PDA

View Full Version : When in doubt ask the Kung Fu people. . .

CEOWDF
03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Okay I've never posted here before because I've never practiced kung fu before, but I find myself in wierd situation and figure that I should seek advice from people who know kung fu.
Okay so I am moving to China for 18 months to live with my Uncle (I'm moving in June) who rents out a boarding house for students at a local Martial Arts school. Ipso Facto I am moving to live at a Chinese Martial Arts school.
I've always been involved in martial arts of some kind or other Tang Soo Do, ShorinRyu Karate, Brazilian Ju Jitsu but I've never been a serious student. This school trains almost 8 hours a day (I've been doing allot of conditioning work to get prepared)
So here's my problem, the school offers a variety of styles of kung fu and apparently once you pick a style you are to stick with it for at least 12 months before you can change to another one. I don't know the different styles of Kung Fu at all and while I can find descriptions of them and watch form demonstrations on youtube all I want I really don't know anything about the chinese martial arts, and I need to decide on a style before I start training because apparently that decides which shifu you train under from day 1.
Also Tai Chi and Qigong are mandatory no matter what style you train in. Basically what I want to know is what would be the "best" style to train in while I am there. I understand that this is subjective, but I think that this will be somewhat limited by the fact that I will only be there for 18 months so maybe just which one would be the most benificial in such a short time?
Anyway the offered styles are:
Bagua Palm
Xingyi Fist
Shaolin Boxing (which is apparently broken up into lots of different forms that have some similar fundamentals)
Joint Locks (Qi Na? Grab Hold? Is this wrestling?) Apparently with this one you learn shaoling boxing with an emphasis on using Qi Na or Joint locks
Sanda
Chinese Throwing (another one where you also study shaolin boxing in conjunction with throwing techniques)
Xingyi hand (my chinese isn't that good its xingyiquan)
Link Arms. . .I have no idea what this is to be honest I can't find any information on it.
Baji Fist
Wudang Fist (apparently has allot of different forms and styles within it but there is only one wudang sifu at the school so they just call it Wudang)
DaCheng Boxing
GongLi Boxing
Apparently with all of them you learn a bit from other complementary styles as the shifu sees fit, but you do focus on one thing primarily.
Anyway I'm really just looking for advice. Right now I'm doing conditioning with heavy cardio and moderate stretching, but I would really like some advice on how to prepare as well.
(oh they also offer "Modern Wushu" but from what I understand this is martial arts styled gymnastics and really not my thing)

Any advice would be appreciated thank you Kung Fu people. :D

b5200
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I currently study eagle claw and I can tell you that chin na locking is very fun.

CEOWDF
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think they specifically teach eagle claw. Apparently after a year of shoalin boxing some students start specifically studying northern mantis, or maybe some other animal styles but eagle claw wasn't mentioned.
Anyway I will only have about 18 months so I'll probably do best to stick with one system anyway.

Thanks for the response :)

CEOWDF
03-15-2010, 08:29 PM
This feels like I'm trying to pick a college major from a list written in foreign language. Its frustrating in a fun kinda way. I've always enjoyed this type of thing and I'm sure I'll get something from whatever I pick. . .I just wish I wasn't picking blind.

jdhowland
03-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Personally, I'd go with the throwing arts. You can apply them to your taiji principles and they can compliment any other system you choose to maintain.

b5200
03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Chin na (aka Qinna) is part just of our system. The chin na techniques there may or may not be the ones in eagle claw, but it probably is the same if the number of different locking techniques is 108.

IronWeasel
03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Throwing x2

David43515
03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
You might want to look at what styles are available where you live now so that you could continue to practice once you return home if you like. San Da is good for learning basics very quickly. Like others have said, the Shuai Jiao (I`m guessing that`s what the throwing is) and the joint locking would both mesh well with the Tai Chi and could compliment other styles you are already familiar with. The Shaolin boxing might be a good choice because alot of the styles taught in the US are shaolin sub-styles, so you could keep it up when you come back.

I`d stay away from Baji, Xingi Quan and Ba Gua. (I can`t believe I just typed that, I`d kill to train any of those in China.) They`re probably too complex to learn anything more than the basics in 18 monthes

PlumDragon
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry I have to say something here: it's your money so train whatever "system" seems cool; without reaction training, you won't be able to pull Most of it off under stress anyway. So with that in mind, if you aren't able to learn more than "basics" in 18 months training up to 8 hours a day, you are getting ripped off, go somewhere else.

There's a guy here in town who spent 5 years with a master before this master finally started spilling his Tai Chi secrets. One big secret: Bending the knees at certain times...seriously, common. When you "get" something you move on to the next thing whole revisiting for refinement, always evolving at what rate YOU get it at. People who wait years to give youstuff beyond basics probably don't have anything real to give, unless you learn *very* slow...

CEOWDF
03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Yes the chinese throwing is Shuai Jiao and shaolin boxing (specifically Lou Han I think among other things) taught together. Sanda to me looks like a modified kickboxing which I've done (I could be totally off here) and I would prefer something different TBH

David: Thanks for warning me away from those styles. I don't know anything about it so I'll trust your word that I would need more time to get good at it.

PlumDragon: The school's format has the school training each style separately for about 5 hours a day under a specific shifu. The whole school is brought together once in the morning for an hour of tai chi once in the afternoon for an hour of Qigong and once in the evening for a hour of sparring. From what I understand how well their students do in sparring is a point of pride for the instuctors and the school's headmaster fosters this competitive spirit. From what I do know about martial arts in general this seems like a solid system to me. Though it does seem to risk overtraining I mean WTF 8 hours a day? I don't know why you don't think there would be reaction training at this school. If it helps the students learn then I'm sure it does.

Also I'm getting a big discount on account of my uncle owning the buildings where they all sleep. I wouldn't have anywhere near the money to attend otherwise. :p

CEOWDF
03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh and I'm going to UGA in Athens, GA when I get back to the states. I don't know of any Chinese Martial Arts schools there so I'll probably go back to ShorinRyu Karate. Its offered free on campus.

PlumDragon
03-15-2010, 10:31 PM
The school's format has the school training each style separately for about 5 hours a day under a specific shifu. The whole school is brought together once in the morning for an hour of tai chi once in the afternoon for an hour of Qigong and once in the evening for a hour of sparring. From what I understand how well their students do in sparring is a point of pride for the instuctors and the school's headmaster fosters this competitive spirit. From what I do know about martial arts in general this seems like a solid system to me. Though it does seem to risk overtraining I mean WTF 8 hours a day? I don't know why you don't think there would be reaction training at this school. If it helps the students learn then I'm sure it does.:p

ok the format is fine. My point was that 18 months at up to 8 hrs a day is a HUGE amount of time. With that much time you should become quite good at what youre training, regardless of focus...if you're not you're being duped badly. Within a few weeks you should be able tohandle 6+hrs IMO.

On the reaction training, this is different from "sparring" and I've never seen a Chinese system sufficiently cover reaction training in the way I'm referring to--too busy with forms and and line drills and 2-person choreography, qigong and such, always without Sufficient stress to overload the student. Sparring is a start, and it's all youll get. So, if you're there to learn to fight, sparring is about all you should be doing.

CEOWDF
03-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Hah I'm not to worried about being duped. My uncle has been practicing martial arts since he could walk. He would be able to tell if the school was a pile of bunk and he wouldn't lie to me about it. Thanks for the concern though.
I would ask him for advice on which style to pick but he would just laugh at me and start speaking chinese to fast for me to understand. :rolleyes:

BTW my chinese is bad, I can barely read pinyan much less traditional writing so this will be a great opportunity to get good at the language at least ;)

doug maverick
03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
^ did you read his post? i dont think he is paying for anything. and he is just going to train...and if you train a 18 8 hours a day your learning more then basics.most people learn more in less time.

PlumDragon
03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
^ did you read his post? i dont think he is paying for anythingyes as a matter of fact I read it more than once while making my replies. If you'll go back you'll read that he is fact paying but getting a much better deal.

Coincidentally, I didn't type what I did because of him but rather the view as noted by
David earlier in the thread...

CEOWDF
03-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Ya I'm paying a bit. Not much compared to the Chinese Students going there, and way less than the other foreighners, but enough that after the 18 months are up I'll be a broke college kid with no car.

bawang
03-16-2010, 06:05 AM
then save ur money and dont go
dont chase a mirage

Northwind
03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Sounds like you'll have a great time. You'll be able to continue your taiji up in Athens - we have two Chen style taiji guys teaching up there (http://www.pathsatlanta.org/). If the style of Taijiquan you learn over there isn't Chen, our guys could probably point you in the right direction.

Also keep in mind that Athens is not far from Atlanta, where there's Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Lost Track, many different Taiji styles, Baguazhang, Xingyiquan, southern preying mantis, choy lay fut, and others.

With the kind of training schedule you'll be in, I imagine you'll acquire a large amount of whatever system/style you choose, and become fairly good at it. And you can practice/refine it etc. when you get back as well...So I would say to do a little internet research on the various styles, and see which ones you "like" and would be interested in doing.

CEOWDF
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Bawang: I don't get the negativity. Or what you mean by mirage. If you think that I have some unreasonable expectations from what I'll get from this trip then I can assure you I understand that I won't learn how to shoot fireballs out of my [explicative deleted]. In any case going is not a choice thing. I can go and sit around all day watching the martial arts school and maybe working in the kitchen, or I can go and study at the martial arts school. I know which one I prefer.

Northwind: Hey thanks allot for the reference. Until you mentioned it I didn't even know there WERE different styles of tai chi so I don't know what they teach at this school but now I certainly hope its chen style so I'll have a place to continue learning when I get back :)
I don't think I'll be able to make the constant trip back and forth from Atlanta to the school though to continue anything else. Gas is expensive and I'll be going to school full time, plus I doubt I'll have a reliable car. Oh and yea posting on this forum is just part of my "internet research" on the different styles so I can make an informed decision. I mean I have until mid June to figure it out, so besides working out this is all I can do to prepare.

Northwind
03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey CEO,

All sounds good. Yup, in regards to taijiquan, Chen would be ideal, as it's kinda like the grandfather to the other styles of tai chi out there. If you later wanted to learn another style, the learning curve would be fairly shallow.

No worries about the gas - believe me I can understand. I went to UGA & lived up there awhile, and then when I moved back home to Atlanta, I was teaching two classes per week in Athens and one in Atlanta - that was tiring - to me, my car, and my wallet! :P

If you have any other questions about stuff in Athens, etc., feel free to get in touch.

bawang
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Bawang: I don't get the negativity. Or what you mean by mirage. If you think that I have some unreasonable expectations from what I'll get from this trip then I can assure you I understand that I won't learn how to shoot fireballs out of my [explicative deleted]. In any case going is not a choice thing. I can go and sit around all day watching the martial arts school and maybe working in the kitchen, or I can go and study at the martial arts school. I know which one I prefer.

ok mang coo. i just meant if u r a poor student why not save ur monies. if u have no choice then go and have a great tiem
i think u shud try baji because i think baji is BADASS. also chinese wrestling is super cool.

taai gihk yahn
03-16-2010, 07:00 PM
i think u shud try baji because i think baji is BADASS. also chinese wrestling is super cool.

lol, I was going to say the same thing - if u have a chance to study good baji or good tong bei, those would be worthwhile endeavors, IMPE; or the wrestling, because it's immediately functional

YouKnowWho
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
the chinese throwing is Shuai Jiao.
It's the SC training method that will help you to look at other CMA styles from a different angle. SC is a formless art. You first learn the application, you then learn how to enhance it by using the solo drill and equipment training (not the form first and application later approach). IMO, you will still be able to enhance your CMA skill when you are 80 years old. You won't be able to start to develop your combat experience at that age.

If you can apply this kind of logic (develop combat skill first, enhance it later) in your striking art, you will never have problems such as:

- What's the application for this move in my form? (You may have question such as what's the solo drill for this application instead?)
- My foundation is not solid enough for me to fight in the ring. (Your foundation will be stronger in the future.)
- I'm not fighting with my style flavor. (You will fight with your style favor if you train long enough.)

mickey
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Greetings,

CEOWDF:

You may want to ACTUALLY LOOK at what is being offered and make your decision then.

Have you considered teaching English while you are there? It will help offset your expenses. You may even command more cash than others since you are bilingual. You should really look into that. The "learning/exchange vibe" may be enhanced because you have something that is desired.

mickey

SPJ
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
I thought that this is an ask ninja thread.

as pointed out

at first you see what they offer

and you look into what you need or want---

style is less of an issue

we all have to start somewhere and move on from there--

some would get a feel or some basic understanding of several styles

some would just work on the basics and build a good foundation of a single style

in the end, it is your money and time

you make the best of it for yourself

---

David Jamieson
03-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Just get to the island and win the contest.
Make a few pals, and bang Han's daughter.
Try not to get killed on the way out.
Good on ya. Cheers!

Scott R. Brown
03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Just get to the island and win the contest.
Make a few pals, and bang Han's daughter.
Try not to get killed on the way out.
Good on ya. Cheers!

You forgot to warn him about the cobra and the pool of acid!

........oh yeah and the big, ugly, muscly guy who yells, DAH!!!!

Scott R. Brown
03-18-2010, 04:59 PM
If you have to fight the big, ugly muscly guy I recommend biting him on the leg, I understand that works pretty well!:eek: