PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 111

Dragonzbane76
03-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Watched most of this last night. Was some good fights. The suprising match was Mir vs. carwin. Carwin knocked mir out in the first round. That guy has dynamite in his hands.

The hardy vs. pierre was a little of a let down, Pierre won it by decision. I was hoping hardy would have given pierre a better opponent although hardy did last much long than I thought. I just don't see anyone on the same level as pierre.

sanjuro_ronin
03-29-2010, 05:57 AM
GSP is the best all around MMA figter right now and he has learned that winning means dominating, not always having to Ko or submit.
Winning means you were the better fighter on that day.

SavvySavage
03-29-2010, 06:43 AM
I think it would be awesome if GSP dropped weight and fought Machida. That would be a fight that I'd pay to see

Dragonzbane76
03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
wouldn't he have to gain weight for that??? :confused:

thought Machida is light heavy weight.

SavvySavage
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM
You might be right. I thought Machida was a light weight. I guess I missed the 'heavy' part. Do you think that would be a good match up?

sihing
03-29-2010, 12:00 PM
GSP is the best all around MMA figter right now and he has learned that winning means dominating, not always having to Ko or submit.Winning means you were the better fighter on that day.

Actually I think he learned that lesson with the fight with Hardy. He admitted that he made a technical error and that he went for the submission to much and didn't adapt, so it proves that even the best of the best are still learning.

I thought the card on a whole was boring, not enough striking and KO's, the Carwin/Mir fight was the most exciting and surprised me totally. GSP is up there with Silva, Silva has better striking, GSP has better takedown and control from there. Michida and GSP, that would be a good fight, quite possible that could happen, Michida is not the biggest puncher, so I think GSP wouldn't be to overwhelemed with that.

James

SoCo KungFu
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think the error was that he went for too many submissions at all. He was dominating on the ground and came very close twice to finishing there. His corner telling him not to pass? That was dumb in my opinion.

As for errors, there are some things GSP needs to work on. Namely, his submissions. Granted they were deep and most people would have tapped, but they weren't perfect either and that could have been the difference. His arm bar, his knees weren't clinched tight enough, that may have led to Hardy rolling his arm just enough to take off some of the pressure. The kimura was deep too, but GSP's left hip was too high. There was too much space and Hardy could push his hips back enough that while it hurt, it wasn't enough to tap him. GSP should have had his hips more level, taking away that space and he coulda had a few more inches of torque on that arm.

That said though, that's why GSP is the most dominating. He's probably already gone back to the tapes and has been drilling all this and more.

Paul T England
03-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Hardy is a very tough fighter and if GSP had made a mistake hardy would have won...so i GSP kept things tight and dominated. most fighters would have lost with those subs.....

Paul

Frost
03-30-2010, 02:25 AM
Dans a very tough fighter, people that know him know he was nbot going to tap to those subs...lol he probably wouldn't have tapped at all its just the way he is. But he and a lot of British and european fighters suffer from the lack of wrestling training, they enjoy the stand up and train it much to much, at this level you need a very good ground game more than you need a K1 level of striking, especially if you are going to fight GSP.

Having said that i don't think many people can live with GSP on the ground he is just too big and too fast and too technical.

sanjuro_ronin
03-30-2010, 06:55 AM
IF GSP ever takes time off and trains for the Abu Dhabi, he will come back virtually unbeatable.

Frost
03-30-2010, 07:06 AM
IF GSP ever takes time off and trains for the Abu Dhabi, he will come back virtually unbeatable.

Do you mean in MMA? beacuse in ADCC he would have to facey MArcelo, kron and pablo :eek:i couldn't see him getting past the semis

In MMA he would lose to a heavier stronger opponent, and that means he would have to go up a weight catagory which i don't think he will

sanjuro_ronin
03-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Do you mean in MMA? beacuse in ADCC he would have to facey MArcelo, kron and pablo :eek:i couldn't see him getting past the semis

In MMA he would lose to a heavier stronger opponent, and that means he would have to go up a weight catagory which i don't think he will

I meant training for the Abu Dhabi, I didn't say anything about winning though, LOL!
Just training and competing for it would hone his submission skills to a very awesome point.

Frost
03-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I meant training for the Abu Dhabi, I didn't say anything about winning though, LOL!
Just training and competing for it would hone his submission skills to a very awesome point.

i don't think he needs the sub skills, his riding skills are so good that when added to his takedowns no one at his weight can handle him, the only thing that might push his towards subs is the crowd getting bored with dominating wins

Shaolin
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
He has trained and competed at ADCC.

Gsp vs Otto Olsen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02cX0dXjIGA

Gsp vs Leonard Santos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBO3Bunt3i8

There's another video with him against Diego Sanchez but I can't find it right now.

sanjuro_ronin
03-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Gsp vs Otto Olsen

Gsp vs Leonard Santos

There's another video with him against Diego Sanchez but I can't find it right now.

Nice find, thanks !
I trained with Leo awhile back, great guy, him and his bother Wagney.
GSP never stood a chance.

Frost
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Gsp vs Otto Olsen

Gsp vs Leonard Santos

yes he was when he was younger, and whilst his wrestling and grappling is first rate in MMA, pure sub grappling is a different animal, hence why the best grapplers, braulio, marcello, roger and royler etc never do very well in MMA, and vis versa with the best MMA guys like GSP, different tactics and skills are needed at the top of each sport (of course their are exceptions like some of the garson gracie guys arona sperry etc but they compete years ago, the guy arts have advanced alot since then)