal, hands on experience with DL?

David Jamieson
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
for me, video of kuen is only any good to me if I already know the kuen from a teacher. lol

drills and tech combos and such though, I can eat that all day and get it.

probably better than having to learn some set and not even understanding half of it. what a waste of time...just sayin. :)

TenTigers
03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
there is alot you can pick up through DL, if you have a solid foundation in a related art, but you will never get the transmisiion of higher level technique involving sensitivity, and different ging, and trying to "figure it out," will just lead you down a different path.

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
there is alot you can pick up through DL, if you have a solid foundation in a related art, but you will never get the transmisiion of higher level technique involving sensitivity, and different ging, and trying to "figure it out," will just lead you down a different path.

One wonders how the first person,who had NO TEACHER, did it...

David Jamieson
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM

no such thing.

teacher can come in a lot of forms and manifestations.

Zen teaches us that.

The first was rudimentary and with experience and time became better.
The second took what the first had and added.
The third added more.

Myriad things occur.

We are now. Standing on the shoulders of giants so that we may see so far. :)

hskwarrior
03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
right...experience can be a teacher.

Drake
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM

I'm willing to bet the first few generations of MA looked not terribly unlike rabid monkeys fighting over a banana.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Experience is the ONLY teacher.
Sure a good teacher helps us on our way, MAYBE even find our path, but WE do the walking.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm willing to bet the first few generations of MA looked not terribly unlike rabid monkeys fighting over a banana.

Only the northern Kung fu guys.
:D

Drake
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes, but I can't replicate generations of perfecting ways of fighting. The erros have already been made and corrected decades ago... so why should I repeat them if I can be taught the proper way of doing things?