PDA

View Full Version : The Uppercut bag..

dimethylsea
03-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Recently I had a "catch-up" conversation with my Muay Thai buddy John.

He has been living in Brooklyn/NYC and doing alot of work with the boxing community there.

He had loads of good things to say about this type of heavy bag,,
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/titleboxing_2093_82463368

I have seen and used this a bit at the MMA clubs, but according to John the boxing clubs in NYC tend to use these on two chains put right up against the wall. This minimizes the space needed (an issue in NYC) and also means you don't need someone to either hold the bag or waste time waiting for the bag to stop swinging.

We talked a good bit about it and one can train most hand and elbow techs he does (for sport striking) and I used them in the MMA gym for my palm strikes.

John told me when he opens his next gym he will be going with 2 thai bags (for leg kicks), two wrecking balls, and all the rest of the bags will be the wall-mounted uppercut bags of this type.

I'm thinking I'll definitely be grabbing one or two of these myself.

Y'all use 'em? Love 'em? Hate 'em? What say you.

Dragonzbane76
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
they really aren't for overhand strikes

hence the name upper cut bag.

IronFist
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
When you said uppercut bag, I was thinking of this:

http://www.themmazone.net/images/Angle-Uppercut-Bag.jpg

What's the difference?

Also, what is a "wrecking ball?" This?

http://www.protecboxing.com/acatalog/VYNL-WRECKBALL-sml.gif

How much does it weigh and what is it used for?

goju
03-12-2010, 11:11 PM
yep thats wrecking ball its used for uppercuts and hooks

im not too fond of it

not sure abot the weight maybe arounf fity pounds?

dimethylsea
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM

What's the difference?

The wrecking ball is awesome for practicing elbows, knees, etc. (i.e. after all your other workout, grab onto it and throw 100 knees before you collapse and crawl to the shower).

I've also seen it used by Thai boxers for practicing head kicks.

SAAMAG
03-13-2010, 01:01 AM
They're all good apparatuses, and the useability is only limited by your ingenuity in using them. Though you really don't "need" all those different types of bags. One good heavy bag, and some forearm pads/thai pads, focus mitts and a reliable partner are all that are needed really.

Too many people get caught up in the merchandising of martial arts...gotta have all this different gear and etc. You can do 100's of knees on a banana bag too (which I prefer because it teaches you to penetrate with your knees instead of just rising up and hitting with your thigh), hooks, shovel hooks, kicks, and etc. I even practice uppercuts, I swing the bag and hit it just as it comes down from its apex.

But it would be nice to have 1 uppercut bag, 1 wrecking ball, and 1 heavy bag. It's just not necessary persay.

uki
03-13-2010, 01:39 AM
waste time waiting for the bag to stop swinging.no wasted time here... swinging bags are good for training mobility and tenacity while striking - a well placed elbow, forearm, or knee strike/block will stop the swing.

They're all good apparatuses, and the useability is only limited by your ingenuity in using them.my thoughts exactly...

i am getting two more heavy bags - i would like to have three triangulated at a distance where they won't all touch bottoms when they get swinging.

dimethylsea
03-13-2010, 06:22 PM
BOB

My only complaint with uppercut bags is that they really aren't for overhand strikes. This can dislodge them from the hook above. I think they are great for perfecting one type of upward power generation, but not so good for combos.

www.kungfuchengdu.com

I think if you have them secured on two chains (not one as indicated in the pic) and placed with one side against a wall it takes care of the overhand strike issues.

I did piquan-style palms and hammerfists on the swinging type all the time with no problems.

Definitely getting a couple of these once I move to the next place. Put them on the wall and it doesn't take up precious mat/floor space to nearly the same degree, especially if they aren't being actively used during a given part of class.

dimethylsea
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
They're all good apparatuses, and the useability is only limited by your ingenuity in using them. Though you really don't "need" all those different types of bags. One good heavy bag, and some forearm pads/thai pads, focus mitts and a reliable partner are all that are needed really.

Too many people get caught up in the merchandising of martial arts...gotta have all this different gear and etc. You can do 100's of knees on a banana bag too (which I prefer because it teaches you to penetrate with your knees instead of just rising up and hitting with your thigh), hooks, shovel hooks, kicks, and etc. I even practice uppercuts, I swing the bag and hit it just as it comes down from its apex.

But it would be nice to have 1 uppercut bag, 1 wrecking ball, and 1 heavy bag. It's just not necessary persay.

What a person needs/wants for their personal training and what a school/class owner wants is a bit different I think. Next location I'm planning on a Thai long bag, a wrecking ball, and a couple of these upper-cuts (which will be hung on double chains on the wall, adjustable for height).

The last "commercial" style location was in a place that for commercial reasons didn't want heavy bags around.

Me I got a real kick out of working the Thai long/bananna bag for kicks. Bai bu/kou bu kick etc.

I miss having bags around to work (though I have a very nice mat set up and good decorations right now). Might even get a Silent Warrior WC/stick dummies also.

Is it necessary to have the toys? Nah. But it's fun to have cool gear to play with.

One other thing to consider.. alot of times students are not good enough to "hold pad" for other students.. and they may not have time for two hour classes.. which means you need to work them out HARD for their limited time on the mat. If you have gear that doesn't require a partner or "spare student" resting and holding the bag/pad for them.. it can be more efficient.

Dragonzbane76
03-14-2010, 06:09 AM
no wasted time here... swinging bags are good for training mobility and tenacity while striking - a well placed elbow, forearm, or knee strike/block will stop the swing.

Also great for getting distancing of striking down and hitting a moving target. Lots of little drills you can do on heavy bags. Counter drilling, burnout drills, combination drills, etc.

sanjuro_ronin
03-15-2010, 07:02 AM

What's the difference?

Both are better then the "uppercut" bag in my opinion.

David Jamieson
03-15-2010, 07:38 AM
In my opinion, people put too much meaning into mere devices.

One really doesn't need to spend a lot to have equipment that is suitable towards the practice they are doing.

seriously, lots of downright junk can be used as effectively as anything else.

having said that, you can take any heavy bag, hang it horizontal and voila!
lol

or you can use pads or..etc etc.

I think the only qualifier that a piece of equipment needs is that it is priced properly and is durable for the work that will be done with it.

all else is pretty much moot.