PDA

View Full Version : uki brings iron ball juggling to the mma

uki
03-15-2010, 04:25 AM
i just wanted to announce to the boards that i effectively took my first introductory mma class on sunday with chambers mma out of stroudsburg. there were only 4 of us due to weather, a job call, and the clock change... went over some basic bjj mounts, trap and rolls. no bad vibes... i told them i been training all by my lonesome for 12 years and decided that this year of the tiger was a good year to come and see if my **** stinks - i talk my fair share of **** on the internet. i am curious to see how long i last. anyhow, out of true martial arts fashion and humility, i have announced this. i have not sparred in my 8 years of masonry, nor 2 years of iron bars, two years of iron ball juggling... those bulgarian bags are pretty cool. i look forward to not getting my first black eye since being beat out of the discotek in bistrita, romania some odd many number of years ago.

meow

:D

uki
03-15-2010, 04:29 AM
oh and my iron ball juggling demonstration was more than enough to drop a few jaws. :p

Dragonzbane76
03-15-2010, 05:14 AM
the question should be did you learn anything?

Frost
03-15-2010, 05:15 AM
the question should be did you learn anything?

actually the question should be are they allowing him back to class after he has ripped off all those tendons and gouged all those eyes out :D

David Jamieson
03-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Not to mention all the faces he must've ripped off! :D

MasterKiller
03-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Good for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

kfson
03-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Good for you, uki. Good luck!

sanjuro_ronin
03-15-2010, 07:35 AM
those bulgarian bags are pretty cool.

Do you mean the throwing dummies?

David Jamieson
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Do you mean the throwing dummies?

actually they are heavy bags with handles essentially that you twist and lift and wrap around yourself and use in a manner like you would be...well wrestling with someone.

They are really good for rooting and core development as well as functional strength in context to grappling.

sanjuro_ronin
03-15-2010, 08:13 AM
actually they are heavy bags with handles essentially that you twist and lift and wrap around yourself and use in a manner like you would be...well wrestling with someone.

They are really good for rooting and core development as well as functional strength in context to grappling.

Ah cool, I have one of the throwing dummies ( arms, legs and head), its great to do drills with, a workout on its own.

Dale Dugas
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Go brother U go!

let us know how it goes.

sanjuro_ronin
03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Here is some motivation !
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CVdIGeYAQR8/SKgtvzFJYxI/AAAAAAAABZw/JizdJBBW6BY/s400/beard+fhm1.jpg

Pork Chop
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
good luck with that man
hope you do well

uki
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
the question should be did you learn anything?it's all about the osmosis baby. :)

actually the question should be are they allowing him back to class after he has ripped off all those tendons and gouged all those eyes out

Not to mention all the faces he must've ripped off!this is a choice on my part to adapt to rules and morals aka sport fighting. it would be detrimental and foolish to maim people on my first introductory day... speaking of which i was told to take off my shirt so that they could watch and see which muscles were doing what as i juggled. :p

the bulgarian bag they have there is like 40lbs... LOL... i was kinda tossing it around like a rag doll with an image of a bulgarian hunter carrying a freshly killed deer and having a great idea on making a toy. they have theirs filled with deer corn, i am gonna make one and fill it with sand of steel shot... they made this one out of a tire tube for like a catepillar or something - great for striking aswell. you can carry it across your shoulders while kicking the heavy bag, running, or whatever else you want... i think that was the highlight of the morning - my boss is hooking up an old catepillar tire and a tire tube for me... gonna be sweet yo!! *makes dumb gang sign*

thanks for the well wishings and i will keep ya'll posted...

uki
03-16-2010, 03:55 AM
oh and thanks for the motivation sanjuro - i'll do my best to think of her the next time i have a ball cup up my ass. :eek:

MasterKiller
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Next stop?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/goose_mfp/gay_pride_2005_Fedor_Nog.jpg

taai gihk yahn
03-16-2010, 07:39 AM
respect is due to anyone who leaves their comfort zone in order to test their mettle; now, if Uki is willing to try his hand at MMA, the question is, who will now incorporate juggling into their practice?

David Jamieson
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
respect is due to anyone who leaves their comfort zone in order to test their mettle; now, if Uki is willing to try his hand at MMA, the question is, who will now incorporate juggling into their practice?

not me!

but i'm just an ass that way. :D

hey i already adopted the mma training methods I could use to replace the tma stuff that was ....not as worthwhile.

so juggling is out for now.

sanjuro_ronin
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I already juggle.
I juggle:
A wife
Two girls
A business
MA training
Finishing my Engineering degree
Staving off being converted by Jehovah's Witnesses
Not destroying the universe with my awesome Avatar powers !!!
http://www.foroswebgratis.com/imagenes_foros/9/1/3/2/2/610021Avatar%20Aang.jpg

uki
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
soooo... did some light sparring - got busted in the nose and cracked with a right hook to the jaw. also went over the americana(spelling?)/keyhold. i think i am hooked on this stuff... not mma, just the whole being around other guys who like to do martial arts. :D

Frost
03-22-2010, 03:27 AM
soooo... did some light sparring - got busted in the nose and cracked with a right hook to the jaw. also went over the americana(spelling?)/keyhold. i think i am hooked on this stuff... not mma, just the whole being around other guys who like to do martial arts. :D

how did the sparring go..did you manage to use much of your training standing or on the ground?

