PDA

View Full Version : Best Wooden Dummy Available?

TAO YIN
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Hello,

As above more or less...Where is the best place to buy an excellent dummy that will take lots of abuse? Are there any places online that you would recommend? Where is the best place to buy the strongest dummy? I am saving up for one and couldn't be bothered to make one. How much will an excellent one cost?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tao

Vajramusti
03-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello,

As above more or less...Where is the best place to buy an excellent dummy that will take lots of abuse? Are there any places online that you would recommend? Where is the best place to buy the strongest dummy? I am saving up for one and couldn't be bothered to make one. How much will an excellent one cost?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check into:

little-raven.com

She makes superb well mad e jong-s- but her table is often full. She is also a very good wing chun stylist. She knows what a good jong should be but she can also adjust to other preferences. Phil and I know another person in Michigan(?) who makes pretty good dummies.

joy chaudhuri

SAAMAG
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I've always used Clark Thornton at Great Lion Co. But now he no longer makes them of entirely of wood. Now the body is PVC, the arms are oak, and the legs (it has 3) are steel.

Everything wing chun has some dummies where you can see the actual dummy you'd be purchasing. Aaron keeps in good contact with you should you have any concerns.

I'd trust Joy and Phil though in their choices. Phil also has a lead on a dummy from overseas that's more modern in materials and design. You might want to PM him about it.

Overall though...most MYJ's are in the 600-800 range. Some are as low as 500 and some are over a grand (USD).

LSWCTN1
03-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Mark Hobbs' Pagoda MYJ's are meant to be very good

Bully
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Cameron Charles @ http://www.ttwdc.co.uk/

If you are in the Uk or nearby.

Awesome, got a dummy from him, he offers a very personal service and the craftmanship is alot better than any other dummy I have come across so far.

He even crated it up and delivered it to Portsmouth for shipping.

Dale Dugas
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Clark made me a great pvc dummy with cocobolo arms in a wider configuration than WC. takes a beating and keeps on coming back for more.

Almost A Ghost
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I managed to get a Clark Thornton Wooden Dummy right before he stopped using wood for the bodies. If you come across somebody selling a used one, I suggest you pick it up ASAP.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I need to get a new dummy myself.
Got get one locally though or the S&H kills me !

SAAMAG
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I managed to get a Clark Thornton Wooden Dummy right before he stopped using wood for the bodies. If you come across somebody selling a used one, I suggest you pick it up ASAP.

I'm still steamed that I sold mine. I never thought that Clark would stop making the wooden bodies...

Justinrohrman
03-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm still steamed that I sold mine. I never thought that Clark would stop making the wooden bodies...

After making my own last year I can understand why. It's such a pain to drill through the wooden body, and I only oak for my body.

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Unless you have a radial drill or some sort of automatic drilling set-up, it is a horrid pain !

chusauli
12-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Mark Hobbs' Jong's are made in Vietnam, based on Koo Sang's design. It feels just like my Sifu's style of Jong. I think they are the best.

IMO, PVC may be a cheap substitute but is subject to cracks and collapse, once a person hits it full power. A visiting FMA guy had a PVC Jong in his Uncle's back yard and asked me to demo the set on it last year. I accidently destroyed it, because I am so used to working my wood Jong. In my opinion, the PVC is a joke.

KPM
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
IMO, PVC may be a cheap substitute but is subject to cracks and collapse, once a person hits it full power. A visiting FMA guy had a PVC Jong in his Uncle's back yard and asked me to demo the set on it last year. I accidently destroyed it, because I am so used to working my wood Jong. In my opinion, the PVC is a joke.

Hi Robert!

I think it likely depends on the thickness of the PVC. The one you destroyed may have been relatively thin. I have one of these (Wing Chun version of course), and really like it:

http://www.thewarrior.com/warriors/lee_wing.htm

The core is PVC, but pretty thick. The padded covering means that I can work it harder than I used to work my wooden dummy, and so far it has held up fine. Since it is attached to a weighted base, there really is no problem with the weight difference between a wooden trunk and a PVC trunk. Another feature I like as compare to the frame-mount method......I can apply pressure and force into the dummy and slide it around on the floor to simulate stepping into an opponent and breaking his structure. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't slide easily! :)

couch
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Robert!

I think it likely depends on the thickness of the PVC. The one you destroyed may have been relatively thin. I have one of these (Wing Chun version of course), and really like it:

http://www.thewarrior.com/warriors/lee_wing.htm

The core is PVC, but pretty thick. The padded covering means that I can work it harder than I used to work my wooden dummy, and so far it has held up fine. Since it is attached to a weighted base, there really is no problem with the weight difference between a wooden trunk and a PVC trunk. Another feature I like as compare to the frame-mount method......I can apply pressure and force into the dummy and slide it around on the floor to simulate stepping into an opponent and breaking his structure. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't slide easily! :)

I'm crap at construkshun, so I bought one of those dummies. I got the one with the water base and I love it.

YouKnowWho
12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Where is the best place to buy an excellent dummy that will take lots of abuse?

One day I found a telephone pole on the ground, I took it home and made a WC dummy myself. I added strong spring to the arms. It works much better than those comercial wooden dummy IMO.

chusauli
12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
One day I found a telephone pole on the ground, I took it home and made a WC dummy myself. I added strong spring to the arms. It works much better than those comercial wooden dummy IMO.

Welcome to the world of toxins. For you who may have "found" a telephone pole, please consider:

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/wood/pubs/poisonpoles/intro.html

http://www.toxictortlitigationblog.com/2009/11/articles/clean-water-act/toxic-telephone-poles/

http://www.ehow.com/list_6825513_epa-telephone-pole-disposal-regulations.html

It'll save you more money to buy a commercial one rather than exposing yourself to toxins.

YouKnowWho
12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Good information. Thanks!

SifuLMDII
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Clark Thornton makes a wooden mook jong that is a bit different in design from any other I have seen. I own one of these and it is absolutely awesome!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/Sifu_LMD_II/DSCN1734.jpg

As far as I know, he is still making these, and for what you get, the cost is quite reasonable!

KPM
12-23-2010, 06:41 PM
That is pretty unique! It looks like the trunk is fashioned from multiple discs of wood stacked on top of each other. The "edge on" result would be alike a kitchen cutting board...very strong. I'm not sure why you would need a MYJ trunk that strong, but hey...it is unique! :)

caesjong
03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
checkout my jong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8JvDG2Ods

made a few, also listed on CL philly.

thanks

bennyvt
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I made one out of a pole. As robert said make sure its not treated. The top picture looks like the surface is completly round. normally it has heaps of faces or flat bits 1-2mm wide as this gives the dummy a rough surface so its not just flat and your hand just slips off.

Phil Redmond
03-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Clark Thornton makes a wooden mook jong that is a bit different in design from any other I have seen. I own one of these and it is absolutely awesome!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/Sifu_LMD_II/DSCN1734.jpg

As far as I know, he is still making these, and for what you get, the cost is quite reasonable!
Nice jong and I like the arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpn9iIYpjI

bennyvt
03-06-2011, 01:49 AM
does the leg look like its at the right angle. looks alittle horizontal.

trubblman
03-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I have a dummy. It used to be on a freestanding frame in my apartment. Now that I have moved I want to mount in on the wall. Any good designs? How has everyone mounted his or her dummy? Any good plans or one I can buy? Thanks.

TenTigers
03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
out of curiosity, I had heard that a jong needs to be made out of a single trunk of wood, and that it enables it to have a certain resonance that pvc, composites, or that stacked discs of wood jong would not have. Vibrations from striking are absorbed back into the body, and a jong that does not resonate would-I don't know, what? Resonate incorrectly? Not that there isn't a such thing as different resonation from different woods-that's why honduras mahogany, brazillian rosewood,swamp ash, alder, etc are chosen for guitars. Each wood resonates, responds, breathes differently and affects tone, sustain, etc.

trubblman
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
From my understanding wood laminates resist cracking better than a solid dummy.

Phil Redmond
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a dummy. It used to be on a freestanding frame in my apartment. Now that I have moved I want to mount in on the wall. Any good designs? How has everyone mounted his or her dummy? Any good plans or one I can buy? Thanks.
Well one on my Sifu suggested something he did in HK so that he wouldn't damage his rented apartment.
I did the same in NYC. First you take a measurement from the floor to the ceiling along a wall. Then you get two 4x4s cut to that measurement. The idea is to wedge each 4x4 between the ceiling and the floor at the proper distance apart to mount the slats.
If you have carpet you don't need to worry to much about the floor. If you have any other type of floor you should place a small piece of carpet down.
You'll also need to wedge a piece of carpet between the 4x4 and the ceiling so you won't damage the ceiling.
Of course you'll have to add the carpet thickness into the measurement. You first wedge the 4x4 against the ceiling then use a mallet or something to knock the bottom against the wall. If you measurement is too long you may have to plane the 4x4. If it's a little short all you'll need to do is add a shiv(sp)? between the floor and the 4x4. Once that is done you'll need some 2x2s drilled into the 4x4s to make 4 mounts to accommodate the slats.The 2x4s will also keep the tenons of the arms and legs from touching the wall. I hope I explained that right.
Anyway, I like this method because I don't damage the apartment and can get my deposit back when I move.

RedJunkRebel
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Well one on my Sifu suggested something he did in HK so that he wouldn't damage his rented apartment.
I did the same in NYC. First you take a measurement from the floor to the ceiling along a wall. Then you get two 4x4s cut to that measurement. The idea is to wedge each 4x4 between the ceiling and the floor at the proper distance apart to mount the slats.
If you have carpet you don't need to worry to much about the floor. If you have any other type of floor you should place a small piece of carpet down.
You'll also need to wedge a piece of carpet between the 4x4 and the ceiling so you won't damage the ceiling.
Of course you'll have to add the carpet thickness into the measurement. You first wedge the 4x4 against the ceiling then use a mallet or something to knock the bottom against the wall. If you measurement is too long you may have to plane the 4x4. If it's a little short all you'll need to do is add a shiv(sp)? between the floor and the 4x4. Once that is done you'll need some 2x2s drilled into the 4x4s to make 4 mounts to accommodate the slats.The 2x4s will also keep the tenons of the arms and legs from touching the wall. I hope I explained that right.
Anyway, I like this method because I don't damage the apartment and can get my deposit back when I move.

