PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan

olkat314
05-01-2000, 08:33 AM
Does anybody know any reputable Praying Mantis (doesn't matter the style) masters in Taiwan?

Thanks

Tak

05-04-2000, 09:27 PM
There are alot of good Mantis Teachers in Taiwan.

Here are a couple that I know of:

Adam Hsu (Currently in Taipei http://home.earthlink.net/~kungfuhome/adamhsu/

Wong-Jie (Taipei, In Piece Park; Saturdays 10:30 or 11:00 theres a group that practices Mantis) I hear that Wong-Jie (not sure about spelling) is incredible.

Hua Lin Laoshi
06-06-2002, 01:17 PM
Well, I just had to open this thread in the hope that the Pong Lai group will tell us all about their recent trip to Taiwan. How was the training? What all did you guys do?

Was it secret and you can't tell us? :D

Seriously, how many went and what was the training like?

woliveri
06-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Come on Hua Lin, You know it's Mimi who has all the secret forms.
<rib> <rib> Ha ha ha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Btw, good to see you back.

NorthernMantis
06-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Now now Woli don't start toruble..yet;) :D

NorthernMantis
06-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Oh and by the way you have offended me and shao lin:D

woliveri
06-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Sorry, NM, I couldn't resist. HL put it out there and it was just too tasty to pass up.

NorthernMantis
06-06-2002, 07:04 PM
lol it's cool:cool:

Tainan Mantis
06-06-2002, 08:47 PM
There were 2 shows where the tv stations were invited to film and report.
Many students from the states also filmed those shows.
Some forms filmed were what you might consider too valuable to be filmed. Such as some uncommon or special 2 man sets.

White ape steals the peach(several forms of the same name) is about as long as beng bu.
Some Taiwan students performed the solo and partner version. It is so clear that you could learn from the video.
In the past such filming wouldn't have been allowed so I guess there has been an attitude change about secrets.

yu shan
06-06-2002, 10:43 PM
I questioned the filming of the forms also, but not my call.

Anyone thinking of a training trip to MLChina? Cancel! Go to Taiwan, trust me!

Hua Lin Laoshi
06-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Any chance some of that video could be obtained by an interested outsider? ;)

woliveri
If they're so secret how do you know about them??? :D :D :D

woliveri
06-07-2002, 03:49 PM
I don't know what the big deal is with filming forms. It seems to me that the only school that would be hurt by someone filming their forms would be a school that only taught forms and nothing else. For me there's a heck of a lot more to training kung fu than learning forms. While I will say I always enjoyed forms a great deal, I've also found just as much enjoyment (especially with more experience in KF) with basics. H_ell, I could be happy for a long time with just basics. Now, any form thief worth their weight with any experience in KF doesn't need to film anything. They should be able to remember from memory by watching a demonstration. I know people that have done that without a problem. Especially with WL. If they can't and want the form just go join the school. You can just watch the senior student practice and piece by piece go home and write down what you remember. There are ways to do it. Heck, I have TF's complete 5 animal form on film and I'm certian there are loads of others who do and I have never seen another school or anyone for that matter mention it, practice it, or compete with it.

One of the main things I found of value in training with a Teacher is picking up the "essense" of that teacher's movement and articulation of techniques. There is a whole different flavor of training with MC than Tu or others. Not to take away from the others but it's different. Like painting with Monet or one of his students (if he had any). You just get a different flavor of style.

HL, I know from my meditation. I have out of body experiences so I pop over the MC's house, out back past the secret guards, behind the orange trees and watch the secret form training... Got some cash, I'll teach them to you.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe Mantis
06-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Taiwan rocked. Master Shr's student's demonstrated a proficiency in praying mantis. I'm not just talking about the advanced students either. It seemed that all the way down the ranks everybody was solid.
As for Shr himself, you gotta see him for yourself.
Just a note:
I asked him about an application for a specific technique and he pulls out 4 right in front of me.

I was suprised by what was taped as well. Different from here where people are concerned with protecting their forms.
I can understand filming solo sets as those don't reveal the applications like the 2 person.

Hua Lin:
The interested outsider should probably ask Tainan, or Pong Lai and see what they say. They are in constant communique with Master Shr and could give you the best answer.

Tainan Mantis
06-07-2002, 03:53 PM
That video isn't available as it contains many kung fu brothers and several teachers. Some of those people might not be happy if a video of them was floating around.

