PDA

View Full Version : So what works for you?

MightyB
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
If you had to boil down the essence style to what works, what would that be?

I'd say my TCMA style 7*...

for me- it's short power, direct and indirect attacks, and the "intercepting hand", but I have to keep it simple for it to work for me. So quick, close-range, hard hitting techniques (with a "fire for effect" mentality). In essence, I concentrate on hitting a person hard in the throat or balls (using as efficient a means possible - quick combos, or simple direct attacks). I'm lousy in striking sports with 7*

...but I can accept that since my Martial Sports are Judo and Jiu Jitsu - both of which I'm pretty good at (be better if I practiced more).

sanjuro_ronin
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Hitting people works for me.
Using my grappling to counter so I can hit people, works for me.
Choking people out works too as does hitting them with a stick.
:D

brothernumber9
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
hooked on phonics works for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uicJnCB9sc

Shaolin
03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Not getting into fights works for me.

MightyB
03-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I forgot this was a martial arts forum... :rolleyes:

Should stick to exposing the Catholisism Conspiracy stuff - you know, what this forum is actually about.

Lee Chiang Po
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Square off fighting is not always going to go your way. Reach, strength, speed, all goes into the fight, and the one with the most is going to usually win if both are depending on such. Skill at manipulation of extremeties and joints will be able to over come these attributes if one commits to using them. I have black belts in jujitsu, and I find that I can use it effectively and quite easily against people that are far stronger with longer reach than myself. I also do Wing Chun, and can hit hard, but like any other fighting style, it is only as effective as your ability to get in and use it.
When fighting someone that has a good fighting skill and is aware of your intentions, you are most at risk, and your fighting style then becomes hard taxed. My reach is not great, and most men will stand 6 to 8 inches taller then I. In a situation like that it hardly matters what fighting system or style I use, I am still going to be at a distinct disadvantage. For this reason I will usually elect not to stand and trade punches with him, but rather use an entry that will get me in and under him so that I can get hold of his arms or get him off his feet. If you can get under him and throw him hard into the ground or into some structure you can stun him enough that you can then control him. Or you might even acquire a grip or hold on him utilizing a joint of the arm, or better yet the wrist or hand. I can throw a man, or almost make him throw himself, with a simple wrist joint lock or hold, using just one of my own hands. But doing jujitsu you would know that move. These have worked for me, but then I don't know any other MA systems or styles

bawang
03-12-2010, 07:56 PM
i like the conditioning excercises in chinese martial arts. they are unique and cool

Frost
03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
the clinch works for me, either hitting people in it or using it to hit them with the ground :D

straight punches work well for me, especially my jab, i am naturally left handed and my jab is very powerful, oh and i am good on th ground, better from the top than the bottom (hence i have good takedowns from th clinch, its stops me being on the bottom!) And i love elbows and knees:D

Drake
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
i like the conditioning excercises in chinese martial arts. they are unique and cool

Actually, as far as conditioning exercises go, I think the Japanese arts have this one clinched. Followed by traditional Korean TKD, because those homies is madness.

This IS strictly opinion, though.

YouKnowWho
03-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Me too!

http://johnswang.com/double_stone_lock.wmv

Yum Cha
03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Bob Marley, long dark drink, short blond chick.

MightyB
03-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Me too!

http://johnswang.com/double_stone_lock.wmv

SC is bad a$$... love it- So when are you moving to Michigan Master Wang?

Found these, I will have to incorporate them too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_4iVXaugo

xcakid
03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Nothing beats martial arts mixed with good ole gun play. I had an old sifu tell me, a good martial artist always carries a gun. That is modern equivalent of the old 4 primary weapons.

So I train in CMA and take handgun courses at least 2X a year and maybe shoot a competition or two.

Drake
03-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Nothing beats martial arts mixed with good ole gun play. I had an old sifu tell me, a good martial artist always carries a gun. That is modern equivalent of the old 4 primary weapons.

So I train in CMA and take handgun courses at least 2X a year and maybe shoot a competition or two.

I just go to the range. Weapon qual is nice, but I found that simply going out and shooting is even better, because there's no pressure, and you can experiment with different positions and cheek to stock applications (does breaking cheek to stock REALLY change your sight picture, or is that urban legend?).

sanjuro_ronin
03-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Actually, as far as conditioning exercises go, I think the Japanese arts have this one clinched. Followed by traditional Korean TKD, because those homies is madness.

