PDA

View Full Version : The different Chinese people

kfson
03-28-2010, 04:48 PM
In my area, most of the Chinese are from Taiwan or Hong Kong area.
These people, in general, seem to be polar opposites. The HK people are more outgoing and the Taiwanese are reserved and conservative, kind of like the differences between a Brit and an Aussie.

David Jamieson
03-29-2010, 06:19 AM
In my area, most of the Chinese are from Taiwan or Hong Kong area.
These people, in general, seem to be polar opposites. The HK people are more outgoing and the Taiwanese are reserved and conservative, kind of like the differences between a Brit and an Aussie.

Taiwanese Chinese are born of nationalism, Hong Kong (and Macao) Chinese are born of Capitalism and Mainland Chinese are born of communism.

It presents one with 3 completely and utterly different types of Chinese from a social nurturing standpoint. Yes, they seem like different peoples altogether, because they all came up in different socio-political and socio-economic siuations in a very broad sense.

Over the next 10 years or so, you'll see more balance between all chinese while westernized chinese will be nurtured by their new socio-political and socio-economic situations.

SPJ
03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
yes. hong kong was under british rule for 99 years.

they are much westernized.

Gordon liu, Danny Yen etc they went to british system of schools of in HK. They had to learn some kung fu and get a hold/glimpse of the chinese roots.

Taiwan and Mainland were split since 1949.

--

however, for the most part , the city living is the big division for the mainlanders.

if you live in the country side, you are pretty much old china.

if you live in the coastal cities, you are exposed to all the conviences of western technology in the 21st century.

---

even thou political realities are different

but people are bound by the same Chinese culture with old values--

--

:cool:

David Jamieson
03-30-2010, 06:13 AM
yes. hong kong was under british rule for 99 years.

they are much westernized.

Gordon liu, Danny Yen etc they went to british system of schools of in HK. They had to learn some kung fu and get a hold/glimpse of the chinese roots.

Taiwan and Mainland were split since 1949.

--

however, for the most part , the city living is the big division for the mainlanders.

if you live in the country side, you are pretty much old china.

if you live in the coastal cities, you are exposed to all the conviences of western technology in the 21st century.

---

even thou political realities are different

but people are bound by the same Chinese culture with old values--

--

:cool:

True. The Confucian ideal runs deep in all Chinese. Much the same way as the Christian ideal runs deep in most westerners. (Even the ones who hate church and want to be atheists, they still have the same types of ethics and morals as the rest :) )

sanjuro_ronin
03-30-2010, 06:53 AM
I was in Macao for 9 months, those guys were freaking hilarious !!
Supposedly more like the HK chinese.

GeneChing
03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
It's a mistake to think of the Chinese as all the same. Quite the contrary. Even the PRC acknowledges some 60 minorities. Some of those minorities are cave dwellers. How can you compare that to someone who lives in the heart of Shanghai - one of the most metropolitan cities in the world?

China is larger and more populated than America. In America, land of the franchise, it's a mistake to consider Americans as all the same.

David Jamieson
03-30-2010, 11:49 AM
It's a mistake to think of the Chinese as all the same. Quite the contrary. Even the PRC acknowledges some 60 minorities. Some of those minorities are cave dwellers. How can you compare that to someone who lives in the heart of Shanghai - one of the most metropolitan cities in the world?

China is larger and more populated than America. In America, land of the franchise, it's a mistake to consider Americans as all the same.

who considers them the same? :confused:

Heck, I don't even consider Canadians all the same lol and we have like 1/3 of 1% of the population of China.

But the things that make us same are the generationally grown core belief systems.

so your shanghai socialite and your average troglodyte chinese person probably have similar views on who is responsible for taking care of grandma in her older years and what is right ethically and morally in context to Chinese living.

In a cave or in a swanky apartment. The essence is there.

Same here. I am nothing like a Newfoundlander, but we share a lot of core things and ultimately, we share a sense of national identity that I am sure Chinese people get into just the same as anyone else.

Identity is important no matter who you are. When you lose that or your sense of it, everything is gone with it.

Skip J.
03-30-2010, 01:17 PM

So true!!!!

Most of the Chinese folks in the Houston area eventually move out to us. Thats' quite a few who form a larger minority than most other suburbs of Houston.

