PDA

View Full Version : korean mantis

jhayes
05-23-2000, 07:29 PM
Looking for past students of master park chi mun. He teaches in tongdushon korea.

05-23-2000, 09:56 PM
Plum flower mantis?

jhayes
05-24-2000, 01:04 PM
yes the style taught by master park is plum flower, and alittle seven star.

Metal Fist
05-24-2000, 05:58 PM
I am not a past student of Master Park, but my instructor was, he was stationed in Korea for several years and learned Plum Flower Mantis while there. His name is Dalton "David" Davis. I have not seen him in 5 years, he went Thailand to work after retiring from Army. If I can be of further assistance let me know. I also know that Roger Hagood(of Southern Mantis fame) also learned from Master Park while he was in Korea in the Army.

------------------
"Do whatever it takes to be the last man standing!"

jhayes
05-25-2000, 06:31 AM
mr davis is living in san fransisco area now I dont have phone or address but He recently contacted me in order to get in touch with master park.

Metal Fist
05-25-2000, 09:04 PM
jahyes, if "David" contacts you again please get his ph. number please and email it to me if you will. Chiman@outerrim.com

------------------

Metal Fist
05-29-2000, 06:52 PM
jhayes, thanks for geeting me Dalton's ph. no. He emailed me and I hope to call him soon. Thanks again.

------------------

jhayes
05-29-2000, 08:01 PM
no problem metal fist, glad to help you. I have also helped master park get in touch with mr. davis maybe someday i will be able to meet him.

bamboo_ leaf
06-02-2000, 01:19 AM
Thanks to all for helping Master Park and myself conect.

Master Park is currently contacting all his older students in the hopes of conectting them togeather so that they may share and improve thier kung fu.

Talking to him and some of my old classmates really brought back many good memouies.

If I may be of service please contact me here or by e-mail.

again thanks to all.

------------------
enjoy life

bamboo leaf

mantisenator
08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
sorry if bringing back a thread this old is frowned upon around here. I trained with master park from 2003-2005 and I'd definitely like to find some of his other students. if anyone above is still on these forums, I'd like to hear from you.

MasterKiller
08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey,
We had a big discussion about this on EmptyFlower. Maybe you should post over there. There's a couple of Park students.

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi

John Takeshi
08-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Why do you guys think that Korean mantis is weaker than Sevenstar? Is it the geographical differences, or do you guys just not punch as hard?

mantisenator
08-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I've always thought the opposite. Master Park always taught power in all of our techniques. I view plum flower as the more powerful and seven star as the quicker.

also, thank you for that link!

John Takeshi
08-26-2007, 02:00 AM
That's interesting. I've always thought, however, that the taekwondo influences on Plum Flower (note: only Korean versions, not Chinese or Japanese) stripped the style of its true root and power. The rampant use of the flamingo stance in Korean Mei Hua Mantis is just ridiculous.

No offence intended. I just have a strong opinion on Korean martial arts, and most Korean things. And I'm not overly fond of Koreans, either. They treated my father like a dog in the last war.

MasterKiller
08-26-2007, 07:42 AM
mantisenator,
Takeshi is a troll trying to cause trouble. Pay no attention to him.