PDA

View Full Version : The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

GeneChing
03-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I signed a release for our cover to appear in this film. I hope that it made the final cut.

Film: I trained in martial arts 5 times a week (http://www.birminghammail.net/what-is-on-in-birmingham/best-of-birmingham/2010/03/19/film-i-trained-in-martial-arts-5-times-a-week-97319-26068673/)
Mar 19 2010 By Graham Young
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

THE Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is making waves in cinemas.

Although it only opened on 114 screens nationwide, it had the fourth highest average gross per screen in the UK last week behind Alice In Wonderland (533 screens) Shutter Island (416) and Green Zone (419).

After opening at Cineworld Broad Street in Birmingham last week, it is expanding into Dudley Showcase from today.

The film is a thriller steeped in intrigue and mystery, and conspiracy theories also surround the death of Swedish journalist Stieg Larsson.

He died in 2004 leaving three unpublished novels, which became the best-selling Millennium Trilogy.

Noomi Rapace stars in the film adaptation of the first book as Lisbeth Salander, a punky loner with a criminal past and a brilliant mind, who makes a living hacking computers.

Directed by Niels Arden Oplev and co-starring Michael Nyqvist as investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist, the action-packed drama sees a twist of fate bring Mikael and Lisbeth together in this dark and shady tale.

Noomi was initially deemed unsuitable for the role, so here she reveals what made her so determined to play The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and what she went through to become her.

Were you a fan of Stieg Larsson’s books?

“Yes, I actually read the books before I even knew they were going to do a film, and I liked it very much, especially Lisbeth. I felt some kind of connection with her from the very beginning. I like that she’s such a survivor. She’s a fighting spirit, she never feels sorry for herself, she always finds a way to act, instead of just being stuck in the middle of emotions. She’s trying to create the life she wants to live and I like that very much.

“Nobody recognises me because I don’t look like her, but I think what I have in common with her is I’ve been on my own in life. I moved from my parents when I was 15 and I always knew that it’s up to me to create the life that I want to live and to follow my dreams.”

Is it true you were turned down for the part at first?

“I think Niels saw a picture of me and he thought I was too feminine or too cute. But he wanted to meet me anyway and then he changed his mind, because I think he felt that I knew something about Lisbeth, like I had some some kind of energy that he felt, that was the same as Lisbeth’s.”

What did you do to become her?

“It was pretty hard sometimes. I was preparing for seven months before the shooting. I wanted to transform. I wanted to be more like a boy. I wanted to be a bit more skinny, a bit more masculine, I wanted to get rid of my female body.

“I was training martial arts like Taekwondo for four or five days a week with a crazy Serbian guy. I was on a certain diet because I wanted to lose some weight and I took my motorcycle driving licence and I cut my hair and pierced myself, so it was a lot of preparation.

“The tattoo was like a kid’s tattoo that we put on everyday with water. But it was extremely important that the tattoo said something about Lisbeth’s past. We were working a couple of months to find the right expression and energy in the tattoo.”

Did you feel pressure because of the books’ popularity?

“I had to ignore the pressure and everybody’s expectations because it was crazy. It felt like some kind of suicide mission to go into this, to be the one who’s going to give life to Lisbeth. So when the film was released I expected everyone to hate me and I didn’t think I could walk on the streets.

“It was extremely important for me to humanise her because in the book she’s a bit cartoonish, she can be a bit unreal sometimes, she can do things that aren’t really credible, so I wanted every scene to be real Lisbeth.”

Would you now like to make English speaking films?

“Yeah, absolutely. I’m actually reading an English script now.”

doug maverick
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
this movie is being remade.and david fincher may direct the english version.

GeneChing
03-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Maybe Portman could do it. Maybe. It would really stretch her acting skills. But it's going to take a helluva lot of guts to match Rapace. She knocks Lizbeth out of the ballpark with her performance.

I saw this film last week. It's tense, gritty and remarkably engrossing. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because there's some graphic rape and revenge. Almost every female character is abused. Nevertheless, I was so engaged in the story that I kept forgetting to look for our magazine and then when it was over, I was thinking I might have missed it while reading the Swedish subtitles.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Reviews (http://www.altfg.com/blog/movies-431/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-reviews/)
by Joan Lister | Mar 20, 2010

Based on Stieg Larsson’s bestseller, Niels Arden Oplev’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has become an international box-office sensation. The dark thriller-horror mystery stars European Film Award nominee Noomi Rapace as a computer hacker who helps a journalist (Michael Nyqvist) in his attempt to solve the decades-old disappearance of a young Swedish heiress.

David Fincher will supposedly handle the inevitable American remake. Natalie Portman, Kristen Stewart, and Keira Knightley have been rumored as possibilities for the English-language hacker.

Below are a few snippets from several reviews by US-based critics:

"Swedish director Niels Arden Oplev faithfully and intelligently transfers the first volume of Stieg Larsson’s hugely popular detective trilogy to the screen. … [T]he key to the film’s effectiveness is the casting of Rapace, who, while not mapping quite exactly to the book’s physical descriptions, is riveting." Andy Klein in The Christian Science Monitor.

"The Lisbeth you know from the books … has already been found. Her name is Noomi Rapace and she owns the part. If I were Portman, Knightley or Stewart, I’d be shaking in my boots. Actually, this Lisbeth could scare Jason Bourne." Mary Pols in Time.

"According to recent industry news, David Fincher is already considering directing a remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo … But it’s hard to say what the director of Seven and Zodiac could bring to a film that’s already as dark, moody, and vice-focused as Seven, and as intricately procedural as Zodiac. Niels Arden Oplev’s Dragon adaptation is already a poisonous gem, in large part thanks to fearless performances and an unwaveringly graphic sensibility that doesn’t flinch at the most horrific parts of Larsson’s story." Tasha Robinson in The A.V. Club.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a potboiler but entertaining enough to rise above its flaws, which include a 152-minute run time. Those who stick it out will see an especially dark murder mystery that presents Swedish society as corrupt and profoundly antagonistic to women." Walter Addiego in the San Francisco Chronicle.

" It’s the rare 2 1/2 -hour film that doesn’t make you look at your watch once. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is such a film. It isn’t so much the pacing. … Rather, like a good book, the plot is so engrossing, the characters so rich and complex, the mood of gloom mixed with glimmers of hope so all-encompassing that the thought of its actually ending never occurs to you." Michael O’Sullivan in the Washington Post.

So I'm now informed that our magazine appears in the sequel, The Girl Who Played with Fire. I'm told that in the second film the police visits Lisbeth Salander's apartment, which Miriam Wu has rented. Miriam Wu is very much into kung fu (and similar sports) and on her kitchen table is our magazine, which one of the police officers looks through. So I'm waiting on the sequel. ;)

SimonM
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm actually reading the book right now.

GeneChing
05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I've just seen The Girl Who Played with Fire (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1016193) and have The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1024634). I'll link them here to their reviews. Fire does feature our mag prominently!

@PLUGO
07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Daniel Craig has closed his deal (http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/daniel-craig-closes-deal-for-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/) to play journalist Mikael Blomkvist in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, a deal which factors in options for two sequels based on The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest.

Lucas
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
ill probably need to wait. i started watching this on netflix but all the subtitling is cut in half at the bottom of the screen. sooooo annoying

MasterKiller
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I watched it. It wasn't bad.

Hebrew Hammer
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Thought it was one of the best films of the year...loved the lizbeth character...foreign films have such better dialogue, plot, character development than 99% of American films...amazingly not one bit of CGI.

doug maverick
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Thought it was one of the best films of the year...loved the lizbeth character...foreign films have such better dialogue, plot, character development than 99% of American films...amazingly not one bit of CGI.

i wouldnt say not one bit...you'd be surprised, cgi is used in about 85% of the worlds movies these days, most times its so small its unnoticeable and this film did have some cgi, the visual effects was done by a company called filmgate, which is a CG effects company.

daniel craig has just been cast in the american version.

