PDA

View Full Version : So What is Wing Chun Defense?

Ultimatewingchun
03-19-2010, 11:51 PM
A blocking system? Avoidance? Deflection?

Yes, all of the above.

Good, now that we've got that out of the way, here's what I'm really getting at...Many people in the wing chun world talk about the art being concept based, and therefore there are no specific techniques to be used in any given situation - including while on defense. Because the art is "concept" based...not "technique" based.

We've all heard this, right?

Well if this is true, then what are the following wing chun "moves" for?

Pak
bil
tan
garn
bong
lan
chuen
jut
huen
fuk
gum
lop

Now I'm purposely not going to get into (not now, anyway)....how bong can be (or should be) used against this, how pak can be (or should be) used against that, or how bil, (or bil/lop) as defense can be (or should be) used against something else, etc...

but rather, I'm throwing this out to the forum:

If such ideas about how to use various wing chun moves aren't valid as defense (or as part of one's wing chun defensive maneuvers)...in addition to outright "avoidance" as defense (via footwork and angling)...

if such ideas about the above moves aren't valid when it comes to a blocking or redirecting type of defense...

then what are the above moves actually for?

Now Yes, I realize that moves like lop, and lan, and one or two others that have been mentioned can be used as part of offense...

but all of the moves mentioned above can be part of one's wing chun defense, ime. And in specific situations, imo, as opposed to other "specific" situations wherein using A would make no sense against that uppercut...but using B would make sense, for example.

But where are the moves? Where is the defense? Do you use them?

If not, why bother learning them? If you don't use them, (and assuming that you do spar/fight, whatever)...then what's the reason why you don't (or can't) use them?

Some people might say that if you extend your arm out as part of a defensive manuever you are exposing yourself to getting hit - and at certain distances this is true, imo...but at other distances this objection makes no sense to me whatsoever.

But where are the moves? (As defense) Who's using them? And if not, why not?

And in anticipation of someone saying that these moves as defense are unnecessary - because you should be attacking (and therefore you're not on defense)...well, yes...

but you're not always going to be attacking; alas, there will be times when defense is an absolute must. :cool:

So again: Where are the moves?

Pacman
03-20-2010, 12:29 AM
good post. WC is concept based, but to say there are no techniques is ludicrous

some people out there are eager to call anything under the sun WC. for example, alan orr's fighters use 0% WC IMO

Vajramusti
03-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Folks have different points of view in wing chun. IMO- speaking for myself-I do wing chun and have been doing it regularly for years- since 1976. Wing chun has served me well and continues to do so.
There are more hand motions than those listed (pak, lop, gum.....etc)The forms are full of them.

In developing (as opposed to sparring or fighting)- developing the body structure properly is important-good yee gee kim yeung ma helps do that both externally and internally.
Lots of single and two hand motions in wing chun.

Each hand motion has it's own characteristics and details in training, and the hands energy comes with training the body.Then one learns to move the body and the hands in a coordinated way through a very rich variety of balanced footwork via chum kiu, biu jee, jong, kwan and do work.
One learns to ADJUST one's motions with timing to other folks through different kinds of chi sao, gor sao, lat sao, sparring- plus possible experience in fighting if it occurs..

The motions of wing chun can be used for defense and offense and related control.. Sometimes the offense can be the defense and sometimes the defense can be the offense.In application the motions will be adjusted in different contexts...and the under trained eye can miss the wing chun.

Prior to contact proximity one can walk or run naturally. After developing good stand up one can bend, roll, shrimp, bridge, jump etc in different contexts.Understanding and using the body structure assists in doing those things.

Wing chun is NOT the only method of self defense-but it is a very effective way.It gets better with practice, usage and time. IMO anyway FWIW.

joy chaudhuri

LoneTiger108
03-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Yes, all of the above.

... Well if this is true, then what are the following wing chun "moves" for?

Pak
bil
tan
garn
bong
lan
chuen
jut
huen
fuk
gum
lop

... So again: Where are the moves?