I challenge that view !!!
:p

xcakid
03-18-2010, 07:13 AM
(does breaking cheek to stock REALLY change your sight picture, or is that urban legend?).

Actually, I have had conflicting info on that.

I have taken tactical carbine courses from an outfit where the instructors were forme SEAL's and Recon (verifiable credentials) and they emphasized more on anchoring the buttstock to the shoulder rather than having proper cheek weld. There is a class here in TX run by SWAT officers and they emphasize proper cheek weld and buttstock anchoring.

So I have come to the conclusion that it really depends on how fast the targets are coming at your. In the military, you are both offensive and defensive. Your weapon is either low or at the ready. As SWAT when you go into a structure, weapons are always at the ready.

In a number of 2 gun competitions I have been in, I notice when I transition from pistol to carbine, the first few shots as I am moving, I do not have proper cheek weld. But as I move through a few more targets its there. However, I do not notice that much of a change in my accuracy. Now the disclaimer: I don't use iron sight, but rather a red dot sight. ;) So I would tend to have a faster target acquisition and not really worry about the traditional rear to front to target sight picture.

sanjuro_ronin
03-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Guns, bah !
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sexy-hot-motivational-posters-3-8.jpg

TaichiMantis
03-18-2010, 09:02 AM
SJR's answer to everything...:rolleyes:;)

SanHeChuan
03-18-2010, 09:09 AM
What I like from 7* mantis is tying up either arm long enough to step to the weakened side to attack. I can’t always keep them tied up for long and standing in front of them gives them a better chance and defending, but I can grab or cross their one arm long enough to step to the angle and attack. There is more I’d like to be able to do follow up wise, but that much at least consistently works for me.

Lucas
03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Avatar be bustin out old school!

David Jamieson
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Come visit my gwoon one day. :p

the Japanese arts have NOTHING by comparison when it comes to ways and means of conditioning sil lum way. :)

not braggin, just sayin.

Okinawan arts of Japan get props, particularly the matsubayashi ryu guys who are as you describe. but let's face it, it's goju and shorin both of which owe their origins to you know who! (Not you John, lol)

sanjuro_ronin
03-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Come visit my gwoon one day. :p

the Japanese arts have NOTHING by comparison when it comes to ways and means of conditioning sil lum way. :)

not braggin, just sayin.

Okinawan arts of Japan get props, particularly the matsubayashi ryu guys who are as you describe. but let's face it, it's goju and shorin both of which owe their origins to you know who! (Not you John, lol)

Indeed and can we ever forget the Uechi-ryu guys?
Thing is, that is all the external "beginner" stuff, the TCMA goes far beyond that AND doesn't disfigure you !
LOL
Of course many of the Okinawan guys are now, for sometime, focusing on the internal conditoning methods now.

Dale Dugas
03-19-2010, 06:21 AM
yeah everyone forgets the Uechi Ryu people whose systems looks like Chow Gar or Jook Lum/Bak Mei.

They are known as Kichigai Karate in Okinawan, meaning the insane Karate people.

I owe my iron body skills to the material I learned as a young man learning this great system.

No offense to Shorin or Goju Ryu Ha Karate, but Uechi takes the cake.

goju
03-19-2010, 04:51 PM
i dont think either have an advantage conditioning wise and its a bit silly to debate over which one is tougher or has more

it depends on the school and teacher:D

goju
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM

and what are these conditioning routines?

Lucas
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM

http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/2d/htf_imgcache_8868.jpeg

David Jamieson
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM

I don't do iron goodies like master Tu. lol

goju
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
lolid just stick to wearing a cup or learning to block crotch attacks

we pretty much condition most of the body in goju

granted we dont have things like iron palm but eh... i can knock some one out easily as it is what more do i need? lol

Lucas
03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
i can knock some one out easily as it is what more do i need? lol

To be able to crush your adversaries eternal soul with the devistating iron palm of the Buddha!

goju
03-19-2010, 05:57 PM
To be able to crush your adversaries eternal soul with the devistating iron palm of the Buddha!

thats true you never know when my country may get invaded by bricks either lol:D

Lucas
03-19-2010, 06:14 PM
thats true you never know when my country may get invaded by bricks either lol:d

dont mock the soul crushing!