GeneChing
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Noomi "finished" with Salander (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iW1-FAyBFwgrnw2Vqw-S7-w1PxXQ)
(UKPA) – 7 hours ago

Noomi Rapace has declared she is "finished" with Lisbeth Salander.

The Swedish actress is so done with the character she portrayed for the big-screen adaptations of Stieg Larsson's Millennium novels that she wouldn't even consider working with acclaimed director David Fincher and leading man Daniel Craig for the Hollywood remake.

"With the remake, I've been very clear on that point from the beginning; it doesn't matter who is going to direct, it doesn't matter who is going to play Mikael Blomkvist, I'm finished," she told Total Film.

Noomi reckons the Oscar-nominated filmmaker can do the books justice.

"I love Fight Club and I think Seven is an amazing film. I think Fincher is one of the few directors in the world that can do something really good with it - but I'm done with her," she explained.

"I don't have this dream about Hollywood. For me, it's more important to work with people and do projects that I deeply believe in and feel like I really have to do."

Bond star Daniel will play roving journalist Mikael Blomkvist for David's English-language adaptation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, while the coveted role of computer hacker Lisbeth has yet to be decided, with Ellen Page and Mia Wasikowska rumoured to be in the frame.
My respect for Rapace just went up yet another notch. No way - NO EFFING WAY - Ellen or Mia could do Lisbeth. I just can't see that working.

doug maverick
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
neither of those two girls are in the running...although after inception i would like to see ellen paige give it a shot. but from what i hear they are both out.

doug maverick
07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
as reported yesterday by yours truly, before the news sources said it, ellen paige and every other big name is out. the final four are all unknowns

Nicole Sperling
Categories: Casting, Movie Biz, News

Our sources confirm The Daily Beast’s report that director David Fincher has narrowed casting choices for the highly coveted role of Lisbeth Salander in the Hollywood adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo down to four relatively unknown leading ladies. None of the big-name candidates, such as Carey Mulligan or Ellen Page, have moved forward either by their own choice or Fincher’s. (One source tells EW that Fincher offered the meaty part opposite Daniel Craig to Natalie Portman but she turned it down. Calls to Portman’s reps were not returned.)

The four actresses left in the running are Rooney Mara, who recently finished working for Fincher on his upcoming film The Social Network; French actress Lea Seydoux, who appeared as Isabella of Angouleme in this year’s Robin Hood, as well as last year’s Inglourious Basterds; and two Australian actresses: Sarah Snook and Sophie Lowe. Snook recently starred in Julia Leigh’s erotic fairy tale Sleeping Beauty while Lowe is a more established actresses in her home country, appearing in a number of local productions, including Blessed and Blame. Fincher had also been pursuing South African singer/rapper Yo-Landi Vi$$er from the group Die Antwoord, but the artist isn’t interested in an acting career.

Fincher is supposed to begin shooting the film in the early fall and is likely to have his decision in the next week or so. Sony Pictures has already scheduled the movie for Dec. 21, 2011.

Hebrew Hammer
07-28-2010, 11:33 PM
My respect for Rapace just went up yet another notch. No way - NO EFFING WAY - Ellen or Mia could do Lisbeth. I just can't see that working.

I second that motion! Why is it always so fun to see someone give the finger to the 'system'?

doug maverick
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
05 August 2010
Stellan Skarsgard Wants A Dragon Tattoo
He's in talks to play Martin Vanger
Source: Variety
Stellan Skarsgard Wants A Dragon Tattoo

David Fincher might still be trying to decide which young actress should nab the plum role of Lisbeth Salander opposite Daniel Craig’s Blomkvist in his Sweden-set/English-language remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but it appears he’s moving a little quicker to fill the other roles, with Stellan Skarsgard in talk to play Martin Vanger.

Martin is, of course, one of the sprawling Vanger family lead by patriarch Henrik that Blomkvist and Salander investigate while trying to figure out a 40-year-old mystery about a missing girl. Deep, dark secrets are revealed and (mild spoiler alert!) Marty is one of the prime suspects.

Skarsgard, last seen in Angels & Demons, seems like the perfect choice, given his acting cred and the fact that he’s Swedish (even if that makes us worry he’ll make Daniel Craig sound like he’s just faking the accent).

"I have met Fincher, I want to work with him, and he wants to work me. I have had a concrete offer and now we are in negotiations," Skarsgard tells Variety. "The contract is for the period September to March, but I don't know yet when I am supposed to start my part of the film. Most of it is to be shot in Stockholm, but some studio work will be done in the U.S. I think there might be some location work there as well, when it becomes too dark to shoot here."

Steven Zaillian has written and is still polishing the script, and has also reportedly been asked by the producers to start work on adapting Stieg Larsson’s follow-up novel The Girl who Played With Fire.
James White this cast is shaping up to look really good.

JamesC
08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I watched the Swedish version with my wife last night.

I thought it was the best of it's kind that i've seen. I'm not usually a fan of this type of movie(thriller/killer), but I enjoyed it. The fact that my wife was interested enough to sit through 2.5 hours of reading subtitles just shows how good it is.

Although there were a couple scenes that were really uncomfortable to watch, I thought the poetic justice that Lisbeth served was pretty awesome.

SPOILER BELOW!

Also, am I the only one that wanted to punch Blomkvist in the face for questioning Lisbeth for not helping Martin? Seriously? The guy was a serial rapist/killer and tried to kill him. Not to mention that he did it to his own sister.

If anything, he burned too slow. He should have been put on a *****et and slow roasted.

TaichiMantis
08-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I just saw it last week, dreading the hollywood version...:eek:

doug maverick
08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
I just saw it last week, dreading the hollywood version...:eek:

why are you dreading the hollywood version with someone like david fincher at the helm? this is not a studio style movie...this is david se7en, the game,fight club, panic room, benjamin button, mutha f uckeing fincher. respect his gangster.... its like when marty did the departed...****ing awesome movie.

TaichiMantis
08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
why are you dreading the hollywood version with someone like david fincher at the helm? this is not a studio style movie...this is david se7en, the game,fight club, panic room, benjamin button, mutha f uckeing fincher. respect his gangster.... its like when marty did the departed...****ing awesome movie.

I liked the Swedish version so much, I just don't think it will be better...and I'll be disappointed.:mad:

doug maverick
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
well i think with the cast thats being assembled in front of the camera, and those behind the camera in the writing and directing department. its shaping up to be amazing.

doug maverick
08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
the sh!t gets thicker...

Salander Role Up for Grabs for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Thompson on Hollywood
Thompson on Hollywood
Thompson on Hollywood
Thompson on Hollywood
Thompson on Hollywood

Everyone is waiting for the news to break on which of the young actresses in the wings will land the role of punk hacker Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher’s English-language film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. According to producer Scott Rudin, EW’s story positing that Natalie Portman is back in the running because the studio is skittish about casting an unknown in such a pivotal recurring role is “not true.”

Being able to deliver kick-ass action, uninhibited bisexual sex, intense emotion and a Swedish accent makes this a challenge for any actress. Given that Fincher seems bent on casting an unknown under age 24 and under five foot five, Portman at age 29 and Evan Rachel Wood and Carey Mulligan at 5’ 7” seem to be out of the running. So expect Salander to be one of the final four (Emily Browning seems to have fallen by the wayside): French Lea Seydoux, American Mara Rooney or Aussies Sarah Snook or Sophie Lowe. There is an outside chance that Inception star Ellen Page could sneak in if she nails the accent. The decision should come down soon, as Daniel Craig will move into this movie this fall as Mikael Blomkvist after he completes Jon Favreau’s Cowboys & Aliens.

I like the possible casting of Stellan Skarsgard and Robin Wright (now divorced from Sean Penn) as Martin Vanger and Erica Berger, Blomkvist’s married editor, respectively. I’d like to see Berger nab a larger role in this movie than in the Swedish version, which omitted her sexy relationship with her star writer, who is what you’d call a man who loves women. That aspect of his persona is given short shrift in the Swedish films. Writer Steve Zaillian has promised to put Salander front and center in these stories—some months back he led me to think he was expecting to write all three.

@PLUGO
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Here’s the latest, a real curveball ...
(http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/08/07/natalie-portman-back-in-the-dragon-tattoo-mix-robin-wright-in-talks/)from Entertainment Weekly (http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/08/07/fincher-dragon-tattoo-natalie-portman/). They’re saying – cautiously – that Natalie Portman is apparently back in the mix. They do also cite a source inside the studio who offers a contrary view, promising that the role will go to

The ongoing story of Natalie Portman’s involvement with Dragon Tattoo goes like this: she was actively sought for the role, Fincher actually offered it to her, she declined, he started looking at other actresses, some of those also declined, last weekend he screen tested a good half dozen candidates or so, and now Sony are actually very keen to go back to earlier plans and lock down Portman for the role. It might be at least partially true.

doug maverick
08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
i'm gonna say this is a big stetch, if paige didnt get it, if portman is really still in the mix emma has a looong shot.

Rumor: Emma Watson Chops Off Hair for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'

by Monika Bartyzel Aug 11th 2010 // 10:32AM

Filed under: Drama, Foreign Language, Casting, RumorMonger, Remakes and Sequels
This "news" was inevitable. A cute actress with long, flowing locks cuts off her hair one day. We're not talking a trim, but all of it, until said woman's hair looks like a pixie swim cap cutely clinging to her head. She then went on her website and said: "Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like it."

Naturally, within a day or two of the news, gossip columns started bubbling with "reports" that this actress -- Harry Potter star Emma Watson -- chopped it off not for her own sense of liberation, but to audition for the part of Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher's remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Gossip sites like The Sun claim that their sources attribute the new 'do to being gung-ho about the Salander part. Obviously, it's a possibility. Maybe she cut it to show that she's serious, and then realized that she really loved the new look. But to me, this screams an inevitable rumor whipped up because a young girl couldn't possibly chop off her hair like this without a film role in mind, and with Salander up for grabs, there was no chance these two things wouldn't be linked by someone, somewhere. And it looks like I'm right, since Gossip Cop reports that they talked to Watson's rep, who says this rumor is "absolutely false on all accounts."

No surprise.

If it was true, she's definitely an interesting choice, one that would allow Watson to continue the wizard-to-risque path crafted by her young co-stars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Robert Pattinson. However, I can't say whether she'd be good. Watson has the least experience outside of Harry Potter, and a tough-as-nails punk heroine with a Swedish accent is in a whole other realm of performance.

Let's hope they cast this sucker soon so this continual wave of speculation ceases. Do you think Emma Watson is right for the role?

doug maverick
08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
and it seems they cast sort of an unknown, i predict that with this news and the fact that she is in the big facebook movie social network(also directed by fincher) that she is going to be big, hopefully eclipsing the crappy actress that is kristen (fidgety actor) stewart.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Rooney Mara will be “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” Columbia Pictures confirmed on Monday.

Rooney nabbed the highly covered role of edgy hacker Lisbeth Salander in the American big screen adaptation of Stieg Larsson’s literary set, The Millenium Trilogy.

The actress, who is up next in theaters in “The Social Network,” alongside Justin Timberlake (and directed by David Fincher), reportedly beat out a field of contenders that, at one time, included Natalie Portman, Ellen Page and recent Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan.

Last week, just Rooney, French actress Lea Seydoux and Australian actress’ Sarah Snook and Sophie Lowe, were reportedly left in the running, before Rooney was ultimately cast as Lisbeth.

Additionally, while his role as James Bond may be in limbo due to financial difficulties at MGM’s studio level, Daniel Craig has nabbed the part of Mikael Blomkvist in “Dragon,” Columbia Pictures also confirmed on Monday. Mikael and Lisbeth paths cross as they look for a missing girl.

“Dragon…” will begin shooting in Sweden in September.

David Fincher will direct, while Steve Zaillian has written the screenplay.

“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” hits theaters on December 21, 2011. The second installment of the original Swedish trilogy, “The Girl Who Played With Fire,” hit American theaters on July 9, and the third movie in the original series, “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets’ Nest” will be released stateside on October 15.

GeneChing
08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
What? The woman who plays Lisbeth has to have two O's in her name?

Will Rooney Mara make a good Lisbeth Salander? (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/08/rooney-mara-lisbeth-salander-girl-with-thedragon-tattoo.html)
August 17, 2010 | 7:30 am

By now many of the arguments have been waged over the casting of Rooney Mara as the damaged hacker Lisbeth Salander in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." She's brooding, but is she tough? She's attractive, but is she too attractive? She can do moody, but can she get expressive? It's nearly impossible to satisfy fans of a popular literary character: Pick a huge star and she comes freighted with her previous roles; take an unknown and fans ask, nervously, what she's done to deserve the promotion.

It's not easy, in other words, being David Fincher.

Given this dilemma, the director split the difference: He took an actress some of us may have seen, but not one we have too many preconceptions about, the best-known among a group of unknowns (but of course not unknown to him, what with the director observing her up-close as the female co-lead in his "The Social Network.")

Those us who watched the actress in "A Nightmare on Elm Street" may have seen some of the same glints that Fincher spotted, appreciating the restraint that could serve her well in a role otherwise susceptible to scenery-chewing. If she's a little mopey, it's probably better than being a little over the top.

There's also a quiet confidence that comes out in Mara's Nancy Holbrook character, the kind that lies carefully between passivity and hyperactivity. In a horror genre where an actor's main skill generally involves running and shrieking, Mara conveyed fear in more subtle ways.

That quiet can also come off less as angry than as wide-eyed, a suggestion that she doesn't regard the world with the same suspicion as an actress such as Noomi Rapace, who originated the role. That's probably giving rise to some of the toughness questions. But there are worse things than compensating for swagger with soul. Mara makes us think of a less chirpy version of Emily Blunt.

Maybe most fitting are the ways in which Mara's "Nightmare" character parallels the Salander one. In the horror remake, she's also a strong but lonerish type, and one who happens to team with a male counterpart to solve brutal crimes using shoe-leather research. And she does all this, for the most part, convincingly.

Fans who hold the Millennium trilogy dear and worry about a Katie-Holmes-in-Batman weak-link problem may also want to keep this in mind: Repeat actor-director relationships tend to work out over time. Burton and Depp, Scorsese and DeNiro/DiCaprio, Hitch**** and Grant/Stewart. If an A-list director can work with anyone he likes and chooses the very same person he just worked with, he either really believes in him or her or really believes he can get something good out of that person.

Fincher is no stranger to mining new talent, particularly of the Goth sort -- with "The Panic Room," after all, he gave Kristen Stewart one of her first big film roles. But don't let that example depress you. In 1995, Fincher took another relatively fresh face and put it front and center in a movie that became a beloved blockbuster. The actor was Brad Pitt, and that role in "Se7en" in many ways set the stage for the actor's career. Mara probably won't become one of the world's most famous faces, marry one of the world's other most famous faces and adopt a group of children from Africa. But she'll probably do fine just the same.

http://www.thegioidienanh.vn/Uploads/rooney-mara.jpg

TaichiMantis
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, this role should get rid of the "girl next door" image portrayed in the pic Gene showed...;)

doug maverick
09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
i was waiting for the third one to come out so i can watch all three, looks like it will be in american theaters this fall so i figured i would watch 1 and 2...and i gotta say this movie, is a david fincher type film, not only do i think he will do the book justice, but im gonna go on record and say that he will exceed everyone's expectations. as for rooney as salander, ehhh idk..we shall see. this was a very very good movie, from a extremely good book.

and speaking of noomi rapace:

Noomi Rapace Lands Lead Role in 'Sherlock Holmes 2'
Add Comment
September 13, 2010 07:02:04 GMT

The Swedish star of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' reportedly will play a French gypsy in the 'Sherlock Holmes' sequel.
Noomi Rapace
See larger image
© /WENN

Early Oscars favorite Noomi Rapace has landed the female lead in the "Sherlock Holmes" sequel. The Swedish star of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played with Fire" will join Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law in the film.