A neat little list there, and something that can be re-arranged/added to etc. What I would say is remove the tan, bong and fuk (fook) as they are primarily arm alignments and I would go as far as to say they are not 'techniques' as such. To elaborate, you can have a bong pak sau, tan pak sau, fook pak sau and so on. I also refer to these 'positions' as 'seeds' of Wing Chun, from where everything grows.

The list are singular terms that everyone should be familiar with, and IMO they can all be used for attack & defense. Why I say this is because they're all 'neutral' terms. It's only when you interpret the term and form a shape and action which determines what it looks and feels like. And if you're not a WC practitioner the terms may make no sense at all (or in many cases you may have another term for the movement thats specific to that family/style)

So, in short, use everything at your own will. To attack and defend makes little difference to the terms although I'm a believer of learning to defend FIRST!

A frequent saying in the hall I trained at was 'just in case', suggesting that the hand is always there as a neutral seed, and it's the decision to do something with the given seed that determines the term you refer to.

Action or reaction/attack or defence, the singular term is the same.

chusauli
03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
WCK is like a key - if you don't stick it in, it doesn't work. All the movements Victor listed is a hand pass from one to another, or to offset the opponent's balance.

Lee Chiang Po
03-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Each defense technique is a system within itself. Because it is concept based, each of these techniques can have a complete fighting system built behind it.
I liken or compare it to jap jujitsu. I have only about 60 techniques, period. But because it is also based on concepts, each of these techniques have 10 or 12 applications. So it can total up to well over 600 applications. With Wing chun it appears to be an endless number of applications. Just depending upon the situation. By training drills you simply train the body to use the most appropriate technique for the situation at hand without even thinking. If you have to take the time to determine what technique would work best you are going to get hit. You simple determine the appropriate technique to use against a particular attack and drill train that until it is part of your being.
Most people will have a very distinct approach to attack or defend. Depending on their fight training, if they have any. And this will generally lead to your use of a certain technique or system of those techniques more than others, simply because they are more appropriate.
I am thinking I remember reading about a fellow called Tan Sao. Whatever his sir name was. He had a complete system built around tan sao and it was well known.

k gledhill
03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
the concept is attacking as defense....the techniques we use make it possible to deliver unbroken attacking assaults .

If we have an attacking action inbuilt into our every action it makes it possible to do the idea....many many schools teach anything but this...sadly...

by definition, 'sticky hands' is what you will get....stuck sticking to hands...not developing as a fighter , like a boxer, who uses space and timing, movement, hitting bags so they have intuitive judgement for 'hitting' things' and not being a target themselves....

idea is one hand is always attacking

the primary attack cycle...
jum sao 'inwards elbow' strike combo
tan sao 'outwards elbow' strike combo

the reason we use a tan and jum when facing the dummy is we dont know which to use ...it depends on position we are to the guy, which arm is closest to them...closest to them arm [tan] furthest [jum] the energy of the strikes is there regardless of contact with their arms or not....iow we just hit like anyone striking..only we also have the ability to keep the leading strike out and have a defensive line with it...leading to what hand we use to keep the next strike moving in...iow how to make way for the wu attack....movement? let their action clear our required space? use a clearing hand ? follow them to pressure ...?

man sao lead attacking hand [ aka lead, asking or what should I hit you with hand ]

wu sao rear attack making hand....aka the attacking answer to the leads attacking question

Pak .. to clear the path for the strike , to make an attack from wu

bil ... to make a 'strike' action in forms , not really about fingers so much as make a gesture of striking ...like double bil after double jut in SLT...

tan... a strike position using the outside of forearm to slide into strikes , elbow spreads off the line not the hand..tan has nothing to do with the hand, tan doesnt leave the line

garn... low level block from bil gee...a block is always used with the other hand attacking...jum sao.....added to SLT because lowering huen parry midsection didnt go low enough...

bong ... used to recover the attacking line so our rear attack hand 'wu' can make an attack...bong energy moves sharply left or right like a pak energy...to attack from wu

lan ... a way to shove /trap refacing as we flank, like a po-pai push but with elbow/forearm attack. used in conjunction with the hips as CK

chuen ? not sure your word/term

jut.... lead strikes intercepted are cleared with jut ...disrupting stances etc...attacking
primary attack action due to its ability to keep you striking if you miss or not...