There is a video available that I have filmed and edited. It contains an Eagle Claw form which is similar to the 7* style of PM.
The single and solo versions are taught as well as the partner drills for the form and for 7* PM.
This includes kicking, punching and takedown drills.

Joe Mantis
06-07-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks Tainan,
That clears up Hua Lin's question.

By the way, Tainan's tape is awesome. A must have for any kung fu practioner.
Not that I'm writing an editorial but I want to say what a great job Tainan did on it.

yu shan
06-07-2002, 05:30 PM
There were many impressive offerings on this trip to Taiwan. Numero Uno to me, of course! Shr Zhengzhong! What an amazing man! A true Master of his Art of Mantis Boxing, and more than willing to share & teach at anytime! You could be in a restaurant, 1:00 am and he is ALL about Kung Fu. He was always at our level, not once seemed to be on a throne.

My KF Uncle`s and brothers/sisters were Gracious beyond anything I`ve experienced in my life. The people of Taiwan were incredible, we were treated like true friends.

I was told while there, people visit Tainan to eat, among other reasons. The best food I have ever tasted.

This all being said, a total quality trip. The Country of Taiwan is a must trip for any MA person.

flem
06-08-2002, 07:46 PM
yu shan,

since you are so dedicated, and love taiwan so much, are you planning to move there? learn from the horse's mouth?

Joe Mantis
06-10-2002, 10:43 AM
hear hear,

yu shan was right: the food was incredible. Pong Lai really hooked us up with the right restaurants.

Definately, Shr would talk all night about praying mantis
I really appreciated his attitude, I didn't feel that he was unapproachable. A nice change from the american style.

Anyway,
Yu shan, drop me a line.

Hua Lin Laoshi
06-10-2002, 01:21 PM
woliveri
I'm transferring qi-dollars to you as I type. Please schedule the information to download tonight while I sleep as I'll be rearranging my knowledge all day to make room for more 'secret forms'. :D :D :D

yu shan
Did you learn any new material? Seminars? Or just general training/visiting?

yu shan
06-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Flem

Nope, got a family. But will be making the trek back as soon as I can.

Pong Lai
07-03-2002, 07:23 AM
It has been a while since I have posted. Trying to catch up today.

Anyhow, hope all is well and everyone takes a break on the 4th and enjoys the festivities!

HuaLin, as Tainan, I wouldn't really feel comfortable handing out tapes to non students. Not a matter of being a secret or not, but it is not fair to the students who pay to travel, learn, and are dedicated and hard working. Hope that can be understood and respected.

However, better than a video demo, you got the live, real thing one and a half hour drive away. For those whom are just listening in, I am not asking you to be a PL student. You seem to be curious and interested in what else is going on in the CMA world. Drive down with Joe Mantis one Friday evening/Saturday.

As Flem put it, you would get more from this horses mouth, than just showing up in Taiwan on your own! Flem, I am still waiting for you to take me up on the invite to visit our school and chat over tea. I am not going to hang you up and use you as a bag.
Anytime, give me a call 813-872-6113

Always, Everyone are welcome!

Pong Lai

PS: Just a heads up, We will be conducting a seminar in Nashville at Shrfu Smyer (YuShan) school in the fall. Will list the event on an upcoming post. Thanks.

NorthernMantis
07-03-2002, 07:45 AM
Hey Yu Shan

I'm not sure if you got my e-mail but thanks ofr ht e gift. I recived it last week. It's a little big on me but it definitely fit's my younger kung fu brother just fine. It's just in the nick of time since there's a tournament aroudn the corner.

Lisa
07-03-2002, 08:30 AM
Not sure if this was already answered in this thread, but where in Taiwan were you? I lived there for about 4 months last year in a town called Toufen (near Hsinchu). I was teaching English, not studying kung fu:(.

Hua Lin Laoshi
07-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Pong Lai
I understand and respect the decision. I just figured if the show was taped for TV and onlookers were able to tape it then it was fit for public disclosure. If I knew how to contact the TV station I could possibly get a copy from them. No big deal, just thought it would be interesting to see.

Pong Lai
07-03-2002, 02:16 PM
Actually, TainanMantis might have jumped the gun.
The only thing on the news was clips of forms, Body Pounding, Testacle retracting Gung, and interviews of Tainan Mantis, Shr Cheng Chong, and myself. The Tape of the exhib. at City Hall was only recorded by ourselves. Get together with Joe Mantis in Orlando and I am sure he would be glad to look at it with you.

Take care

yu shan
07-05-2002, 10:10 PM
What about beetle-nut girls?