PDA

View Full Version : This Should Be Interesting

Drake
03-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I was just asked to record myself performing every form learned thus far. It's only six forms, and none of them are terribly challenging, but I was wondering if anyone knows this to be considered the standard? No word if this is a test or simply a check on learning.

sanjuro_ronin
03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I was just asked to record myself performing every form learned thus far. It's only six forms, and none of them are terribly challenging, but I was wondering if anyone knows this to be considered the standard? No word if this is a test or simply a check on learning.

No matter what, this is a good idea.
Seeing ourselves do a form helps as see our weak spots and it's also good to see and look back, months or years later, to the development we HOPEFULLY had.

Drake
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
No matter what, this is a good idea.
Seeing ourselves do a form helps as see our weak spots and it's also good to see and look back, months or years later, to the development we HOPEFULLY had.

I've passed for the individual forms. Now he wants them all together in one single sequence.

sanjuro_ronin
03-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I've passed for the individual forms. Now he wants them all together in one single sequence.

Are they a single form?
I know some southern systems that are like that.
They are taught as separate forms or "roads" then they are joined into one form.

CLFNole
03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Given the manner in which you are learning it probably isn't a bad thing. It allows him to see if you work on all six forms or put more emphasis on the most recent ones.

Drake
03-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Given the manner in which you are learning it probably isn't a bad thing. It allows him to see if you work on all six forms or put more emphasis on the most recent ones.

He said that was actually a problem for a lot of people who test, and not just DL.

sanjuro_ronin
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, we are all guilty of prioritizing the new forms over the older ones.
The new ones are newer, they are more advanced and we "know" the old ones.
It's symptomatic of systems with forms, especially ones with lots of forms.

CLFNole
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
He said that was actually a problem for a lot of people who test, and not just DL.

This is definately the case. I been involved in testing at our school where after you test the stuff for the required level we will pick random old forms and people have trouble. Depending on how you train 90% (could be higher) of the people that come to a school only practice when they are there, which is fine if all you care about is general exercise and socializing but if you want to learn a style to pass on later you need to practice everything. This is why I agress with my sifu when he says CLF has too many forms, which can be said for a number of styles.

Drake
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I think it's a good thing. Actually, revisiting the old has been refreshing for me, and I have a new perspective on it.

CLFNole
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Get in the habit of practicing everything and sooner or later you will realize the old is the new. The understanding of what you learn is endless.

Shaolindynasty
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Get in the habit of practicing everything and sooner or later you will realize the old is the new. The understanding on what you learn is endless.

Yes, your understanding of the material changes depending on your current perspective and experince level.

Jimbo
03-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I find that when someone performs a fairly basic (or early) set very, very well, with meticulous attention to detail and a high level of understanding of its principles, it's far more impressive than someone performing a more "advanced" set without such understanding. There are lots of rich variations within the apparent simplicity (which doesn't necessarily equate to being easy to "master").

iron_silk
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I find that when someone performs a fairly basic (or early) set very, very well, with meticulous attention to detail and a high level of understanding of its principles, it's far more impressive than someone performing a more "advanced" set without such understanding. There are lots of rich variations within the apparent simplicity (which doesn't necessarily equate to being easy to "master").

I love this post!

Because I can't agree more with that statement.

When I was younger I didn't understand until my Sifu explained it to me and now I can see it for myself.

Yum Cha
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I was trained you didn't move onto the new stuff in training until you had gone through all the old stuff first.

Then, after a bunch of years, I switched and started at the top, and came down to the bottom. Found the advanced stuff was a little different when you weren't shagged out, and likewise, the beginner stuff was a little different when you were.

David Jamieson
03-11-2010, 02:41 PM
ok, the bad part will be when you are asked to record them all again, but this time without pants.

then you will know it is time to kill the buddha. :p

Drake
03-15-2010, 11:34 AM
ok, the bad part will be when you are asked to record them all again, but this time without pants.

then you will know it is time to kill the buddha. :p

But he said everyone does it without pants!

iron_silk
03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey Drake,

So how did the video review of all your forms go?

any chance you want to share a bit of the vid with the rest of us?

Drake
03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey Drake,

So how did the video review of all your forms go?

any chance you want to share a bit of the vid with the rest of us?

I've been sick :(

I think a guy at work got it, gave it to me, I gave it to my wife, who gave it back to me, and I've been spending the last week or so hacking up my lungs and congested. I should have gone on sick call, but we had so much going on at work that I felt I needed to be there. Which, coincidentally, is going against everything I tell my soldiers.

I'll have something up by Friday. Promise.

iron_silk
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been sick :(

I think a guy at work got it, gave it to me, I gave it to my wife, who gave it back to me, and I've been spending the last week or so hacking up my lungs and congested. I should have gone on sick call, but we had so much going on at work that I felt I needed to be there. Which, coincidentally, is going against everything I tell my soldiers.

I'll have something up by Friday. Promise.

Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon!

I can't wait to check out the vid.

Assuming you haven't gotten your whole plattoon (is that the right term?) sick and they all rised up against you.

Drake
03-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon!

I can't wait to check out the vid.

Assuming you haven't gotten your whole plattoon (is that the right term?) sick and they all rised up against you.

I'm still investigating the source of the illness. One of my PFCs mentioned a sinus infection, then my OIC got so sick he couldn't even hear for a day, and then I get hit.

I'm not a PL, though. I have my shop of five guys and an NCOIC. I work on battalion staff. Don't tell HW108 that, though... he still thinks I'm a secret agent for the Illuminati out to discredit him. :D

Dragonzbane76
03-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Don't tell HW108 that, though... he still thinks I'm a secret agent for the Illuminati out to discredit him.

he thinks the world is out to get him, so your not that special. :)

Know Hope
03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I was just asked to record myself performing every form learned thus far. It's only six forms, and none of them are terribly challenging, but I was wondering if anyone knows this to be considered the standard? No word if this is a test or simply a check on learning.Learn less, practice more.