Rapace will play a French gypsy, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The news comes weeks after newcomer Rooney Mara was named the actress who would revamp Rapace's role of Lisbeth Salander in the Hollywood remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

"Sherlock Holmes 2" is expected to start filming in October for December 16, 2011 U.S. release. Beside Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, Rachel McAdams who will also reprise her role as Irene Adler, Guy Ritchie has signed to return to the directing seat. cant wait to see what role she plays...love interest...nah i cant see that.

GeneChing
09-13-2010, 03:08 PM
You got to see Played with Fire (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1016193) now Doug, while it's still in the theaters. Remember to cheer when you see our mag.

First Images Of Rooney Mara as 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' Surface (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-first-images-of-rooney-mara-as-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-surface.html)
by Erin Carlson · September 8, 2010

Fans of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" are no doubt eager to see how newcomer Rooney Mara channels computer hacker Lisbeth Salander in the hotly anticipated American movie adaptation of the best-selling Stieg Larsson novel. Now they're getting their first glimpse, thanks to new photos posted online.

The photos, first leaked on Mara's fan site, reveal the 25-year-old actress undergoing a full-on Lisbeth transformation. She sports Lisbeth's cropped black alterna-haircut, pale skin, and biker gear. One photo shows Mara riding a motorcycle; others show her being helped off the bike by two men. In that case, the photos might have been taken during Mara's pre-production practice.
Photos: Rooney Mara's red carpet glamour

Filming will soon begin in Stockholm, Sweden. The movie also stars Daniel Craig, Stellan Skarsgard, and Robin Wright, with David Fincher ("Zodiac," "Curious Case Of Benjamin Button") as the big-name director. "Dragon Tattoo" is slated for release in December 2011.

Just last month, Mara -- younger sister of actress Kate Mara and great-granddaughter of Pittsburgh Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. -- was announced as the lead in the coveted Lisbeth role, beating out a slew of other contenders in the process. Her previous credits include "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Youth in Revolt." She'll next be seen as Mark Zuckerberg's ex-girlfriend in the Facebook movie "The Social Network," which opens October 1.
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/mo/250x200_rooneymaraset_closeup.jpg

doug maverick
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
yea im gonna go see the second one soon...luckily i live in a city where movies take forever to go out of a theatre...shoot there are films that have been on dvd for a year that are still playing at some 2 dollar movie theater on the lower east side. or in jersey..

@PLUGO
10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Rooney Mara And Daniel Craig In Costume And On Set Of Fincher’s Dragon Tattoo click here (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/09/see-rooney-mara-and-daniel-craig-in-costume-and-on-set-of-finchers-dragon-tattoo-redux/)

Violent Designs
10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I watched the original a long time back.

It was a great movie but not AMAZING or anything....

I don't know what's up with the huge buzz. =_=

doug maverick
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
well because its a remake of a best selling novel, that has a huge following...and has one of the biggest and best directors in the game attached to it, not to mention the current james bond, and the cast just keeps getting bigger and better...i think that makes it buzz worthy..

GeneChing
10-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm amazed you don't see that, V.D. You are usually so perceptive.

The Millennium book series is the next Harry Potter.

11 October 2010 Last updated at 06:39 ET
'Fifth' Stieg Larsson book in existence (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11513216)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo front cover Larsson's books have become major best-sellers

The existence of an unfinished manuscript by late author Stieg Larsson's Girl with the Dragon series has been confirmed by his family.

His brother Joakim said in a US TV interview that the writer told him 10 days before his sudden death in 2004 that the book was "nearly finished".

Mr Larsson told CBS's Sunday Morning show that it was written as the fifth story rather than the fourth.

The three existing crime stories have gone on to sell millions worldwide.

Larsson, who died of a heart attack aged 50, did not live to see his books become publishing sensations.

His younger brother said: "This book number four, that's book number five, because he thought that was more fun to write than book number four."

Mr Larsson and his father told CBS they would not allow the manuscript to be published.

But it is said to be in the hands of Eva Gabrielsson, Larsson's long-term partner, who lost control of his estate to his father when he died.

Swedish law does not recognise common law marriages.

The two sides have been locked in a legal dispute over the issue since the author's death.

It is unclear whether the manuscript held by Ms Gabrielsson is actually the fourth book in the series or the same one - the fifth take - referred to by his brother.

She has claimed that his brother and father have not presented his work in the way he would have wanted it to be.

I haven't read the books so for me, it's all about Noomi.

12th Oct 2010
Noomi Rapace Going “Alien”?
(http://www.daemonsmovies.com/2010/10/12/noomi-rapace-going-alien/)
Actress Noomi Rapace could be the favorite to land the next big female leading role in Hollywood in the upcoming 3D “Alien” prequel. The project is set up at 20th Century Fox with Ridley Scott directing.

Several actresses recently met with the studio and Scott, Carey Mulligan and Abbie Cornish among them; but it was Rapace that reportedly left the strongest impression. The meeting between Rapace and producers was conducted in the past few weeks but so far no decision has been made on the cast.

Rapace is well known for her role as Lisbeth Salander in the original Swedish version of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.” More recently Rapace has signed on to appear in the upcoming “Sherlock Holmes” sequel.

GeneChing
10-26-2010, 11:25 AM
There are more in the article if you follow the link. I'm only posting two here.

God dag, Kalle Blomkvist: Daniel Craig starts shooting Hollywood remake of Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1319308/Daniel-Craig-starts-shooting-Hollywood-remake-Stieg-Larssons-The-Girl-With-The-Dragon-Tattoo.html)
By Sarah Bull
Last updated at 9:49 AM on 11th October 2010

It's one of the most hotly-anticipated movies of all time.

After it was announced Hollywood would be remaking the original Swedish adaptation of Stieg Larsson's famous novel The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the question on everybody's lips was who would be playing lead character Mikael Blomkvist.

And now James Bond star Daniel Craig has started shooting the blockbuster on the streets of Stockholm, Sweden.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/10/article-0-0B8EA20F000005DC-459_468x404.jpg
Shooting begins: Daniel Craig has started filming The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in Sweden, in which he will be playing Mikael Blomkvist

The 42-year-old actor was spotted shooting one of the opening scenes of the novel on the steps of a courthouse in Stockholm yesterday.

Craig was also seen chatting to director David Fincher before another scene shot later in the day.

There was no sign of Craig's co-star Rooney Mara, who will be playing the title character Lisbeth Salander, on set, although she was pictured arriving in Sweden earlier this week before starting training for one of the film's many motorcycle scenes.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the first book in Larsson's trilogy and tells the story of journalist Blomkvist, who teams up with computer hacker Salander to attempt to solve the disappearance of a young girl called Harriet Vanger.

And while the Hollywood version of the film is sure to be a hit, director Fincher insists he isn't trying to remake Niels Arden Oplev's Swedish film.

He said in a recent interview: 'There is absolutely no reason to do such a thing. Steve Zaillian has written the new screenplay and he based it on the book and made his own version.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/08/article-0-0B1249D1000005DC-605_472x572.jpgRooney Mara is in Stockholm to prepare for the part of Lisbeth Salander

'Sure, there are scenes that will resemble those in the Swedish film, but it is the book that we are filming.'

Meanwhile, Fincher also confirmed that British actress Joely Richardson would be joining the cast, although he did not reveal which character she will be playing.

Steven Berkoff has also signed on to the film, and is believed to be playing Lisbeth's villainous conservator Nils Bjurman.

The movie is expected to be released in late 2011.

Hornet's Nest is opening in America now. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1052737#post1052737)

lkfmdc
11-30-2010, 02:43 PM
ok, so it took me almost 10 months to catch up on this.....