Do you think all your solo training has helped you or do you wish you had been with guys like this sooner?

uki
03-22-2010, 04:01 AM
how did the sparring go..did you manage to use much of your training standing or on the ground?i was completely restricted to sparring with boxing gloves on and wrapped hands... no headbutts, no elbows, and no legs - it was strictly standup up boxing, so i was at a major disadvantage, yet i found the thrill in adapting to a restriction in order to capitalize on my weaknesses. it went well... i got a nose jab on him that sent him back to the corner and a left uppercut to his chin... i never boxed before so i was abit outta my security bubble... all in all it was an enjoyable experience. if we would have went pound for pound at this level of restriction, i would have been annihilated, but like it has been said, what fun would it be if i woulda headbutted him the numerous opportunities that had arisen. :D

Do you think all your solo training has helped you or do you wish you had been with guys like this sooner?my solo training has definitely been well-worth it... i go there like a lump of clay, i am not imposing my methods, i am simply adapting to theirs... i think if i had joined up with these guys any earlier in my life that it would not have been very nutritional... i personally believe that i had to unconsciously develop my own style for 12 years in order to be humble enough to go and choose to learn the inflection of other methods of fighting, aka the rules... not being able to use certain strikes during different situations is alot of mental work for someone like me that has been training to utilize every area of the body as a striking method... my goal is to become comfortable in the enviroment and slowly evolve back into a hybrid style that i can use in this enviroment... sounds corny, but i must say that i am glad i joined, it has pushed my curiosity - i am especially impressed with the depth of bbj... it's like push hands but with the whole body while being on the ground... i have yet to do free ground work, so i cannot say how well my ground game is at this point from my own personal training. :)

Frost
03-22-2010, 04:28 AM
i was completely restricted to sparring with boxing gloves on and wrapped hands... no headbutts, no elbows, and no legs - it was strictly standup up boxing, so i was at a major disadvantage, yet i found the thrill in adapting to a restriction in order to capitalize on my weaknesses. it went well... i got a nose jab on him that sent him back to the corner and a left uppercut to his chin... i never boxed before so i was abit outta my security bubble... all in all it was an enjoyable experience. if we would have went pound for pound at this level of restriction, i would have been annihilated, but like it has been said, what fun would it be if i woulda headbutted him the numerous opportunities that had arisen. :D
my solo training has definitely been well-worth it... i go there like a lump of clay, i am not imposing my methods, i am simply adapting to theirs... i think if i had joined up with these guys any earlier in my life that it would not have been very nutritional... i personally believe that i had to unconsciously develop my own style for 12 years in order to be humble enough to go and choose to learn the inflection of other methods of fighting, aka the rules... not being able to use certain strikes during different situations is alot of mental work for someone like me that has been training to utilize every area of the body as a striking method... my goal is to become comfortable in the enviroment and slowly evolve back into a hybrid style that i can use in this enviroment... sounds corny, but i must say that i am glad i joined, it has pushed my curiosity - i am especially impressed with the depth of bbj... it's like push hands but with the whole body while being on the ground... i have yet to do free ground work, so i cannot say how well my ground game is at this point from my own personal training. :)

most MMA guys hate restricted stand up work...ie just boxing (its why coaches make us do it) headbutts do change things a bit, but a good wrestler/grappler always has dominate head position so it makes it hard to pull off, but these days no organisation allows butting so guys do leave themselves open a bit for it.

Yep BJJ is amazingly complicated and yet simple, and nearly everyone that trys it from a CMA background calls it full body push hands, have you don't any standing grappling yet?

Dragonzbane76
03-22-2010, 04:42 AM
done any grappling as of yet uki?

SPJ
03-22-2010, 08:07 AM
I already juggle.
I juggle:
A wife
Two girls
A business
MA training
Finishing my Engineering degree
Staving off being converted by Jehovah's Witnesses
Not destroying the universe with my awesome Avatar powers !!!
http://www.foroswebgratis.com/imagenes_foros/9/1/3/2/2/610021Avatar%20Aang.jpg

going to watch the movie

when it hits the big screen.

