PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo toughs guys, and those who think they know it all (vent)...

Polaris
10-29-2001, 08:58 AM
Are starting to **** me off. I have been encountering this too much lately both here and other places. Couple of many examples: Today at school there was a kid who graduated last year, and is now a marine. He thinks he is a real badass, and was running his mouth about how he learned to rip someone's larnyx out, KO them, kill them, how he supposedly beat some guy down, how he could easily destroy a boxer, how he feels invincible (yes he said that), and how they learn all or some of all MA styles in bootcamp (yeah 100's of styles in three months). :rolleyes: I would like to have fought him. Another example, a school teacher of mine seems to think she can really defend herself because she knows some "self-defense" and practices it with her family. She seriously thinks she can take someone out just by sweeping them. Even if she could get them down (which I have my doubts about her even being able to get that far) what is she going to do then?

While I'm at it I may as well mention a couple other things:
1. People that I've seen wearing "Miletich Martial Arts" shirts, when they don't train there. Atleast I've never seen them. Coincidence?
I highly doubt it. If they come there I almost certainly would have seen them by now.

2. People who take kickboxing/muay thai strictly for exercise, especially when there is an aerobics/cardio kickboxing class right down the hall.

joedoe
10-29-2001, 09:02 AM
Yeah, my GF's sister is about 3 months into her karate training and is convinced she can now handle a fight situation. I really hope her school teaches her the difference between point sparring and real life before she gets into a situation. Otherwise I will have to point it out and I really don't want to do that.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Johnny Hot Shot
10-29-2001, 09:17 AM
If you want real life self defence for todays world, buy a gun and learn how to use it.

Anything else is... Welcome to Kung Fu online ;)

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Gatekeeper
10-29-2001, 09:17 AM
Polaris... I hear you. It's like these people where the logos as suits of armor that say "don't phuk with me, I'm a bad a$$". Whether or not they do practice a martial skill, I think it's just plain silly. When walking down the street, I for one do not wish to advertise my skill. I'd much rather prefer to suprise with it.

I am the TROLL SLAYING KEMPO MONSTER! It's feeding time.

Ryu
10-29-2001, 10:30 AM
:confused:

What am I doing wrong? I practice BJJ, judo, done some wrestling, got a JKD instructorship, a self-defense instructorship, and have been in real life fights.

And I still don't think I'm a bad ass!! :(
In fact, I think fighting is unpredictable, and you never know who can kick your butt.

What's my problem? I think I need my money back.

;)

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Can-O-Bud
10-29-2001, 10:38 AM
Good point Gatekeeper.

I've sometimes mentioned to workmates that I do MA but usually end up being the subject of jokes.

I find training a very personal thing, so now I just keep it to myself.

The element of suprise is always a good tool to have.

"You pour water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You pour water into a bottle it becomes the bottle. You pour Whisky into me I become a teapot."

straight blast
10-29-2001, 01:07 PM
You get that a lot here in Rednecksville. Big Fat Porky middle-aged washed-up beer-gutted pudgy jowled asswipes with "LA Boxing Club" or "Muay Thai Australia Knob Jockey Society" or some such crap. And they think that once they buy the shirt, that they are baaaaaaaaad assssssssss.
In absolute honesty (& I swear this is true) there's a try hard would be boxer/kickboxer (who has RUN from the ring twice) here who had himself made a title belt!!! It is SO poxy.
Screw 'em all! :D

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

brassmonkey
10-29-2001, 01:25 PM
"She seriously thinks she can take someone out just by sweeping them"

There's some Shui Chiao guys who would agree with this. Of course you'd wanna tie up theyre arm so they can't break fall.

wooha
10-29-2001, 01:29 PM
Ok, here's a question.

Do any of you list martial arts in your 'other interests' section of you CVs/Resumes?

Some employers like to know that you're actually an interesting person and get up to things other than what you do for a living.

I listed it on my CV and it has lead to some colleagues going on about it and asking me about my training all the time. Most of the time I try to avoid advertising the fact that I train.

Kung Lek
10-29-2001, 01:39 PM
Pseudo...?? Why I oughtta kick yer... Oh wait never mind.

Yes these types of folks are everywhere. But so are flaky hippy dippy peace and love Buddha fairies. I can't decide which is more irritating really. No glasses or rose tinted ones :D

Seriouly though, what does it matter to you? Live and let live, train to the best of your ability and let the dreamers dream.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ish
10-29-2001, 01:47 PM
I could take someone out with a sweeping brush

Wongsifu
10-29-2001, 04:55 PM
you know ryu is rite its so unpredicatable you never know what could happen , but i guess the better you get the more confident you know mistakes wont happen....

but ryu is a badass im sure , oh no wait thas kimura's picture in my head... :D
just kidding buddy

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Sharky
10-29-2001, 05:00 PM
i'll school your girlfriend for you - if you want?