huen lowering forearm deflections used as a mid section parry as other hand attacks. in dummy we do huen & jum strikes [many use huen alone as a wristy turn , it should be used with forearm as a midsection parry , why low gaun sao was added, the lowering huen /forearm didnt go as low as gaun sao...] ie someone throws a midsection strike we use the lowering forearm , keeping elbow in, to displace the strikes force as we use a jum strike with natural inward covering energy to take the flank back...done alot in dummy ,many do thsi with ahigh gaun sao losing the jum attacking action, turning it into a double handed defense..no attack!! doesnt work if elbow goes out, so dummy has to be low to make sure you dont open and do 'kao sao' bad thing ; )

fuk pushing elbow inwards/forwards , neutral wrist for developing elbow......SLT kept low to avoid raising the elbows in training, taught as a strike recovery position in drills.
strike make extension, recover back to correct positions of fok centered and ready to attack.

gum. pinning trapping hand allowing rear wu to make an attacking action

lop ..NOT JUT...if the arm intercepted is too strong we re-direct the attack by turning the opponent, requires the stance turns to make a new attack line ...hand and body move as one ..not hand grabs space and moves alone...offline opening up your center..

low kick allows continued attack with no strikes possible.. guy moves at us we kick him.

po-pai to shove the guy back into our strike range, displace structure as we attack into the space we make ...flowing attacks can use strike entry , guy covers up, shove enough to gain strike distance again...lan sao can be this too..

no kwan sao....this is misinterpretation , making a 2 handed response to a single arm...you can do anything ..but if your going to side step a bull no need to make 2 hand parry the horn if its already passing you by...kwan is in dummy as cycling into and out of preceding arms into next attack cycles....ie high jum strike [ not high gaunsao] turns into bong energy 'slap' lower arm...as low gaun [ from slt] cycles back to striking tan [ same idea s slt form tan strike , low gaun, back to tan strike] always having strike with parry...cycle parry becomes strike, , strike becomes parry...

NOW tactically we need to isolate the potential for 2 arms to face us...while we cycle 2 striking arms and a leg at the guy from flanks....we move and position ourselves as they move....adopting side stances to shift and face the sides presented to us...ie a leading jab, a step with right x at us...

we use distances and angles to make our striking attacks work as guided...

all the techniques of the system allow cycling attacking actions iow one hand can always attack....

good cardio for maintaining assault...you need to stop to get your breath :D thats what I wait for...kidding.

the drills make our strikes have an inbuilt safety line so w can starike with little thought for our defensive line...by the angles we cattack from we create naturl intersections of force...if an arm comes into our line of fire , we dont have to chase it.becasue its trying to stop an attacking action....

the common reaction to a fly coming at your face is to swat it...if another kamikaze fly follows the space you make swatting ...your hit...simple idea.

Waiting to do a combo action in a stance then 'chasing flies' makes you the target...subtle shift from being the spider or the fly. this spider has a web of straight lines in front of it..it angles away from your strengths..2 wailing arms, with mobility and a 'sense of position' rather than a requirement to feel your intentions by arm contact...
We on the other hand allow the straight spider web of striking attacks be the 'signals' we require to strike again...but with what ? its instantaneous and unthinking ...from the by-product of so many hours striking. angling. moving and vying for positions.

you gain an intuitive feeling not by contact but from positions, distances, from hitting things we judge our ability to make a good forceful strike or move to gain one or shove them to get one , turn them...face them constantly striking as we attack....

no good punch means its all worthless, stances wobble etc....

Bil Gee is looking at the systems weaknesses or how to recover a bad position, use one arm to chase , recover a grabbed wirst stopping the cycling attacking....etc...how to recover arms lifted by bridging action..how to stay attacking even thought they managed to grab your wrists...

techniques guided by concept...

As Philipp Bayer wrote and Got From WSL , from Yip Man,etc......the systems idea is perfect it is the human factor that gets in the way ...we make the mistakes, we can only hope to achieve 75% of the perfection available. Perfection is a concept too like time....so we go until we die..seeeking perfection.

