PDA

View Full Version : Any of you seen this site?!

SAAMAG
03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.internaldamagetaichi.com/

What do you all think of it? I like the fact that he's bringing back the martial reputation to Tai Chi.

Lucas
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
its always nice to see people advancing the martial applicability of taiji.

i mean taiji is just freaking brutal....

Three Harmonies
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Bringing what back? Taiji has always been a MARTIAL art!

I have one of his DVD's. For the most part solid stuff. A few off the wall applications I would not do, but overall one of the better Taiji application DVD's on the market!

Cheers
Jake

kfson
03-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh, I like this guy.

What is the "Sacred Yang"?

sanjuro_ronin
03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Taiji is one of the most effective means of combat out there, its inherent principles make it very efficient as well.
Whether Taiji is predominatly a grappling or striking art is irrelevant, it is tailored to individual preferences.
The issue is that, by taking the moves from the form and applying them, we MAY not be choosing the bets course of action, bets to take the principles and let th emoves "came out" on their own.

Dale Dugas
03-12-2010, 08:35 AM
principles and concepts when understood will always trump a rote technique learned as a response to a situation.

sanjuro_ronin
03-12-2010, 08:42 AM
principles and concepts when understood will always trump a rote technique learned as a response to a situation.

Indeed, even when/if a technique becomes obsolete with the changing of the times, its core principles, if valid, will allow for the evolution of the technique to a more effective one.

Dale Dugas
03-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I like to explain to my students that it is not A+B=C but that A+B=X a variable where you can add all manner of things depending on what you respond with and how the situations can and will change.

If you are training correctly then your concepts should be thoroughly inculcated into your nervous system. If not, then you really should rethink the manner in which you train.

Skip J.
03-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I like to explain to my students that it is not A+B=C but that A+B=X a variable where you can add all manner of things depending on what you respond with and how the situations can and will change.

If you are training correctly then your concepts should be thoroughly inculcated into your nervous system. If not, then you really should rethink the manner in which you train.
Thanks Dale; a very clear description!

I hope you don't mind if I copy that for my students???????

Hmmmm... concepts... what I need is a blackboard (whiteboard) I guess..

neverfold
03-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Looks like a good DVD. It looks like he's using Yang. Does anyone know if his DVD goes into any Chen system applications as well?

Dale Dugas
03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Skip,

Please feel free to use that with your students.

just say it came from a Big Bald Baguazhang teacher who likes wearing Kilts and drinking ginseng laced single malt......

SAAMAG
03-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks Dale; a very clear description!

I hope you don't mind if I copy that for my students???????

Hmmmm... concepts... what I need is a blackboard (whiteboard) I guess..

That was very nice indeed. I'm going to steal it too and take it back to the WC forums so that Terence can try and chew it up. :D

Skip J.
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Skip,

Please feel free to use that with your students.

just say it came from a Big Bald Baguazhang teacher who likes wearing Kilts and drinking ginseng laced single malt......
Hey Dale;

Don't take this wrong, but some of my little old Texas ladies would be scandalized if I said it came from someone who lived north of Oklahoma City....

MartialDev
03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Based on watching the trailer, some of his apps seem good, but his punches are straight-up goofy!

SAAMAG
03-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Bringing what back? Taiji has always been a MARTIAL art!

I have one of his DVD's. For the most part solid stuff. A few off the wall applications I would not do, but overall one of the better Taiji application DVD's on the market!

Cheers
Jake

You and I know that, but the masses that practice it as a means of physical therapy for geriatric patients do not. In fact the majority of the tai chi out there is simply a form set used for "mediation" and "good health". Very infrequently will you find someone who practices the art in its entirety.

TenTigers
03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
nothing new. he's doing applications that anyone with knowledge of basic technique can do(figure out) , simply by taking the moves in the form, and extrapolating on them.
But..is it Tai-Ch'i?
Some of the moves, such as single whip are, although somewhat workable, are IMHO, not actually the way it was intended to be applied, as far as my brief experience.. Doing the plam strike with your hook hand simply floating in the air? Why is it a hook hand? Don't you think that maybe..it's...um, hooking something?
Would you drop BOTH your hands down to block a knee strike at a range that leaves your head open?
Do you think that any martial art that is "highly evolved" would have such "No-No's" as it's application?
While I think it's great what he's doing-showing that Tai-Chi is first and foremost a Martial Art, and I have no doubt that he can fight with it, which in itself is impressive, you need to ask yourself a question: Is what he is doing what Tai-Chi was intended for? It seems to go against everything I was taught.

bawang
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
if u want to see if a tai chi guy is the real deal see his fighting stance. sadly most will use a stance from movies.

TenTigers
03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
watch deflect parry and punch-he completely ignores the first part of that technique..deflect. Does anyone else see the "bong-sau?" Or the parry to the blind side, or the chin-na application? or the trapping? or, or...? well? Is he using Tai-Chi principles? Not in my experience, and I have only learned a smatterring of Tai-Chi.

bawang
03-13-2010, 08:42 PM
taijiquan techniques are defensive versions of very common northern longfist moves. lots of aggresive forward attacks are modified to defensive counter atack stepping backwards or to the side, combined with a taoist martial art that had no forms

in northern battle language soft means blocking and evading. its a codeword. tai chi is not literally soft.

TenTigers
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
ain't nuthin' soft about gettin hit!

TenTigers
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
ah..after watching it again, I had to edit my first post...

bawang
03-14-2010, 07:58 PM
im glad a few ppl are trying to make taijiquan work, but almost nobody teaches basic fighting stance and footwork

taai gihk yahn
03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Some of the moves, such as single whip are, although somewhat workable, are IMHO, not actually the way it was intended to be applied, as far as my brief experience.. Doing the plam strike with your hook hand simply floating in the air? Why is it a hook hand? Don't you think that maybe..it's...um, hooking something?
the "single whip" is pretty straight forward: for example, you redirect a right punch w/the right & roll into a hook, then knife edge strike w/the left; if that strike is blocked by the opponent's left outer arm, you move into "strum lute", which grabs the wrist of the blocking arm, pulls it down and attacks the upturned elbow; there is also a leg hook / attack component; this can then be used to uproot the opponent if he doesn't counter the attack to the elbow, or if he does resolve it, you move into a closer range w/"shoulder stroke" to set up a body throw with "white crane flashes wings"; there are, of course, other variations, but that's one of the more obvious ones;
what makes it "taiji" is the "ging" behind the movements and that you are working into a standing grappling range with the ultimate goal of dumping the guy; at least that's my perspective
I actually have a video of me doing this and other movements in a self-defense "demo" which I will upload and post a link to when I have a moment

Lucas
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
:D

http://eric88ling.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ps-19wm.gif

TenTigers
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
hmmm... do you think that "pay the piper," came from some Tai-Chi guy's broken English? "Pay da Pipa!"

Lucas
03-15-2010, 03:58 PM
hahaha :eek: