PDA

View Full Version : Message for IronFist

cerebus
03-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey there! Your inbox is full, so I couldn't send you a pm.

Createspace seems to be pretty good. Decent quality, you can choose to have it listed on Amazon, you set your own price and get a decent percentage. Overall, I'd say go for it. The only trouble is having to publicize all one's own books, which would be done by the publisher if you find an established publisher for your books (but they take a huge percentage)...

cerebus
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Ttt.......

IronFist
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
The only trouble is having to publicize all one's own books, which would be done by the publisher if you find an established publisher for your books (but they take a huge percentage)...

I'm not sure I understand what "having to publicize all one's own books" means?

Also, are there any contracts you sign saying you can't sell them independently on your own website anymore?

Can you get your book in actual bookstores?

cerebus
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure I understand what "having to publicize all one's own books" means?

Also, are there any contracts you sign saying you can't sell them independently on your own website anymore?

Can you get your book in actual bookstores?

Well, just because a book is printed doesn't mean anyone knows about it. Publicizing a book means making people aware of the book. This can involve getting it into bookstores, putting ads for it in magazines and other media, etc. If an established publisher prints your book, they will do all that, if you self-publish then it's up to you to do all that.

If you self-publish a book, all the self-publishing companies I have seen allow you to do whatever you like with it. You aren't selling the copyright to it as would be the case with a regular publisher, you're just having the self-publishing company print it for you for a percentage of every copy sold.

Getting one's book in bookstores depends on how it's published. A regular publisher is one of the best ways for the book to be widely available in chain stores, whereas if you self-publish, then you often have to bring it around to smaller stores yourself because large chains have certain sources they have to use and it's not easy (might not even be possible) to get a self-published book listed on those sources.