Ultimatewingchun
03-20-2010, 03:19 PM
good post. WC is concept based, but to say there are no techniques is ludicrous

some people out there are eager to call anything under the sun WC. for example, alan orr's fighters use 0% WC IMO

***WHILE I tend to agree that Alan Orr's guys are using very little wing chun, per se...and especially as it pertains to the subject matter of this thread (wing chun "moves" as defense)....

nonetheless, I see what his guys are trying to do in terms of blasting away while pressuring forward, taking space away, and utilizing (ie.- occupying) the centerline, and in particular, the whole center-of-mass area that the opponent would need in order to launch an effective attack.

So yeah, Alan and his guys are using a version of wing chun that can be classified as such, imo...and it seems to be working for them - until it's time to clinch, or use collar ties and throw knees, and so on. But hey, I do the same thing in the clinch, regardless of what we choose to call it.

As to your other point, pacman...yeah, to say that there are no "techniques" in wing chun is ludicrous.

Ultimatewingchun
03-20-2010, 03:38 PM
"the concept is attacking as defense....the techniques we use make it possible to deliver unbroken attacking assaults .

If we have an attacking action built into our every action it makes it possible to do the idea....many many schools teach anything but this...sadly...

by definition, 'sticky hands' is what you will get....stuck sticking to hands...not developing as a fighter , like a boxer, who uses space and timing, movement, hitting bags so they have intuitive judgement for 'hitting' things' and not being a target themselves....

idea is one hand is always attacking" (kgledhill)

***THIS MAKES GOOD SENSE as a basic summary of what wing chun is trying to do...

but I would also add this: at least one hand is always attacking - sometimes both...in the sense that "wu sao", for example, can also "come out" with your attack with the other hand at times in order to cover all the lines.

Don't necessarily agree with all that Kevin followed with in the rest of his post, about how each of the hands described should be used, but for the most part he's on course, so the actual details about how I might use bong differently, for example, are not that important.

What's important in terms of this thread is the idea that various wing chun moves need to be regarded as actual defense (ie.- blocks, parries, redirects, etc.)...and not just as "concepts"...

Regarded as such - AND USED AS SUCH.

Hendrik
03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
WCK is similar to a style of dance.

Say tango.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6qeQL51ro

Tango has its unique way of focus, move, steps, momentum, beat.....etc.

Those who have complete a fundamental Tango training does all the above when they dance.

So, back to WCK. How many have a complete training?

With that complete training one has the WCK.

With a complete training, everything is a defense and offense; it is not about a single component but a system which make it so.

WCK's theme is flow and not hold and control. Since the art said " comes accept goes return.." and thus, can your WCK flow? if yes, that is the defense and offense. If not then probably you dont do WCK.

dirtyrat
03-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Good point Hendrik.

Two of my favorite kung fu instructors always encouraged us to learn to dance.

Dancing requires you to learn to move in time with your partner. To have a certain harmony. Harmony is the last thing that comes to mind in most when it comes to fighting.

YungChun
03-21-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't see WCK as having a defensive use, at least not alone.. Any defensive move is part of conversion to offense, which to me is offense.. So, IOW even if you are on the defensive, the move is offensive, because it is designed to convert to offense and then becomes an attack..

Also, most all moves in WCK are not optimally used as a single action, so as you do move A, you are also doing move B and even move C... Not always, but often and especially when trying to either convert to offense or maintain the attack and not get behind the timing.

ChiSao done correctly does not teach folks to chase hands and "wrist". Good ChiSao is intended, among other things, to teach us how to make use of the line, take the line and strike/attack using the line when conditions permit.. We learn how to create those conditions which give us the line in order to attack, eg, strike, over and over..

YungChun
03-21-2010, 01:18 AM
nonetheless, I see what his guys are trying to do in terms of blasting away while pressuring forward, taking space away, and utilizing (ie.- occupying) the centerline, and in particular, the whole center-of-mass area that the opponent would need in order to launch an effective attack.

A very generous assessment and interpretation of the use of the tools and tactics of WCK.:p:o

Ultimatewingchun
03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I must be getting mellow in my old age...LOL :D

LSWCTN1
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=k gledhill;1000725]bong ... used to recover the attacking line so our rear attack hand 'wu' can make an attack...bong energy moves sharply left or right like a pak energy...to attack from wu

or it can be, as i am taught, very similar to 2.34? here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCEIPaI5KY&feature=PlayList&p=498D43E460EE2620&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

Or something i have been trying to play with recently, facing with a fist on the end

k gledhill
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
link is hung gar killing hands ?

Hendrik
03-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a question for you all.

Say you were hug on the waist level from front. what do you do with your WCK to dissolve the situation?

k gledhill
03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
to many variables to hypothesize ....what was I doing just before the hug ? :D is it a bad hug or a good hug and from who ? what time of day ? am I in a good mood a bad mood ?....have i got a knife /gun in my holster ? tazer...cs gas.....glass/ glass of beer in hand , bottle of becks ...up against a wall, staircase....get my drift ? witnesses , alone with would be 'hugger' ?

A lot of 'reality' is opportunistic in how you resolve things, whats around you, where you are...etc....

silly question Hendrik ask another ;)

Ultimatewingchun
03-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not doing anything with my wing chun to get out of a front bear hug...it's too late for wing chun, per se. But there are other moves I might use at that moment that come from elsewhere.

Interesting question, though...because in William Cheung's TWC there is a pretty good defense against a rear bear hug that comes right out of the advanced SLT form.

Hendrik
03-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm not doing anything with my wing chun to get out of a front bear hug...it's too late for wing chun, per se. But there are other moves I might use at that moment that come from elsewhere.

Interesting question, though...because in William Cheung's TWC there is a pretty good defense against a rear bear hug that comes right out of the advanced SLT form.

Thanks for sharing your view.

For me, this is a question related to WCK's deliver inch force strike at the hug.. because every part of WCner suppose to be able to deliver strike...etc and body is as good as any other part of the body to deliver.

The bottom line of WCK's defense, strike with any part of the body at any time.

Just some thoughts.

Xin quan
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Forgive me if this sounds too esoteric.

Wing chun doesn't have attack or defense. It has Wing Chun. They are the same.
A Bong is a bong, a jum is a jum, just as gon, pak, and tok are what they are.

They may be used in the manner that the individual wishes according to the situation.

Maybe I don't understand the question.

HumbleWCGuy
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Wing Chun defense should be about these two things irrespective of technique

Footwork to put yourself in a position to counter attack

A mindset that you aren't going to let the opponent tee off in terms of volume of techniques or power.

anerlich
03-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Say you were hug on the waist level from front. what do you do with your WCK to dissolve the situation?

if you have space in the right places:

Two pak saos on the chin and push/twist his chin away as you move your hips away.

or

Two Pak saos on the hips and move your hips away.

If you don't have that space:

Get ready to use your WC groundfighting, because that's where you're going.

You can poke the eyes or throat with your deadly bil jee fingers, unless the guy knows how to protect these in the hug, which is not all that difficult.

Forgive me if this sounds too esoteric.

You're forgiven.

LSWCTN1
03-22-2010, 01:59 AM
link is hung gar killing hands ?

thats the one!

at 2.34? he's using the bong to dissipate the energy and the twist in his horse on the return to generate power.

i have been told in the past that bong sau ALWAYS turns. although i'm not sure about the truth of this in EVERY situation, but IME it certainly does more than it doesnt.

LSWCTN1
03-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks for sharing your view.

For me, this is a question related to WCK's deliver inch force strike at the hug.. because every part of WCner suppose to be able to deliver strike...etc and body is as good as any other part of the body to deliver.

The bottom line of WCK's defense, strike with any part of the body at any time.

Just some thoughts.

do you think this was good wing chun then?

'inch' power?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8570398.stm

just kidding :D

k gledhill
03-22-2010, 04:08 AM
thats the one!

at 2.34? he's using the bong to dissipate the energy and the twist in his horse on the return to generate power.

i have been told in the past that bong sau ALWAYS turns. although i'm not sure about the truth of this in EVERY situation, but IME it certainly does more than it doesnt.

We only turn to face our attacking line ...bong for US is a fast action, with ballistic , displacing force ....like pak sao it 'slaps' arms out of the way alone then the elbow drops , fast...if the arm we slap doesn't move we use lop sao.... if it moves we have an opening to strike into...

like a boxer raising his forearm/elbow to parry a punch coming over his arm....we do the action to 'clear' a space and strike , attacking.

Bong can be used moving towards the opponent, or sideways attacking/following from flanks, because its ballistic energy transfer puts the line of energy we move ...past us and to the side of our heads /bodies as we go forwards or sideways...

we displace energy 'from' our centerlines using ballistic force ...pak energy stops suddenly at our centerlines to displace arms so it can hit from the centerline, our arm doesnt x the line...jums energy is the same , to the line and forwards ...bongsaos forearm is crossing the cenrerline in the middle of the raised forearm....using the forearm like pak sao....left to right or right to left, depending what flank your on or arm you redirect...as you face attacking.

some try to 'jam' with bong, wrong thinking...because the idea is to strike attack immediately...so elbows lower asap as chi-sao drills to become a strike...cycling.

lan sao is a jam.

bong 'thinking has no fixed level iow we can do a bong depending on the height relationship of the arms ...low high middle all one bong idea...so whatever level your arm is relative to their incoming line that has xed your arms strike path...

each action we do helps maintain a closed flank attack...iow an outside edge strike <[tan] an inside edge strike following<[jum] a bong <moving the energy in the direction to follow the leading strikes to further shut down recovery to face us...pak sao <in the same direction or

the guy shifts and moves the other direction and all the energy we produce in our techniques goes >>>>> strike strike bong pak etc....> he moves to the other side of our line and we dont chase with arms , we turn ourselves and our centerline to reface and change the energy in our techniques to <<<<<<

this why we develop striking at a basic level with 2 energies ...forwards and dsplacing from outside or inside the forearms..the ballistic energy produced from fast strikes with elbows leaving as tan or staying as jum can generate the displacing force of a pak sao...as it strikes forwards at the same time....each arm has tan/jum built into it as energy...rather than a 'pose or 1/2 measure....sure we can do anything and use them as blocks ..but once you see the attacking ability you now have why go slower why use more than you have to to get the job done ....economy of motion.

Ultimatewingchun
03-22-2010, 04:52 AM
"i have been told in the past that bong sau ALWAYS turns. although i'm not sure about the truth of this in EVERY situation, but IME it certainly does more than it doesnt." (LSWCTN1)

***YES, you need to turn with bong sao in order to generate enough power to deflect the oncoming blow and provide yourself with the space you need to turn this into offense....so come into his space and turn when using bong sao.

"some try to 'jam' with bong, wrong thinking...because the idea is to strike attack immediately...so elbows lower asap as chi-sao drills to become a strike...cycling.

lan sao is a jam." (k gledhill)

***DISAGREE...bong sao (deflecting) can easily become lan sao (jamming) - and often will - depending upon how the opponent reacts to the bong sao.

YungChun
03-22-2010, 05:44 AM
If from in contact, then Bong as I use it, deals with energy crossing/leaving the line, so a quick bong snap is all that is needed to help them leave, clearing that line, again for our attack.

Very little, if any, turning needed for that use of the bong. I don't normally turn away from the line..

LSWCTN1
03-22-2010, 06:31 AM
bong 'thinking has no fixed level iow we can do a bong depending on the height relationship of the arms ...low high middle all one bong idea...so whatever level your arm is relative to their incoming line that has xed your arms strike path...

its similar to the hacking elbows from chum kui in a way. you allow the strike to run by you. you use the bog as the cover and the turn on the way theremoves you to a flank. then the opposite rotation creates a LOT of power.

"i have been told in the past that bong sau ALWAYS turns. although i'm not sure about the truth of this in EVERY situation, but IME it certainly does more than it doesnt." (LSWCTN1)

***YES, you need to turn with bong sao in order to generate enough power to deflect the oncoming blow and provide yourself with the space you need to turn this into offense....so come into his space and turn when using bong sao.

"some try to 'jam' with bong, wrong thinking...because the idea is to strike attack immediately...so elbows lower asap as chi-sao drills to become a strike...cycling.

lan sao is a jam." (k gledhill)

***DISAGREE...bong sao (deflecting) can easily become lan sao (jamming) - and often will - depending upon how the opponent reacts to the bong sao.

a la Duncan Leung

If from in contact, then Bong as I use it, deals with energy crossing/leaving the line, so a quick bong snap is all that is needed to help them leave, clearing that line, again for our attack.

Very little, if any, turning needed for that use of the bong. I don't normally turn away from the line..

all of these points, though different, are legitimate.

can you make what you are taught work for you? if you can then you are 90% there.

i used to learn a bong with wrist at throat level, fingers towards opponent, and elbow at eye level. it deflects a punch extremely well.

i saw a William Cheung clip where he grabs the hand pointing towards him and turns it up. i had to change it slightly (thats where i got my idea of a 'punching' bong because at the elbow level the hand still needs to go forward).

i started with my present instructor and was shown why bong is only for a certain 'level' and how the elbow NEVER goes higher than the shoulder.

90% of the time it should work like that. but i dont want the remaining 10% to ever be a factor.

grasshopper 2.0
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I would say you learn the moves to learn the function. Once the function is achieved, the "form" isn't required any more, so that on appearance, you don't need tan, bong, etc. but on a functional level, tan, bong etc. are all there although, from a 3rd party observer, it may appear as if it was never there.

Yes, all of the above.

Good, now that we've got that out of the way, here's what I'm really getting at...Many people in the wing chun world talk about the art being concept based, and therefore there are no specific techniques to be used in any given situation - including while on defense. Because the art is "concept" based...not "technique" based.

We've all heard this, right?

Well if this is true, then what are the following wing chun "moves" for?

Pak
bil
tan
garn
bong
lan
chuen
jut
huen
fuk
gum
lop

Now I'm purposely not going to get into (not now, anyway)....how bong can be (or should be) used against this, how pak can be (or should be) used against that, or how bil, (or bil/lop) as defense can be (or should be) used against something else, etc...

but rather, I'm throwing this out to the forum:

If such ideas about how to use various wing chun moves aren't valid as defense (or as part of one's wing chun defensive maneuvers)...in addition to outright "avoidance" as defense (via footwork and angling)...

if such ideas about the above moves aren't valid when it comes to a blocking or redirecting type of defense...

then what are the above moves actually for?

Now Yes, I realize that moves like lop, and lan, and one or two others that have been mentioned can be used as part of offense...

but all of the moves mentioned above can be part of one's wing chun defense, ime. And in specific situations, imo, as opposed to other "specific" situations wherein using A would make no sense against that uppercut...but using B would make sense, for example.

But where are the moves? Where is the defense? Do you use them?

If not, why bother learning them? If you don't use them, (and assuming that you do spar/fight, whatever)...then what's the reason why you don't (or can't) use them?

Some people might say that if you extend your arm out as part of a defensive manuever you are exposing yourself to getting hit - and at certain distances this is true, imo...but at other distances this objection makes no sense to me whatsoever.

But where are the moves? (As defense) Who's using them? And if not, why not?

And in anticipation of someone saying that these moves as defense are unnecessary - because you should be attacking (and therefore you're not on defense)...well, yes...

but you're not always going to be attacking; alas, there will be times when defense is an absolute must. :cool:

So again: Where are the moves?

k gledhill
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
turning with bong is done only to face the direction your attacking, not to turn force...if you miss the 'force' you will understand this ...your now turned and they arent :D

bong can become lan but lan is not bong structure... bong is a lateral displacing force left or right to your centerline...using the hips etc..as CK

lan sao is a bar/rigid using the hips as CK , lan is lower than shoulders to pin arms, use force of elbow to turn opponent...like po-pai energy to shove back into attack distances.

we use bong as chi-sao ...if a strike comes over the arms strike path we can make an attack with bong /wu and recover the bridge by sinking theirs underneath ours again....

turning bong to redirect energy is a chi-sao thing ...