Lucas
11-30-2010, 03:34 PM
ok, so it took me almost 10 months to catch up on this.....

geeez, what a noob.

:p

GeneChing
03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
I was mostly drawn to Rooney Mara, as she's playing Lizbeth Salander in Fincher's remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can now see how this remake might work. Rooney's got a charisma with that edge and with Fincher's direction, I'm now less skeptical of the remake.

doug maverick
03-20-2011, 07:31 AM
I was mostly drawn to Rooney Mara, as she's playing Lizbeth Salander in Fincher's remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can now see how this remake might work. Rooney's got a charisma with that edge and with Fincher's direction, I'm now less skeptical of the remake.

never be skeptical of fincher gene...thats blasphemy.

wenshu
06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Sony/Columbia took the red band trailer down.
http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=girlwiththedragontattoo

GeneChing
12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Here's The New Yorker's review, set to be published next week. I hear there's some dispute over this review but I don't know the details. There's a second half on Tintin, but I didn't cut&paste that here as they didn't seem to go together. Follow the link if you're interested in that.

Double Dare
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2011/12/12/111212crci_cinema_denby)” and “The Adventures of Tintin.”
by David Denby December 12, 2011

http://www.newyorker.com/images/2011/12/12/p233/111212_r21662_p233.jpg
Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara in David Fincher’s new movie.

You can’t take your eyes off Rooney Mara as the notorious Lisbeth Salander, in the American movie version of Stieg Larsson’s “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” (opening December 21st). Slender, sheathed in black leather, with short ebony hair standing up in a tuft, her fingers poking out of black woollen gloves as they skitter across a laptop keyboard, Mara (who played Mark Zuckerberg’s girlfriend at the beginning of “The Social Network”) cuts through scene after scene like a swift, dark blade. Salander is a twenty-four-year-old hacker with many piercings, of herself and of others. She’s both antisocial and intensely sexual—vulnerable and often abused but overequipped to take revenge. She lives in an aura of violence. Salander obviously accounts for a big part of the success of Larsson’s crime novels—both men and women are turned on by her—and Mara makes every scene that she appears in jump. She strips off and climbs right onto Daniel Craig, as Mikael Blomkvist, the investigative journalist who takes Salander on as a partner, and whom she makes her lover. Craig looks a little surprised. In this movie, he is modest, quiet, even rather recessive. It’s Mara’s shot at stardom, and he lets her have it.

Much of the movie is set on a private island controlled by the Vanger clan, a wealthy Swedish industrial family peopled with criminals, perverts, solitaries, exiles, dead Nazis, and a grieving old man, Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer), who has never got over the disappearance of his grandniece, forty years earlier. In one last attempt to find her, he hires Blomkvist, who has been temporarily discredited in a libel suit, and sets him up as an investigator on the island, a place that no American one-per-cent family would ever dream of owning. It’s way up north, windy, snowy, and treacherously beautiful; once you cross the bridge to this enclave, you enter an icy hell. Blomkvist and Salander, warming each other, conduct their investigation from the island, hacking into whatever files they need; they leave only when they have to, with Mara, head down in the wind, tearing around Sweden on a motorcycle like—well, like a bat out of hell. The movie zips ahead, in short, spiky scenes punctuated by skillfully edited montages of digitized photographs and newspaper articles. David Fincher, who directed the picture (working with Steven Zaillian’s screenplay), moves at a much faster pace than he did in “Zodiac,” his 2007 movie about a murder investigation. In “Zodiac,” every time a piece of evidence trembles into view, it quickly recedes again. That movie is an expression of philosophical despair: the truth can never be known. “Dragon Tattoo” says the opposite: it celebrates deduction, high-end detective work—what Edgar Allan Poe called “ratiocination.” Everything can be known if you look long and hard enough, especially if you have no scruples about hacking into people’s bank accounts, e-mails, and business records. Salander is a criminal, but she’s our criminal.

At heart, of course, the material is pulpy and sensational. The Vanger men committed atrocious crimes against women in the past, and Salander, who is a ward of the state, is twice brutalized by a smarmy social worker who controls her money. There are certainly lurid moments, but I wouldn’t say that Fincher exploits the material. When Salander is raped, the scene registers as a horror; it’s prolonged and discomforting. And her revenge, however justified, and however much it may amuse the audience, is another horror. This is a bleak but mesmerizing piece of filmmaking; it offers a glancing, chilled view of a world in which brief moments of loyalty flicker between repeated acts of betrayal.

doug maverick
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Dispute has to do with the fact that all press agreed to hold off on publishing reviews until next week so the studio can maximize its press. But some press went back on their word. Lots of oscar buzz around this. The original 3 films were mixed to poor reviewed across the board except offourse for the girl who played lisbeth.

GeneChing
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Often times, when we do reviews, there's an embargo relative to the release date. I feel for the New Yorker here as the timing of print vs. web publication is tricky. As a print magazine, it's difficult to meet embargo requirements. This is why we've moved almost all of our film reviews to our website (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/index.php).

GeneChing
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I caught Rooney on Letterman the other night (coincidentally the same night as Robert Downey Jr.) I heard Charlie Rose did an interview with Fincher this week too.

“THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO”
TO BE RELEASED DECEMBER 20 AT 7 P.M. NATIONWIDE

CULVER CITY, Calif., December 13, 2011 * Moviegoers will get a jump on one of the most highly-anticipated films of the season as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opens one day early beginning on December 20 at 7 p.m. nationwide, it was announced today by Jeff Blake, chairman, Worldwide Marketing and Distribution for Sony Pictures.

Commenting on the announcement, Blake said, “This is one of the busiest times of the year for moviegoing and we can't wait to share this outstanding thriller with audiences all over the world. We feel that by opening for night-time shows on December 20th, fans of the book will be given the perfect opportunity to get a jump start on the release of an exceptional film.”

In The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Academy Award®-nominated director David Fincher (The Social Network) uncoils the world of Stieg Larsson’s global blockbuster thriller on the screen. Within the story’s labyrinth lie murder, corruption, family secrets and the inner demons of the two unexpected partners chasing the truth of a 40-year-old mystery. Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) is a financial reporter determined to restore his honor after being convicted of libel. Engaged by one of Sweden’s wealthiest industrialists, Henrik Vanger (Academy Award® nominee Christopher Plummer), to get to the bottom of the long-ago disappearance of his beloved niece, Harriet * murdered, Vanger believes, by a member of his large family * the journalist heads to a remote island on the frozen Swedish coast, unaware of what awaits him. At the same time, Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), an unusual but ingenious investigator with Milton Security, is hired to do a background check on Blomkvist, a job that ultimately leads to her joining Mikael in his investigation of who killed Harriet Vanger. Though Lisbeth shields herself from a world that has repeatedly betrayed her, her hacking skills and single-minded focus become invaluable. While Mikael goes face-to-face with the tight-lipped Vangers, Lisbeth plies the wired shadows. They begin to trace a chain of homicides from the past into the present, forging a fragile strand of trust even as they are pulled into the most savage currents of modern crime. The screenplay is by Steven Zaillian, based on the book by Stieg Larsson originally published by Norstedts. The producers are Scott Rudin, Ole Søndberg, Søren Stærmose, and Ceán Chaffin. The film is presented by Columbia Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures.

About Sony Pictures Entertainment
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; worldwide television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in more than 142 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.sonypictures.com<http://www.sonypictures.com/> <http://www.sonypictures.com/> .

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com<http://www.mgm.com/>.

GeneChing
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
The reviews are rolling in. Mine will be up tomorrow.

DECEMBER 20, 2011
A Piercing Performance (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204791104577108773588354312.html)
By ALEXANDRA CHENEY

To play the role of Lisbeth Salander in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," Rooney Mara had her hair dyed black and chopped short and asymmetrical, her eyebrows bleached blonde, and her eyebrow, ears and nipple pierced. And that was only the beginning of her transformation.

