PDA

View Full Version : Small Hong Fist

stoneheart
03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Can anyone tell me the name for the move done at around :50 of the video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfMLyGkmaE

He turns and then does a one legged split. I'm curious what that is called? Also is there a martial application for it, or is it to demonstrate/practice flexibility?

Lucas
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
yep, pu bu, or crouch stance / drop stance.

completely from turning to raising it can bee seen as two seperate movements for teaching purposes, or one, as i learned, brush hands in drop stance, to lion opens mouth. fluidly in one motion

this can be numerous things per usual. and depending on the application the movment of course will alter to fit the required technique.

one favorite application i was taught for that particular section is a throw.

pazman
03-03-2010, 12:59 AM
I can't see the video, being in China and all, but I've trained this form so I think I know what you are talking about.

仆步切掌 (drop and cutting palm) is the name of this move used in basic training, but in this form 扑步掳手 (drop and seizing hand) is used, and usually the palm is facing upwards, rather than downwards like in basic practice.

It's used as a throw. It's difficult to describe...think of a kata guruma from judo except you are dumping the guy the same direction he came from. This only makes sense when you view the 狮子大张口 and 双云顶 after it.

sha0lin1
03-03-2010, 07:17 AM
The move is Lion Opens His Mouth, I have also heard it called scorpion opens its mouth.

stoneheart
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Thank you all for the responses.