:)

uki
03-22-2010, 08:19 AM
nope... no grappling with these guys yet... i am hesitant to say my ground game should be fairly good, but i am more than certain my standing grappling technique will be quite a competition to these guys, for a variety of reasons. :D

David Jamieson
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
nope... no grappling with these guys yet... i am hesitant to say my ground game should be fairly good, but i am more than certain my standing grappling technique will be quite a competition to these guys, for a variety of reasons. :D

continue to be the lump of clay.

it really does pay.
:D

Frost
03-23-2010, 04:27 AM

why should your grappling game be good..who have you trained with then, especially on the ground to form this opinion?

Dragonzbane76
03-23-2010, 06:48 AM
I have to agree with frost on this one. Until you've went up against a skilled BJJ or grappler then you should hold off on your opinion of skill level in grappling. Not trying to diswade you uki, i'm happy your trying something new, just saying wait to form that opinion after you've rolled with some skilled people on the ground. :p

Frost
03-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I have to agree with frost on this one. Until you've went up against a skilled BJJ or grappler then you should hold off on your opinion of skill level in grappling. Not trying to diswade you uki, i'm happy your trying something new, just saying wait to form that opinion after you've rolled with some skilled people on the ground. :p

yep I thought my standing grappling was good, I had done sticking hands and pushing hands for years, even competed in sticking hands at a national competition, then I tried standing grappling with my now coach who I outweigh by about 90 pounds, I got foot swept so high I got a nose bleed on the way down and that was the start of the embarrassment. I won't even go into the humiliation I received on the ground (this was after a few months of working ground with some kung fu buddies of mine)

kfson
03-23-2010, 07:55 AM
I saw a Chinese kung fu movie a long time ago where the young, uninitiated star of the movie was talking to a large man pounding dough with his fists to make bread. A fight broke out and the dough pounder pounded the croop out of the bad guys using his dough pounding technique.
The young star said, "Hey, that's good kung fu, what style is that?" The dough pounder said, "That's no kung fu style, I pound dough all day." (or something similar to that)

taai gihk yahn
03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I saw a Chinese kung fu movie a long time ago where the young, uninitiated star of the movie was talking to a large man pounding dough with his fists to make bread. A fight broke out and the dough pounder pounded the croop out of the bad guys using his dough pounding technique.
The young star said, "Hey, that's good kung fu, what style is that?" The dough pounder said, "That's no kung fu style, I pound dough all day." (or something similar to that)

the only problem with such a contrivance is that the dough does not try to get out of the way and does not try to pound you back...

kfson
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
the only problem with such a contrivance is that the dough does not try to get out of the way and does not try to pound you back...

OK then, just sit in your room and watch the dust fly. But don't make your dust watching too contrived.

Taryn P.
03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
i am especially impressed with the depth of bbj... it's like push hands but with the whole body while being on the ground...

Welcome to the awesomeness that is BJJ! It's quite a change of scenery for those of us who are accustomed to standup and a lot fewer restrictions. But it expands your toolbox so much... and besides which, it's great fun.

goju
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
^with the exception of the guys who dont bathe or wash their gis sweating on you during practice:p:eek:

Taryn P.
03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
You can't smell anything very clearly while you're being throttled.

goju
03-23-2010, 04:37 PM
i must have had some partners with some serious funk because i sure as heck could lol:D

goju
03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
most MMA guys hate restricted stand up work...ie just boxing (its why coaches make us do it)

ah they did that with you too my **** gym focused on it too much never let us work in the clinch or knee either

uki
03-24-2010, 03:32 AM
You can't smell anything very clearly while you're being throttled.fell free to join the class... i would rather practice my mounting on you, rather than sitting on a ball cup. :p

uki
03-24-2010, 03:45 AM
why should your grappling game be good..who have you trained with then, especially on the ground to form this opinion?i used to live with some jujistu guys... we would do a hybrid of push hands to ground to submit, i have a relatively good root... my standing grappling i believe would be enhanced even more so by the strength of my wrists, forearms, shoulders, and whatnot thru my iron ball juggling - i would venture to say i am quite apt at trapping/pretzeling with my arms and my lower body strength being derived from my hiking, pushing wheelbarrows of mud/concrete, and masonry work... in this light i am making an educated guess based on my own personal experience. i will definitely post my encounter with this as it happens to see which of us will prove to be more right in our assumptions of the situations based on our relative angle of perception... i am pretty aware of what i can and cannot do with my body, unlike you, who does not know me personally. :)

taai gihk yahn
03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
i used to live with some jujistu guys... we would do a hybrid of push hands to ground to submit, i have a relatively good root... my standing grappling i believe would be enhanced even more so by the strength of my wrists, forearms, shoulders, and whatnot thru my iron ball juggling - i would venture to say i am quite apt at trapping/pretzeling with my arms and my lower body strength being derived from my hiking, pushing wheelbarrows of mud/concrete, and masonry work... in this light i am making an educated guess based on my own personal experience. i will definitely post my encounter with this as it happens to see which of us will prove to be more right in our assumptions of the situations based on our relative angle of perception... i am pretty aware of what i can and cannot do with my body, unlike you, who does not know me personally. :)

Christ, Uki, if ur going to respond reasonably and appropriately contextualize ur statements, what the f*}#s the use of having u around here then?!?