A scion of football royalty—her great-grandfathers, Timothy Mara and Art Rooney Sr., founded the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers, respectively—Ms. Mara parlayed a popular (if small) part in David Fincher's "The Social Network" (as Mark Zuckerberg's jilted girlfriend) into consideration for the central role of Lisbeth in Mr. Fincher's new adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/NY-BJ429_SPEAKE_D_20111219195016.jpg
Rooney Mara, as Lisbeth Salander in 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,' needed more than a haircut for the role.

To win the role, Ms. Mara, who was born and raised in Westchester County, endured a two-month audition process that included being asked to get drunk and then do a screen test while hung over. The Journal recently sat down with the 26-year-old actor, who was dressed in black from head-to-toe, at the Crosby Street Hotel in SoHo.

A goth haircut is one thing, but were you nervous about getting all those piercings for the role of Lisbeth?

I wasn't really fazed by it at all. I was auditioning for two and a half months at that point, so I was already getting into character and anxious to get started. They cut and dyed the hair and bleached the eyebrows all in one afternoon here at the Crosby Street Hotel. Then we went to Brooklyn and got the piercings. We walked in, we knew what we were going to do. It was me and David [Fincher] and Trish [Summerville, the costume designer], and she got me some orange juice and we got the piercings. David didn't want to stay in the room—he is really squeamish about those kinds of things, which is really funny considering the movies he makes. And it was really easy. It hurts for a second but I wasn't very scared.

Were you concerned about the amount of nudity required?

No. I wouldn't have been able to fight as hard as I did for the job—it's such a huge part of the story. And the character is incredibly comfortable with her sexuality. I had to go into it with the same mindset.

Are there talks of sequels or are you done with Lisbeth?

I'm not done with her at all. I think we have to wait and see if there is an audience for it. I think certainly there should be an audience for it; I think adults have been starved for a movie like this. I kept one piercing and obviously these [motioning to ears] are still pierced. If we do the sequels I don't want to have to get everything re-pierced.

What do you mean by adults being starved?

There are a lot of movies with adult themes that are made at an independent level, but I don't think there are movies on this kind of large scale that are catered to adults. No one wants to put the money into an R-rated film because it is harder to make the money back. I think adults have been left out.

Did you have a history with Lisbeth before you got the role?

I saw the Swedish film a couple of months before I auditioned for the American one. And then I had my first audition for the American film and I knew I would be screen-testing a few months later and knew I had a pretty good shot at it, so then I read the books. But I didn't want to read them—knowing myself and how obsessed I get with things, I didn't want it to be all the more devastating if I didn't get the part, so I waited to read them until I had a good shot.

What's different about your Lisbeth?

That's hard to answer. I spent so much time with the character, it's hard to remember what things you brought, what things are from the books. When you spend so much time that gets very foggy. People who read the books, our version is very close to the books. Larsson colored [Lisbeth] with so many facets and so much back story. You don't usually have that as an actor.

You're originally from Bedford, in Westchester County. Do you feel like a product of where you grew up?

I feel like its an incredible place to live, Westchester, but it can definitely be a bit removed from the rest of the world, and I don't feel like a product of that. Maybe growing up in a place like that has made me drawn to things that are much different than that. Like Salander—she certainly didn't grow up in Westchester, New York.

GeneChing
12-21-2011, 10:45 AM
My 'official KFM' review:

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Subscribes to Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1019)

;)

MightyB
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
My 'official KFM' review:

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Subscribes to Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1019)

;)

Just read your review - hope you didn't over sell it. This one will be tough for me to watch. I read the Series before I watched the Swedish version and, although they made a couple of "artistic" choices with plot, the cast and mood were perfect. I was especially fond of Noomi Rapace in the original. If you read the books, you'd realize that she was absolutely perfect in that role. Lisbeth never let herself be a "victim" even though she was raped - plus, I was really impressed with her genuine ability to convey an Aspergers like persona without it being insulting or contrived.

There was just so much to like about the originals, anyway...

The books are definitely not action packed. This makes me question Fincher and Craig. This is not and should not be "Hollywood" material with big explosions and lengthy action sequences jarringly cut to a techno beat.

doug maverick
12-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Just read your review - hope you didn't over sell it. This one will be tough for me to watch. I read the Series before I watched the Swedish version and, although they made a couple of "artistic" choices with plot, the cast and mood were perfect. I was especially fond of Noomi Rapace in the original. If you read the books, you'd realize that she was absolutely perfect in that role. Lisbeth never let herself be a "victim" even though she was raped - plus, I was really impressed with her genuine ability to convey an Aspergers like persona without it being insulting or contrived.

There was just so much to like about the originals, anyway...

The books are definitely not action packed. This makes me question Fincher and Craig. This is not and should not be "Hollywood" material with big explosions and lengthy action sequences jarringly cut to a techno beat.

why does it make you question either? david fincher is NOT an action director...and craig just has 3 to his credit.

GeneChing
12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm fairly attached to the original Swedish series too. The more I think about it, the more I still like Noomi's portrayal of Lisbeth better. However, Rooney's take on the character shouldn't be ruled out by any means. Just because Craig is in it, it doesn't become an action flick. Like Harrison Ford, Craig can do action as well as thrillers. The new version is very entertaining, and the critics are just fawning over Fincher, making this a good candidate for many awards. I think the Swedish version is hipper, for those of us in the know. Nevertheless, this new version is still very enjoyable. I was more entertained by the new version. I was more moved by the original, but it was all new to me then, so the emotional impact of the story arc had a much more profound effect.

Anyway, I look forward to all your opinions on it. It's great fodder for film buff chats, and that's just what this forum is all about. That and, as they say in A Clockwork Orange, a little of the ol' ultravi. ;)

doug maverick
12-21-2011, 11:31 PM
i should wait till i hate time to digest the movie...i cant say i left the movie disappointed because i didnt...the problem wasnt with the plot, or the characters...the problem was fincher, and im eating my own words on this...david fincher who is meticulous to the point of being *******, was not so in this film, this was not his finest work...which is weird because given his body of work(se7en, fight club, panic room, zodiac killer) this movie should have been a breeze for him. but he was sloppy, it needed to be tighter, not saying there was much fat, but it could have been much tighter and part of that has to do with steven zailians script to much time was wasted with the mundane affairs of the characters lives, adding the daughter and all that was pointless her character could have been done away with...also lesbeth was far removed from the case unlike in the book and swedish version where she is still following michaels work...so when she suddenly pops into the story you dont get that another piece of the puzzle fitting into place feeling..its just like here she is...now shes in...also when they have sex again it just felt random there was no reason for it...he almost gets shot she sows him up and she is like he got shot he needs to get laid...also she wasnt as domineering as she was in the other film...i loved the scene where he tries to cuddle with her and she is like " gtfo" i loved that and alot of women would of loved it too..it was a moment of true female empowerment more so then her getting her rape revenge...but god forbid a women is given to much power in a movie. also the epilogue...wow what a ****ing mess...too long and then the ending the absolute ending...i hated...because it made bloomvist just another ******* guy which he wasnt.

GeneChing
12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
The more I think about it, the more I liked the Swedish version better. But I still liked this new Hollywood version a lot more than I thought I would. I've expressed my skepticism of Fincher's take earlier on this thread, but have to concede that it was still entertaining. It's not as good as Se7en or Fight Club (I wasn't that into Social Network personally, which I felt was overrated), but Fincher is the critics' darling right now and getting rave reviews for this.

Here's an interview with Charlie Rose.
Charlie Rose: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (http://www.hulu.com/watch/311326/charlie-rose-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo).

This is a funny reversal of opinion here. I was all ready to hate on this new adaptaion and Doug was singing Fincher's praise. :rolleyes:

Fincher and Rooney both seem into doing the rest of the series. They had enough foreshadowing shots of Lisbeth's hornet tattoo in the film. In fact, I think we see more shots of her hornet than her dragon.

doug maverick
12-25-2011, 02:53 AM
steve zalian has written both scripts so they may shoot it back to back...its gonna come in forth place...this is not a holiday movie so they couldnt expect big box office with giant pg13 action movies out around the same time. i may give this a second look...havent decided yet...a friend of mine has seen it four times already...

