PDA

View Full Version : Pak Mei and Mook Jong

wongyim
03-03-2010, 02:25 AM
Hi all,

I heard there were some Pak Mei training including Mook Jong.

As I can understand your reluctance to give much detail here, let me just issue out somes yes/no questions, in order not to go into deeper details:

Does your Pak Mei pratice include wooden dummy training?

If so, do you use a formal form? (instead of less formalised excercices)

And does your Pak mei dummy have a different "arms configuration/positionning" than the Wing Chun one?

Thanks for your time

TAO YIN
03-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Cool topic, never seen much on this topic before. Later I will look for a clip of one of Zhong Luo's guys doing a BM dummy form. I remember watching it on youtube and thinking at the time that it was a really cool dummy form.

I have seen some other dummy forms from schools. I remeber seeing one that was awesome, and I think that dummy form called for the arms to be parallel? I can't remember.

I do know that Wooden dummys are too expensive! :eek: Tree trunks don't cost that much. Neither does labour.

Olaf
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
We don't have it in our line. But it does seem like a great training tool! Also I think i would get a lot of kung fu practice with my neighbours if i would install one in my flat! :D

Yum Cha
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Wooden man training, to me, is simply like working a bag. Its a tool. Try this, try that, see if you can make something work.

Also, its used for hardening the forearms and striking surfaces, and strengthening core muscles. Its a training tool that requires a higher level of mindfullness when using.

There are many kinds, and many placements of the arms/legs. Some on springs, some that slide up and down a wall, some that rotate.

I have not heard of a 'form' per se, but I can see how you could develop exercises that you repeat on the jong regularly.

They are a bit of fun, for sure.

Paperbark trees are the next best thing...

Ao Qin
03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Like Yum Cha said...

Bak Mei and Lung Ying are no different than any other martial arts. Of course we use wooden dummy / telephone poles / concrete slabs, etc. How else do you condition the hammerfist? If you don't want to break the bones in your hand / forearm, you've gotta condition them. But most traditional martial artists also use lineaments / massage, etc. to avoid the pains of old-age ("Remember now the days of thy youth, while the evil days commeth not...).

Same with phoenix eye fist - useless unless you spend countless hours conditioning!

:) kevin

TAO YIN
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Yum Cha,

Honestly, if you say paperbark tree one more time...I will probably cry. :(

Nevermind, I already have...Where is my paperbark tree??? WAAAAANNHHHH!

lungyuil
03-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Tao how are you bro???

Wongyim,
To answer the question, yes we do have a wooden dummy set in our Bak Mei.
It is a complete dummy training form with about if i remember correctly about 200 - 250 moves.

Yes it is a tool and a great one when training it. Perfect for conditioning, timing, exercising the ging and just being able to let loose.

One of my favorite training tools.

Lung

wongyim
03-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Thanks for all your very interesting replies! great stuff here.

I do think the dummy is great tool whatever style you practice, useful for hardening arms as well as praticing striking, keeping the center while bridging...

Interesting to know that some lineages have a defined set, some more like an informal following of moves or exercices, or not at all.

Concerning hardening though, I learned that striking the dummy comes after some preliminary steps, like hitting one's arms whith sticks then applying lineaments, as it has already been said.
I have to say that even without dummy, as Olaf said, this can make your neighbours quite upset!

Lai See
03-04-2010, 06:38 AM
No dummy or dummy form in ours.

Hand to hand is where we are at.

Yum Cha
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Yum Cha,

Honestly, if you say paperbark tree one more time...I will probably cry. :(

Nevermind, I already have...Where is my paperbark tree??? WAAAAANNHHHH!

Perhaps you are thinking of a certain grove of paperbarks, just nest to the lake at Centennial Park?

An unmarked hallowed ground of sorts? :D

TAO YIN
03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
:D

That was a nice place!!! I should say is. I want to visit and see such places again as soon as I can without causing an uproar at work...

I've actually been looking on line for paperbark tree roots for sale. hehe...

Tiger on Duty
03-28-2010, 02:57 AM
no set form but sifu has used various before(not in nz), but its upto the students since those dummy's cost a mint in N.Z.