Thanks Phil. I was trying to convince someone to get a jong last night but he was saying how difficult it would be because he lives in an apartment. Hopefully this will work for him.

TenTigers
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
you can also build a platform, using 4x4's for the framework, plywood for the floor and build the uprights into it.

Almost A Ghost
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
You could always go with a movable dummy stand that uses weights to keep it in place.

Phil Redmond
03-15-2011, 12:00 AM
you can also build a platform, using 4x4's for the framework, plywood for the floor and build the uprights into it.
Yep, but it'll take up more room in a tiny NYC apartment than one against the wall.
Plus, you can beat the crap out of a wall mounted dummy. :)

wingtsun85
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Hello to all my Kung Fu Brothers! I'm new to this forum, so nice to meet you all. :) I have practiced on several different wooden dummies, and decided that I needed to purchase one of my own. I researched for over a month on the specifics of the wooden dummies that are out there, and decided to purchase one from www.shaolinhouse.com. They have reasonable prices, and offer the Wing Chun Dummy in a few different specifications, including free-standing, frame-mounted, and JKD ones as well. You can order it in 8 different colors, and three different woods. Mine is extremely strong, and is the best wooden dummy I've practiced on. A few unique features is that you can simply rotate one of the arms 180 degrees to make the arms level. If you want the traditional, off-set arms, you simply rotate it back. Also, the leg of the dummy has a special "knee-cap" for "target practice". The guy who makes them, Eric, is very good about letting you know the process. He'll give you his cell # and email, and you can call him anytime.

Phil Redmond
03-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Hello to all my Kung Fu Brothers! I'm new to this forum, so nice to meet you all. :) I have practiced on several different wooden dummies, and decided that I needed to purchase one of my own. I researched for over a month on the specifics of the wooden dummies that are out there, and decided to purchase one from www.shaolinhouse.com. They have reasonable prices, and offer the Wing Chun Dummy in a few different specifications, including free-standing, frame-mounted, and JKD ones as well. You can order it in 8 different colors, and three different woods. Mine is extremely strong, and is the best wooden dummy I've practiced on. A few unique features is that you can simply rotate one of the arms 180 degrees to make the arms level. If you want the traditional, off-set arms, you simply rotate it back. Also, the leg of the dummy has a special "knee-cap" for "target practice". The guy who makes them, Eric, is very good about letting you know the process. He'll give you his cell # and email, and you can call him anytime.
Thanks for the link. His dummies look good.

topwoodendummy
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check into:

little-raven.com

She makes superb well mad e jong-s- but her table is often full. She is also a very good wing chun stylist. She knows what a good jong should be but she can also adjust to other preferences. Phil and I know another person in Michigan(?) who makes pretty good dummies.

joy chaudhuri

No BEST WOODEN DUMMY available in the world, Just find a best for you.

wingchunIan
04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Mark Hobbs' Pagoda MYJ's are meant to be very good

If you are thinking of buying a dummy from Pagoda I would advise you not to bother. In my ever so humble opinion their cutomer service is the worst I have ever experienced and the product quality really isn't very good.

caesjong
04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
checkout my jongs:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/2316598995.html

Caesjong1@gmail.com

Sihing73
04-23-2011, 03:01 PM
checkout my jongs:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/2316598995.html

Caesjong1@gmail.com

Caesjong,

What is your lineage? Who do you train with in Philly?

FWIW, your jongs seem rather expensive, especially when compared to those already being marketed by well known and established WC practicianers. Not saying they are not worth it, but there needs to be a reason to select your jongs over others.

Also, I notice that you only post here to promote your jongs for sale. There are no other posts from you so I am led to assume that you may be spamming just to make sales. I am happy to be proven wrong, if that is the case, but this is how it seems to me.

Phil Redmond
04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
No one should have to pay $1800 for a dummy unless it's a Koo Sang heirloom.

topwoodendummy
05-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Best dummy is depending on you using right money to buy right dummy, no best dummy at all in this world.

wingchunmaster
05-16-2011, 01:10 AM
I brought my wooden dummy from www.ulti-mate-wooden-dummies.co.uk it was a great piece of kit and the quality was perfect. the servoce was also goo too. if you are looking to buy a quality dummy then i suggest you go to these guys as they have quite a dummy range too.

WC Master

wtxs
05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
[B]Best dummy is depending on you using right money to buy right dummy, no best dummy at all in this world.

Here ... let me fix that

The BEST dummy in this whole world is the one you can afford.:D