Lucas
12-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I'll probably wait for this to show up on Netflix. At first I was wondering if I was losing it because I didn't realize this was a remake of what I thought was a **** fine movies. Honestly dont get why anyone needs to try and re do something that is already done well and not to very ling ago. Hollywood megalomania at work again. Dudes movies are alright but I think over rated. Fight club for instance...im probably the only person who didn't think it was all that great or life changing yadda yadda. Its one of those films that developed this huge following, with people repeatedly quoting it; 'mnnaa first rules...' shat da fug up. That fight club was full of puzzies

doug maverick
12-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I'll probably wait for this to show up on Netflix. At first I was wondering if I was losing it because I didn't realize this was a remake of what I thought was a **** fine movies. Honestly dont get why anyone needs to try and re do something that is already done well and not to very ling ago. Hollywood megalomania at work again. Dudes movies are alright but I think over rated. Fight club for instance...im probably the only person who didn't think it was all that great or life changing yadda yadda. Its one of those films that developed this huge following, with people repeatedly quoting it; 'mnnaa first rules...' shat da fug up. That fight club was full of puzzies

i wouldnt call this a remake...the swedes just beat the americans to it...but the book is concurrent.

doug maverick
12-26-2011, 11:30 AM
flopped hardcore!!!! which had to be expected..i mean seriously you got two big pg13 action films, and a kids film....lets see what overseas sales say...thats the only savior for this film.

GeneChing
12-27-2011, 09:52 AM
It got snubbed by the SAG awards, but got nominated for Best Editing and Best Score from the Critics' Choice Awards.

To me, this plays out as a remake. It's hard to escape the shadow of the original. That received a lot of Euro & local critic awards, the biggest being BAFTA's Best Film not in the English Language. This new version is garnering a lot of critical acclaim (film people love to fawn over Fincher). But I wouldn't count on the Euro market as they're already much more familiar with the original. Honestly, who wants to see such a dark film over the holidaze?

Is It All Over for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? (http://www.eonline.com/news/ask_the_answer_*****/it_all_over_girl_with_dragon_tattoo/282853)
Mon., Dec. 26, 2011 9:27 AM PST by Leslie Gornstein

Is it true that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo flopped at the box office because people went to see a Tom Cruise movie instead? What's wrong with people?
—NeatElla, via the inbox

Yep, the Dragon Tattoo girl got flamed all right. Charred. Scorched. Pick your favorite Lisbeth Salander-on-fire analogy and go with it. The film's opening is an unquestioned disappointment. Now, if you're hoping to blame Cruise for this debacle, here's what I can tell you...

Yes, his movie won, and David Fincher's U.S. remake of the Swedish juggernaut, well, did naut. The numbers are brutal. Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol, brought in an estimated $26.5 million over the weekend. At No. 2 was the new Sherlock Holmes installment, at $17.8 million. Even the new Chipmunks movie did better than Dragon Tattoo, which came in fourth with an estimated $13 million.

Does that mean that Salander has been officially trounced? Analysts tell me yes.

"A debut of $13 million over the holiday season is equivalent to a lump of coal, especially for a film that brings along this much fanfare," says Jeff Bock of Exhibitor Relations. "Dragon Tattoo will no doubt perform better than Zodiac, which also debuted with $13 million and finished with $33 million. But it is doubtful foreign grosses will bring much merriment, as the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo previously lit it up overseas, grossing $94 million.

"With a budget approaching $90 million, plus purchasing the rights to the Millennium franchise, plus big-time marketing, this will go down as a dud."

But why? Well, you have my permission to blame the squeamishness of the American audience, especially during the holidays, when people want only escapism or sentimentality. The Dragon Tattoo series offers neither, instead depicting, among other violations, the graphic shackling and rape of Salander.

"The subject matter is very disturbing and ultimately dour, and as we saw earlier this fall with Drive, those films don't often connect with moviegoers, especially over the holiday season," Bock tells this B!tch.

A shame, really. In my opinion (which totally counts), this new interpretation of Dragon Tattoo is terrific. I highly recommend it.

doug maverick
12-27-2011, 12:37 PM
yea i wouldnt call it a remake but because there are so many remakes..it got lumped in.

doug maverick
12-27-2011, 10:52 PM
projections were wrong the opening was actually not bad. $27.7million and 3rd place.

doug maverick
12-29-2011, 11:52 AM
i have to agree with this article wholeheartedly....i couldnt understand the holiday release on this film or the massive budget, when you watch im like where the **** did the money go?

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims4/INDIEWIRE/33fd0fc/4102462740/thumbnail/680x478/http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/98/5e809030cb11e197b6123138165f92/file/drag9-350x232.jpg

Five Reasons Why The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Isn't Kicking Ass at the Holiday Box Office
Box Office by Anne Thompson | December 29, 2011 | 2 Comments

"The Girl the Dragon Tattoo."
No question, Sony isn't happy with the early holiday returns on David Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Why did the studio put this violent R-rated counterprogrammer into the holiday window opposite "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"? It got creamed, grossing only $19 million over the four days and $27 over six days in release. Which leads many to ask, if the movie isn't wowing American audiences, why would Sony green light a sequel? Steve Zaillian has already started writing "The Girl Who Played with Fire."

While the movie, which earned decent reviews and an A Cinemascore, should score more than the modest $35 million domestic Sony predicted for the Christmas break, why did "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" disappoint?

1. The holiday release date may be Sony's biggest mistake. The movie wasn't ready for an earlier December berth, but the violent R-rated mystery (not a genre thriller--there's little action), makes unusual holiday fare. It had to face intense competition for the adult audience. And the movie is far less mainstream that you might think given the popularity of its source material. It would have knocked it out of the park on President's Day weekend in February.

2. It's not a mainstream genre title. Yes the books sold 30 million copies around the world, but in studio commercial movie terms, "Tattoo" is a brainy, cerebral, character-driven procedural along the lines of an Agatha Christie mystery. It boasts two detectives, not one. Breaking movie conventions, the male hero is white collar passive and reactive, almost feminine, while the heroine is the tattooed outsider vengeful action hero on a motorbike, better on computers, the sexual aggressor, and saves the hero's ass. Men are not used to this--hey, Lisbeth Salander is on top--and it creates a level of discomfort.

3. It lacks marquee stars. But, you argue, Daniel Craig is James Bond. Well, he makes a great Agent 007, but it's James Bond that pulls people into theaters, not Craig. Put him in anything else and he's a great-looking, charismatic actor with action chops and a wide range. But he didn't pull audiences to see "Cowboys and Aliens." Neither did Harrison Ford. Marquee movie stars are few these days. It helps if they are in a franchise: Tom Cruise in a "Mission" movie, Matt Damon in "Bourne." Only Angelina Jolie or Will Smith-- in an action vehicle--are box office guarantees.

4. Sony mismarketed the film. This movie should have opened better with such a brand title. Despite the R rating, the studio sold the movie as transgressive, dark genre fare to younger audiences, but it played to adults, many of whom had read the book. I don't buy the argument that this is another foreign remake that didn't wash with American audiences. Many of them did not see the Swedish film, which played art houses. This is more of an adaptation of book that was translated into English. The film's primary appeal was to women (attendees were 55% female) and adults (49% 35 and over).

5. It's too expensive and too long. Put David Fincher at the helm of a studio movie and it's going to cost--and two hours and 38 minutes takes its toll at the box office, with fewer slots a day. But why did this movie need a budget of $100 million? That's what dictated the prime-time holiday release date inside the Oscar corridor (which should have been irrelevant to this film). Gorgous as this and "Hugo" are, their inflated budgets make it much harder to come out in the plus column.