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

shaolinboxer
10-29-2001, 05:12 PM
Yes, these types of people are annoying, but they are useful for you mental training. If you can get along with them and train with them, you will be stronger.

If this military dude thinks he's a super ninja, treat him like one and ask him to teach you. I bet he knows a few tricks you don't, and perhaps once you trust one another you can have a training partner who you can trade hard but reasonable falls and blows (which is sometimes hard to find).

If this woman is interested in self defense, be encouraging and help her learn more. It's not enough to think someone is filling their heads with crap, you should try to guide them to a healthy alternative.

My cent and a half.

MonkeySlap Too
10-29-2001, 08:53 PM
I'm with Lyle. Although I would probably mess with the marine tough guy a little in an 'innocent' way.

As far as people who kickbox or play muay thai for exercise - great. They keep the lights on at the gym. A certain percentage will 'turn' and become players. The rest of 'em, heck be nice to them. There are other things in life besides martial arts and you may need to know that person.

Just train. I can understand the frustration - it is hard to find real nutcases to train with - and there are a lot of folks out there like that poor woman. Try giving her a friendly nudge in the right direction.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

Nexus
10-29-2001, 09:18 PM
Allow people to think what they want about their skills. Superficial skills are evident to someone who practices and is sincere and serious about their training, but pointing it out to those whom are superficial does nothing but stir up problems. This understanding comes from experience though, and most people some time or another feel it is their job to point out what another person is doing incorrectly without being asked to do so.

Boasting is excessive and unnecessary, and although we all have done it and sometimes still do, we do not need to respond to it when others do it as we recognize it as an excess that that person brings out, not what they represent brings out.

- Nexus

soy
10-29-2001, 09:22 PM
Word word word. I totally agree.

Last week this ******* that comes to my school sometimes showed up. He came to our tuesday Muay Thai practice. He thinks he's the ****, but he's really just a 40 or so year old bully. We warm up before hitting pads and such with 3 pound weights. Of course he's too cool for three pounds so he grabs the biggest weights off the rack. I just glanced at him and he was making some mean looking face at me or someone or something I didnt really care. Then after a little while he goes and stands with two other guys while my teacher has them do knee attacks on a pad. By the end of the class his form is completely sloppy! He still struts around like a badass.. Augh..

Anyways, I guess I have deep rooted hatred for people with egos. It makes me happy however that I notice this. Perhaps this means that I don't appear this way? I hope so! Aguhghsdgsgdlkndfkjvn

This same guy almost got his ass handed to him because he was drunk at a party my school had, and he was trying to pick on guys smaller than him. One of the guys was like, "please don't touch me." He kept going and then my teacher told him to stop or they'd have to have a little talk. He did, when we got back from going out to dinner he went up stairs and hid. Didnt come down until everyone had left. Ahh.. what a scumbag..

Budokan
10-29-2001, 09:45 PM
No matter what your qualifications are, if you go around thinking of yourself as a "bada$$" then you most decidedly AREN'T.

K. Mark Hoover

HuangKaiVun
10-29-2001, 11:06 PM
too much high school.

too little REALITY.

joedoe
10-29-2001, 11:49 PM
You couldn't handle my GF. And you don't want to try her sister :D

You're fu(king up my chi

BAI HE
10-30-2001, 12:25 AM
Polaris - Leave them to their delusions. They may get more chicks, but you'll find what you seek by doing your thing. Don't be bothered with it, the great ones never were.

Peace, Pete

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2001, 01:57 AM
what he is saying is true though . ..

it's not about ignorance .. it's about being a complete and total fu cking moron.

i have to deal with these same types on a dialy basis for my job at an isp.

i have walked 90 year old women who have never touched a computer before (no . . i'm not exagerating . . not at all) through their internet setup in less than 15 minutes. took a bit longer than usual, but it's not hard to be patient when someone is actually following directions to teh best of their ability. i have also been on the phone with people for more than 2 hours who "were good wit dem computrs," and had owned their machines for 3 or more years trying to do the exact same thing. it's not about computer litteracy its about being a worthless waste of space and oxygen.

it's the same thing in the mas sceen. you got those who are new to it, and still very excited about their new "abilities," but are open minded and reasonable. they may have over inflated egos at first, but that will eventually sort itself out, or someone will sort it out for them. the other type will never be any better. they can get beaten down time and time again and will only get better at making excuses.

i hate stupid people . . .i hope they all die. and i hope they are afraid when they die.

where's my beer?

jun_erh
10-30-2001, 02:08 AM
I deal with these constantly. I always think of this old joke about the mosquito who is floating on his back with a hard on and goes under a bridge and yells up to the bridge guy "raise the bridge!!" I've never actually seen a mosquito with a hard on. :D

tsunami surfer
10-30-2001, 08:28 AM
Loudmouths alway give themselves away. Its kind of funny when my teammates or friends and I are partying in town and we listen to some guy brag what a bad ass he is. It is the best free entertainment in town.Ï

joe yang
10-30-2001, 04:30 PM
Someone who can kick anyones butt, knows it and has an attitude is not tough, but a bully. A tough guy is someone who knows they are going to get stomped, stands up anyone, takes a beating, and gets back up for more.

freestyler
10-30-2001, 07:06 PM
Bullies are usually insecure and want to make themselves feel better by defeating someone.
The tough fighters you gotta watch out for are the quiet ones that stir now trouble who know they can kick ass and don't need to prove it.
The beginner practitioner picks fights for practise purposes because they're fight deprived (don't spar) so they suck anyway.

