PDA

View Full Version : Rattan Rings

olkat314
05-11-2000, 01:06 AM
Can someone tell me what they're used for (in Praying Mantis and in other styles), where I can get them, and how large they're supposed to be (diameter)?

Thanks

Tak

Tak

Red Masque
05-11-2000, 05:41 PM
I have never heard of nor seen them used in mantis training by anyone.
-RM

05-15-2000, 05:28 PM
Agreed, Red Masque. I have never heard of anyone using them with mantis training. Wing Chun people use them, but the way in which they use them would not be fruitful for mantis people.

MantisGuy2
05-15-2000, 06:39 PM
My sifu uses them... and he is a Mantis practitioner. Says it trains you to better be able to stay inside your opponent, to let you hit him with out being hit.

-- MG

Red Masque
05-15-2000, 06:51 PM
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what lineage is he?? I need to start looking at the differences in styles.
-RM

MantisGuy2
05-16-2000, 08:59 PM
He teachesWah Lum Tam Tui and studied under Chan Poi.

-- MG

Red Masque
05-16-2000, 11:05 PM
Hmmm. So Wah Lum uses the rattan rings. This supprises me somewhat just from observing their forms. Staying inside from low stances.
I could never do that, too much of me would get in the way /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the insite.
-RM

chatsingtonglong
05-17-2000, 06:55 AM
I replied to this before but it never came up on the board!

Look at Lee Kam Wing's book (the one he authored) on page 155 and there is the rattan ring. He uses it for forearm strengthening and conditioning. We have them in our school too

I wouldn't suggest using it in that way unless your forearms are already pretty good as it take a lot of strength and power to make it "stick" otherwise the ring slips toward your elbows and if you do use the right strength it needs conditioning

Finally We also use it at times to illustrate the flows and circles in the hand movements - this is however an instruction thing not a traing item. We also use it a simulated head for lion dance practice. I t is a useful tool to have around the school but not 100% ncessary I would think - We use it very sparingly

cheers

Matt