PDA

View Full Version : Seung ma ~ Toi ma

k gledhill
03-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Here is a good clip of the attacking + following iow attacking entry ...with angling countering response. drills. using 2 arms extended only so each is trained facing along the line in the drills for alignment...

Note that the role playing makes us fight and move to avoid facing the 2 hands...while the attacker is following a moving target, that hasnt just gone back in a straight line....iow we stay with them as they evade us , but not like a bull to cape...

The stages involve 1/2 step entry with tan strike countered by jum strike ..here you see more entry no 1/2 step to check strike impact...stance, structure integrity , etc.... subtle but if you dont know what to see you try to make things up...or simply misinterpret them .

it looks like one is moving back, but if you watch its not backwards its to an angle offline...the stepping in is facing following the attempt to gain a flank...intuitively.

After while you move instinctively to entry and vice versa attack with intent to stay with the retreat ...the guy doing toi ma can also shift left or right suddenly, also making the attacker move 45 as chumkil still shadowing them along a perimeter line as dummy back and forth maintaining the attacking intent, attacking pressure/stress creates mistakes....if you are the attacker... in VT both are able to be attacking at the same time ...each is the attacker .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwaZxsYkEcU&feature=related

YungChun
03-07-2010, 05:08 AM
In our Toi Ma the student is put through a gamut of structure destruction...

The senior uses all variations of energy and tools to break down the structure of the junior, pushing him, pulling him, running his hands, putting him into odd positions, all manner of techniques are used, strikes, chung chi, openings are given, sudden separation, angling changes, leg traps, multiple simultaneous attacks, etc..

The junior's job is to keep putting his structure back together, re-face and adapt even as his structure is constantly disassembled for him with lots of energy and constant changing conditions..

When I first started and I went through this it felt like I was on roller skates for the first time unable to stand properly let alone maintain structure. Fun stuff.. :)

stonecrusher69
03-07-2010, 07:52 AM
its all about flow.if you can flow there is no mistake. your only mistake is not being in the moment.

k gledhill
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
striking acroos the incoming tan is role playing the side one angles off of...as the jumsao counter strikes the tan strike...each controlling elbow lines and angles..iow the guy coming in delivers a tan striking attack using the outside edge of the strike..keeping alignment on the centerline as he faces, turns etc...not taking his arm off line like a block....the same action is a "line of force' side entry for the counter attacker...the left or right side entry arm....teaching you to strike off the side that enters , rather than move into the path of two arms wailing....as it faces to get you centered you move always to gain the advantages of flanking....

iow the left tan enters you counter offside with your right jum strike....you can use either arm for fighting...you are the guy doing tan strike too in the drill as you swap around roles...so you also develop each striking attacking arm ...randomly to make it mindless ...

striking attacking counterstriking attacking everyone attacks with attacks back striking with simultaneous energy.

the balance timing hips structure all gets worked as a unit...

Flanking can be a bridged arm xing your liine requiring no movemnts...just hitting with the edge of the arm cycling that will take the advantage...or simply strike the head.

k gledhill
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
In our Toi Ma the student is put through a gamut of structure destruction...

The senior uses all variations of energy and tools to break down the structure of the junior, pushing him, pulling him, running his hands, putting him into odd positions, all manner of techniques are used, strikes, chung chi, openings are given, sudden separation, angling changes, leg traps, multiple simultaneous attacks, etc..

The junior's job is to keep putting his structure back together, re-face and adapt even as his structure is constantly disassembled for him with lots of energy and constant changing conditions..

When I first started and I went through this it felt like I was on roller skates for the first time unable to stand properly let alone maintain structure. Fun stuff.. :)

same here we start doing this in lok sao..the pushing to make sure they dont push back , just have solid structure , relaxed. remove the instinct to push back or leave the line using wrists or opening elbows....we strike each other to show mistakes in drills, these mistakes become intuitive sensitivity to incorrect drill training along the centerline while striking ....

adding the seung ma toi ma the same way but with the stage before removing mistakes, so its not a complete failure by me just taking a step at them :D

I have met a lot of chi-saoers who dont move off the attack line ..or just stand in a basic stance doing soft retracting hands with no ability to deliver force , only air tags with little reality in their idea. kind of soft hands with no goals in mind ...lots of wristing actions no simultaneous strike training...

k gledhill
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
at 2:47 of this you tube you can see the bong slapping clear a strike line using the facing not turning to follow with striking...in the earlier clips you can see mike street on the receiving end of philipp :D desmond spencer is also in there towards the end doing bong jut sao dills in the blue shirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQBhp-2nQ-E&feature=related

this energy is used in striking too with elbows exploding inwards our outwards as they strike forwards...fast too !