GeneChing
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Two noms from the Golden Globes. I thought as much.

golden globes nominations (http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Rooney Mara – The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

doug maverick
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
the score is gonna take it...rooney wont...cause she has the misfortune of running against myrel streep.

funny thing about this movie...its a technical flop(it may break even and make a tidy profit on demand and dvd) but the sequel is already greenlit.

Shaolinlueb
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
i was so bored through this movie.

GeneChing
01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I knew Rooney would get the nom

Actress In a Leading Role / Rooney Mara The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
(http://oscar.go.com/nominees/actress-in-a-leading-role/rooney-mara) Rooney Mara portrays Lisbeth Salander, a troubled young woman who is hired as a research assistant by a journalist investigating a decades-old mystery.

Academy Awards History

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Rooney Mara.

Cinematography / The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Jeff Cronenweth (http://oscar.go.com/nominees/cinematography/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo)
Academy Awards History

This is the second Academy Award nomination for Jeff Cronenweth. He was previously nominated for:

THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)
Nominee, Cinematography

Film Editing / The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall (http://oscar.go.com/nominees/film-editing/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo)

Academy Awards History

This is the third Academy Award nomination for Kirk Baxter. He was previously nominated for:
Winner, Film Editing

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (2008)
Nominee, Film Editing

This is the third Academy Award nomination for Angus Wall. He was previously nominated for:
Winner, Film Editing

Nominee, Film Editing

Sound Editing / The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Ren Klyce (http://oscar.go.com/nominees/sound-editing/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo)

Academy Awards History

Including his nomination this year for Sound Mixing for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, this is the fifth Academy Award nomination for Ren Klyce. He was previously nominated for:

Nominee, Sound Mixing

Nominee, Sound Mixing

FIGHT CLUB (1999)
Nominee, Sound Effects Editing

On a related note, the Extended Version of the Millennium Trilogy was recently released on DVD. The original three Swedish films were for TV :eek: and were longer.

enoajnin
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM
In the longer versions, can you spot the KFM magazine on the table?

doug maverick
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
kfm isnt in the american version...and in the swedish version in the second film it isnt on the table either...its displayed prominently when the cops are checking lisbeths mail or what they persume to be her mail.

GeneChing
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Our ace critic at the SF Chron explains the Millennium Trilogy release:

DVD review: 'Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended' (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/22/PKER1MN9LO.DTL)
Mick LaSalle
Sunday, January 22, 2012
Music Box Films / Amazon.com
WILD APPLAUSE

You may be a fan of the "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, but unless you've seen the films in their original Swedish versions, you don't fully know the series. For example, I've received outraged letters from fans of the first "Dragon Tattoo" film saying that David Fincher's American version corrupted the ending of the original Swedish film. But in fact these letters are complaining about things that were in the Swedish version - as it was seen in Sweden - and then cut from the American release. Swedish television must really be something. Most of Ingmar Bergman's later films started out in long TV versions, then were cut by at least a third for theatrical release worldwide. The "Dragon Tattoo" series, meanwhile, was made up of six installments (two for each novel), each clocking in at almost 90 minutes. So the material for each of the three movies was cut from approximately three hours of content. Sometimes the cuts were beneficial and streamlined the story ("The Girl Who Played With Fire" was better shorter), but sometimes the extra length was a virtue ("The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"). In addition, the set includes a 53-minute documentary about novelist Stieg Larsson and his work and behind-the-scenes footage. Seen in its entirety, the series has the languorous feel of something made for television. If you have a Blu-ray player, get the Blu-ray. It looks great and can be found on line for much less than the list price.

Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended Edition
Various dates
Not rated
Music Box Films
$79.95

doug maverick
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
i was like what is gene talking about i spelled mail correctly then i saw...i spelled male...lmao...thank gene...

in other news...the oscar noms overall are bland...the best picture noms were movies that didnt even do well with the exception of the help...

GeneChing
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Another Oscar for Kirk Baxter

doug maverick
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Another Oscar for Kirk Baxter

yup well deserved...!!! the oscars sucked thou...i hated the subtext of trying to get people to go to the movies more. and not to mention the staleness of the whole thing, i smelled mothballs coming out of my tv it was so old...the academy is really really out of step with the times.

David Jamieson
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
yup well deserved...!!! the oscars sucked thou...i hated the subtext of trying to get people to go to the movies more. and not to mention the staleness of the whole thing, i smelled mothballs coming out of my tv it was so old...the academy is really really out of step with the times.

I know...it was somewhat weird. Like a room full of antiquities demanding to be relevant in the here and now.

It's only a matter of time before the studio system collapses like a borders book store.

There are Directors out there who are into the cutting edge or production, but it is the behemoth studio system that needs to fall before there is greater freedom of film making and forward thinking in it.

There's a tipping point that has been reached and a gap that hasn't been spoken to.

Should make for an interesting scene over the next decade.:)

GeneChing
02-27-2012, 05:41 PM
...but it was so much better than last years.

doug maverick
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
...but it was so much better than last years.

i thought that was funny...considering that both woman had been with puffy...i wonder if puffy was like...**** how can i get them into a threesome...hahaha..

another well deserved award was bob richardson, he finally got his award, the guy has lensed the last few scoresese films, as well ass both kill bills, inglorious basterds, platoon, and a plethora of other films...he is one of the best cinematographers in the game.

GeneChing
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
I totally missed it. There's a lot of news about it. If there was one, it was overshadowed by J Lo's big booty.

doug maverick
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I totally missed it. There's a lot of news about it. If there was one, it was overshadowed by J Lo's big booty.

i missed it :( lol

GeneChing
02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
2012 Oscars: Jennifer Lopez didn’t suffer wardrobe malfunction; Stylist claims there were no chances of ‘slips’ (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2012-oscars-jennifer-lopez-suffer-wardrobe-malfunction-stylist-claims-chances-slips-article-1.1029222?localLinksEnabled=false)
Mock Twitter account with the handle @JLosNipple was created after alleged fashion faux pas
By Cristina Everett / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, February 27, 2012, 11:28 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1029221.1330367264!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 26: Presentors Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz speak onstage during the 84th Annual Academy Awards held at the Hollywood & Highland Center on February 26, 2012 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Mark Davis/WireImage)
Mark Davis/WireImage

Despite the hoopla surrounding Jennifer Lopez’s potential fashion faux pas, her stylist insists she did not have a wardrobe malfunction at the Oscars.

The singer-actress, who presented the Academy Award for Best Costume Design and Makeup alongside Cameron Diaz at Sunday night’s show, donned a Zuhair Murad dress with a plunging neckline that had many viewers raising their eyebrows.

At first glance, the low-cut gown appeared to have showed a little too much of J.Lo’s left breast during the few minutes she was on live television.

Her stylist, however, denies there was any “slips,” claiming the sexy gown was designed with special built-in cups that would have prevented any such incident.

“The Oscar dress was custom made for Jennifer,” stylist Mariel Haenn told EW. “The dress fit perfectly to her every inch.

“While the dress did give the illusion of sheer-ness, jokes on everyone who wishes they saw something!”

Regardless of what actually happened, the speculation created such a sensation on the Internet Sunday night that a mock Twitter account with the handle @JLosNipple was born. As of Monday morning, the account has garnered nearly 2,000 followers.

“For people that don't have HD....I understand why you aren't following me,” one post reads. “For everyone else....you're welcome.”
Unless it's got a shuriken on it, I'm not that intrigued with nipple slips.
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/janet-jackson-nip110211.jpg

doug maverick
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
looks like a slight slight, partial nipple circle..not exactly a nip slip..lol...but now puffy p diddy diddy whatever you wanna call him...he is my new hero.

sanjuro_ronin
02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Is the J-lo thing what people are calling nipple slips today?
BBWWAHHHH !!!!
Who care sabout nipplie slips anyways?
Don't they know that what is in for the 21st century is pantiless crotch shots and upskirts ??