MasterKiller
03-24-2010, 06:23 AM
The big question is, when does he change his screenname to McUki?

Frost
03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
i used to live with some jujistu guys... we would do a hybrid of push hands to ground to submit, i have a relatively good root... my standing grappling i believe would be enhanced even more so by the strength of my wrists, forearms, shoulders, and whatnot thru my iron ball juggling - i would venture to say i am quite apt at trapping/pretzeling with my arms and my lower body strength being derived from my hiking, pushing wheelbarrows of mud/concrete, and masonry work... in this light i am making an educated guess based on my own personal experience. i will definitely post my encounter with this as it happens to see which of us will prove to be more right in our assumptions of the situations based on our relative angle of perception... i am pretty aware of what i can and cannot do with my body, unlike you, who does not know me personally. :)

a well thought out intelligent respose i'm in shock! your new training regime is really elping your online fu!

Lucas
03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
The big question is, when does he change his screenname to McUki?

:eek::eek::eek:

Frost
03-24-2010, 10:12 AM
ah they did that with you too my **** gym focused on it too much never let us work in the clinch or knee either

its normally a few rounds of boxing, then we add in thai and clinch and then finish with full MMA...its like come on lads take the bad medicine before i let you have fun and play on the ground:D

MasterKiller
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
How is it uki waited so long?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8iWAyUOG4

SoCo KungFu
04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
How is it uki waited so long?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8iWAyUOG4

That dude on the top, was not really threatening at all. He had so many opportunities to pass to side or take mount, totally didn't do much at all. And he kept posting his arms out on the ground. He was just asking to be kimura'd. That dude on the bottom with the weird tattoos, he really needs to work his ground game. I mean, he was active with strikes and all even off his back, but his guard was just way too lazy and anybody with half a clue would have destroyed him. And he missed so many opportunities to sweep or take a sub. Props to them for getting in the cage though

Frost
04-06-2010, 01:56 AM
That dude on the top, was not really threatening at all. He had so many opportunities to pass to side or take mount, totally didn't do much at all. And he kept posting his arms out on the ground. He was just asking to be kimura'd. That dude on the bottom with the weird tattoos, he really needs to work his ground game. I mean, he was active with strikes and all even off his back, but his guard was just way too lazy and anybody with half a clue would have destroyed him. And he missed so many opportunities to sweep or take a sub. Props to them for getting in the cage though

i disagree i thought the guy on the bottom controlled the top guys head quite well and used him back legs to control the distance and not allow the guy on top to posture too much :)

taai gihk yahn
04-06-2010, 04:26 AM

i disagree i thought the guy on the bottom controlled the top guys head quite well and used him back legs to control the distance and not allow the guy on top to posture too much :)

I think that if either of them tried that stuff for real on the street, they'd get their butt's seriously kicked - I mean, neither of them were able to use any deadly technique's like biting, clawing, eye-gouging, throat strikes, etc. because those aren't allowed in the rules!

Scott R. Brown
04-06-2010, 04:51 AM

This reminds me of the Judo brownbelt I grappled with some 15 years ago.

I went back to my old school and my buddies set me up with this guy because they wanted to laugh at me! No one in the school could choke this guy out, even when he let them get "set" in a choke hold first! He out weighed my by 60-80lbs too.

After I choked him out 4 times his instructor's son, irate by this time and also a brown belt, came on to the floor to give me my comeuppance. He was not too happy when I choked him out 4 times too!! :D

However, to make it at least a little more fair for me they let us start on our knees. I am sure I would have had a much harder time if we had had to start standing up! With the first guy, not the second. the second guy was even smaller than me! How he thought he could choke me out after I choke out his MONSTER of a friend repeatedly is beyond me!

LOL.......It was a real hoot!!!!! :D

Scott R. Brown
04-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I think that if either of them tried that stuff for real on the street, they'd get their butt's seriously kicked - I mean, neither of them were able to use any deadly technique's like biting, clawing, eye-gouging, throat strikes, etc. because those aren't allowed in the rules!

Or a gun or a knife!

No one ever seems to show any vids of some guy getting knifed while he is exectuing an arm bar or americana.

When he comes in for the take down, just pull out your knife and drive it into his spine! Then you can execute your americana or arm bar at your leisure!:D

This is how REAL bad guys fight!

uki
04-06-2010, 04:59 AM
This is how REAL bad guys fight!the real good guys don't even need to fight. :)

Scott R. Brown
04-06-2010, 05:05 AM
the real good guys don't even need to fight. :)

Good guys are pansies....they have no kung fu or attainment.

Only bad guys are cool!:cool: