PDA

View Full Version : Hu Xi Lin / Northern Mantis Footage

Three Harmonies
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Here is some footage (http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2010/03/hu-xi-lin-footage-northern-mantis.html) I have compiled of Hu Xi Lin demoing various techniques and weapons from Northern Mantis. This is at least all the footage I know of on line.

Enjoy,
Jake

5thBrother
03-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Nice :)

Thanks for Sharing

Michael Dasargo
04-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Friggin Awesome. I'd love to see what you did with your transitions from standup tactics to BJJ.

Three Harmonies
04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Hey Mike, how hangs it?

To be brutally honest the addition of a gi is a much bigger deal than most make it out to be. Sure in general we can say grips are similar with and without a gi, but the way in which one is manipulated it totally different.
My grappling game in Mantis is predicated upon integrating it with striking. This makes throwing A LOT easier because you can use strikes to unbalance your opponent and that is 95% of the throw right there!

In BJJ I cannot strike. To be honest it was just two weeks ago I nailed my first "clean" throw in BJJ competition! I thought it was a nice hip throw until I watched the tape. Needs LOTS of work.

So to answer your question it has been like starting over from scratch in terms of Mantis and BJJ combined. Though principles remain the same, approach, set up, and often execution differ significantly. The addition of a gi (any uniform that can be grabbed) must be respected.

Cheers
Jake :D

Michael Dasargo
04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Chillin like a tingjin feelin villain. How things up in Seattle?

I feel what you mean about the jacket work. My first shuai chiao sparring session was in the SD regional competition (no sparring partners at my place). Jackets CHANGE THE GAME! In any case, keep kickin ass bro. It's nice to see martial artist focusing on martial arts, rather than style pride.

Keep on mang,
Mike D.

Three Harmonies
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Mike
Not sure, I am in LALA land this week.
Styles shmyles... all I care about is challenging myself and training. Always remember.. die living!

Cheers
J

notanexit
04-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Those seminars were good times.One of the few times I got to train real kung fu in person.The set up into the foot sweeps is the thing a remember the most.You try to block or dodge his strike then you're on the ground.