PDA

View Full Version : Head Butting in Mantis

Three Harmonies
03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
My latest article on Head Butting in the Chinese martial arts is in the new issue of Journal of Asian Martial Arts. For more information please visit The Ground Never Misses! (http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-look-new-site-new-article-same-ole.html)

As always I welcome constructive criticism!

Cheers
JAB

SanHeChuan
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't know what you wrote and can't access your link from here.

But, in the interest of conversation, I'll state my Opinion on the matter.

Head butting, don’t do it. The only time it is a good idea to head butt is when you can do nothing else. It hurts you at least as much as it does them. Even if you’ve spent years conditioning head, you’ve spent years conditioning your head! :eek:

Apparently all the monks at Shaolin who do Iron head have a st-st-stutter, that can’t be good. ;)

goju
03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
ah yes i remember the last 8 step mantis article in kfm talked about the head butting

its supposed to resemble the mantis biting its prey

Three Harmonies
03-04-2010, 03:41 PM
SHQ
Not sure what is wrong on your end, but the link works fine. Check it out and then we will discuss.

Goju
I would be careful what I believe from certain 8 Step groups. All depending on who it was.

Cheers
Jake

mooyingmantis
03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Perhaps SHQ didn't understand that the link only takes you to your blog/website and not the actual article.

I look forward to reading your article. You have had some good articles in the past. :)

My views of headbutting are simple:
1. I Never teach students to headbutt to the face. It's a good way to get an opponent's tooth embedded in your skull. With the diseases readily available today that can be transmitted through body fluids, I wouldn't take that risk.
2. Headbutts to the side of the head (furthest side of cheek bone and temple) can be used effectively in a grappling situation. This is a common practice in TRADITIONAL jujutsu.
3. Headbutts to the chest area (as I have seen demonstrated in form applications) are an excellent way to get caught in a chokehold. And I would definitely avoid them.

Just my two cents,
Richard

SanHeChuan
03-05-2010, 08:19 AM
SHQ
Not sure what is wrong on your end, but the link works fine. Check it out and then we will discuss.
_______
Perhaps SHQ didn't understand that the link only takes you to your blog/website and not the actual article.

The site is blocked by my filter.

Three Harmonies
03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Unblock it bro, best blog on the planet!

SanHeChuan
03-05-2010, 12:26 PM
It's work. :rolleyes:

Webfilter Category: Blogs/Personal Pages :(

Three Harmonies
03-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Well work sucks! Tell it Jake said so!

No worries bro. If you are ever on a free-er computer check out the Ground Never Misses and let me know what you think.

Cheers
Jake

mooyingmantis
03-07-2010, 08:49 AM
I wrote the article you are talking about. Its not that it looks like a mantis biting its prey, but it uses the same idea of flanking and taking out the brainstem. Headbutting is a very important part of 8 step mantis. If you look at Joel Sutton's fights you can see that.

As to certain questionable 8 step groups, they are easy to find, they teach several styles of mantis as well as other unrelated systems and master none of them. Tell the tree by the fruit. Look for the teachers that produce fighters and doctors.

www.kungfuchengdu.com

Dang, wish I wouldn't have missed that article. What issue was it in?

Richard

uki
03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
head-butting is truly an art-form unto it's own...