What I find un-nerving is the bully that comes up close and pushes you and you have to wait for his first strike before you can decide if it's a real fight worth fighting for. And by that time it can be tricky to react in time. A single quick solid punch can really knock you down!

Sharky
10-30-2001, 07:10 PM
Pah. She's nothin man. I left her sister limpin' for a fortnight, and i ain't been scrappin, U GET ME!?!!?!

Sharky
10-30-2001, 07:13 PM
"What I find un-nerving is the bully that comes up close and pushes you and you have to wait for his first strike before you can decide if it's a real fight worth fighting for. And by that time it can be tricky to react in time. A single quick solid punch can really knock you down!"

Stand up for yourself and don't let him get in your face and push you

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-30-2001, 10:23 PM
do you actually come hear to try to learn anything freestyler?

if you are ever in doubt like that you spit in their face.

the situation will then resolve itself quite naturally.

this has been covered before . .. start paying attention.

where's my beer?

nobody
10-30-2001, 11:37 PM
and said to me once, "all i learned in boot camp, was how to be an @ss hole." i wouldnt mess with him because they do train marines to be killers, and they do know a few good tricks. im not saying you cant take him because im sure there are some out there that arent that good, but the ones i know are real badasses, but they dont talk **** either.

joedoe
10-31-2001, 12:17 AM
No, trust me, you would not be making that boast if you had ever seen my GF's sister :D

You're fu(king up my chi

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-31-2001, 12:38 AM
sharkey dont give a fuuuuck.

he take em skinny, he take em fat, he take em with their toothless crack head grandmother if they in to that . ...

he be lovin all dem b!tches.

where's my beer?

Johnny Hot Shot
10-31-2001, 12:43 AM
I have a bunch of marines that live next to me. I don't know much about their basic training but a few of them are coming to me to teach them MA. So go figure.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

straight blast
10-31-2001, 02:12 AM
I don't know about American Marines, but I sure as hell know that Australian soldiers coming out of boot camp think they can fight REAL good. They can't, but they think they can. I sparred an ex workmate when he got back from boot (I was in year 11 & he obviously was older & bigger) and I p**sed all over him. I fail to see how a few weeks/months can take the place of years of training. If that was the case I'd go look up Tae Bo. A few hours, a few tapes, & why would I ever have to go back to the ring and get hurt again? BAH.
But to give my mate (Ryan) credit, he didn't ***** or whinge about it. I suppose that's one thing they taught him :cool:

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

les paul
10-31-2001, 04:42 AM
Bring it!
Anyone......
I'll show you who's your daddy, your mammy and both your grandparents.

Beeeeeeee itCH!

Hold on before we go at it....
let me get this can of gasoline. one minuite please........

let me dump this can all over myself.

yep! now I'm good and soaked.

smell real good..... yea!!!!!!

Ok, now for that lighter?

Ok, here it is

Now before I light myself on fire, who wants to grapple?

Yea, just as I thought.

No one.

****! I got the same response at the local NHB event last week too!

He he he

Nobody and I mean nobody better call me SPANKY!

what?

Who just called me SPANKY?

nobody
10-31-2001, 04:53 AM
is that they go through more training after bootcamp. they get about 2 weeks leave then, they go and get more training. its an intense regime, because they seem to be able to train these guys/girls to shoot, a five inch square from about a hundred yards away.(that may be a little exaggerated, point is its really far)

Kung Lek
10-31-2001, 05:05 AM
all the guys i know in the mil, the canadian mil that is are tough as nails. not a whiner amongst em.

we's got some tuff enuff boys up here in the great white north.

they're all great guys with essential hand to hand skills, shooting skills, and small arm, bayonet and all the other stuff.

now there are divisions of guys that are more or less, well, green. But our armour guys is tuff and our heavy inf guys is tuff too.

they banned our special forces here cause their hazing rituals got video taped and the public got wind of it and freaked!

pretty typical stuff though. anyway, they do learn some pretty effective stuff in a hot 10 weeks even in basic.

most of our mil money goes to s.a.r.techs up here but in the states these units are all private companies i understand. so all the elite are airforce and we just don't have that big of a navy to really boast about.

anyway, I'm quite proud of the forces up here and happy to pay for em.
they get along good with the us marines too and have plenty of joint exercises together.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)