PDA

View Full Version : Attention All MA's

olkat314
04-19-2000, 09:24 AM
Dear All:

As a student of Seven Star Praying Mantis, I am largely unfamiliar with applications in the forms. However, I am interested, and seeing the amount of knowledge out there in the world, I would like to inquire what techniques practioners use to combat different styles of martial arts.

For example: (this is fiction) "I used to spar with a lot of boxers, and found that their strengths were, naturally, trunk rotation (which produces power in their punches) and great mobility. However, that trunk rotation and their mobility contributed to their lack of center and balance. Therefore, perhaps techniques that took advantage of that, like throws, could be implemented easily. However, since they withdraw their hands so quickly, it's hard to grasp them..."

Etcetera, etcetera

These reports could be written from JKD to specific styles of CMA like Eagle Claw! Reports don't have to be long -- just informative, and perhaps we could debate things. I think that slowly, experienced practioners could increase the overall knowledge of other arts and their strengths and weaknesses, and help everyone become a better martial artist.

I welcome any comments.

Thanks for your time.

Tak

Red Masque
04-20-2000, 01:31 AM
Just starting, reading the information people would be giving you may be beyond your comprehension. Why not just stick with it a few years, get a bit more knowledge, then come back & ask the question once more??
Just a thought from someone that did the same thing you are http://www.kungfuonline.com/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

05-05-2000, 12:05 AM
Study harder. Ask your teacher.

Break down the moves of your forms and, picture an imaginary fighter attacking you or vice versa.

This isn't going to give you the "right applications" as they maybe taught, but it will strenghten your understanding of the form and then when you do learn the "true" applications from your teacher, you'll go, " Ah ha, I got that one", or "Ahh, never thought of that", etc...