Due to the cultural connection, we get more folks of Chinese heritage - first generation, second, third, etc. - in our taiji class as beginners than any other minority. More of them stick with it over the years than folks from other cultures, including us non-minorities. So I have met quite a few - from all different countries - and can truly say no two are alike, even those from the same town. I can see that the difference between older and younger is greater than where they are from. Second generation children are American by nature, with very little of the Chinese culture hanging on.

GeneChing
03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Many Americans are shocked at the diversity of Chinese. I imagine there's some of that in Canada too, but Canada seems a little more open to cultural diversity with the French and the natives.

Try this experiment. Ask some one what they think comprises the largest minority in China. When you tell them the answer - Muslim Hui - see if they are surprised.

David Jamieson
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Many Americans are shocked at the diversity of Chinese. I imagine there's some of that in Canada too, but Canada seems a little more open to cultural diversity with the French and the natives.

Try this experiment. Ask some one what they think comprises the largest minority in China. When you tell them the answer - Muslim Hui - see if they are surprised.

lol, average troglodyte, yes.

I am exercising my erudition as is my right and duty in a forum of written words! You as a writer must appreciate that from the members now and then as opposed to the penned equivalent of "mah duuuuhhh Imma be a bad arse guhuh huh, etc" :p

You brought up cave dweller, I was compelled to use the technical term. :D

SPJ
03-30-2010, 06:27 PM
growing up in the military/police villages in Taipei, Taiwan.

I got to know a lot of dialects. There are alot Shan Dong people in the navy. A lot Si Chuan people in the air force.

there are a lot zhe jiang people in the police etc etc.

---

my high school best buddies

one is a moslem chinese with last name Ma (horse).

and the other is Mogolian. they both like to shuai jiao.

I had more than my fare share of eating dirts after being thrown on the ground a lot by them.

---

I got the habits of eating both moslem and mogolian food. b/c of my friends.

si chuan food is too spicy for me. but my father and my 2 brothers absolutely love it.

---

those were the days.

:)

SPJ
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
cave dwelling is actually popular in the north west China.

the rooms are carved out from the earth or rocks, with window and door outside/fascade, the rest is inside the rock or earth.

they are comfortable to live in.

they are warm during winter and cool during summer.

just have to sweep the dirt on the floor all the time.

---

:)

uki
03-30-2010, 06:41 PM
my mom has cherokee in her... the native americans crossed that little land mass that used to be there between russia and alaska(which is on lease from russia)... so... i guess what i am saying is that i am very differently similar to the different versions of the chinese. :)

Skip J.
03-31-2010, 04:56 AM
my mom has cherokee in her... the native americans crossed that little land mass that used to be there between russia and alaska(which is on lease from russia)... so... i guess what i am saying is that i am very differently similar to the different versions of the chinese. :)
MMMMmmmmm uki; I am used to thinking of you as Mr. Everyman.... now I need to expand that scope of thinking to include the Asian lands too....

Good thinking on your part! I'm just gettin' old (in my thinking) I guess....

Dragonzbane76
03-31-2010, 06:39 AM
irish/scottish... Irish and scots have lots of similarities and history but if you asked them they would whole heartedly deny any connection. :)

David Jamieson
04-01-2010, 06:36 AM
irish/scottish... Irish and scots have lots of similarities and history but if you asked them they would whole heartedly deny any connection. :)

No they wouldn't. I disagree. Many Scots see Irish as brothers and vice versa.
You need to get over to the UK for a couple of weeks or something. :p

Dragonzbane76
04-01-2010, 06:56 AM
man you are way to serious sometimes i swear. you need to get out of your house for a couple weeks or something. :p it was a joke, i have many relatives in ireland (Killarney) and some in glascow, so i'm pretty sure i know. It was a reference to a joke if you didn't know that in my last statement.

kfson
04-01-2010, 07:02 AM
The Scots and Irish I've met seem to have different cultural personalities. The Scots seem to be more reserved while the Irish are more outgoing... to the point of having a temper.

Dragonzbane76
04-01-2010, 07:24 AM
totally agree scots and irish both have differing personalities. I think you misunderstood the temper of the irish you met. It's kinda an outgoing type of personality lots of people misunderstand it when they first meet an irishman.

David Jamieson
04-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Well, you can see an Irishman running at you with anger in his eyes. YOu have a chance to defend yourself at least with an Irishman.

A Scot, on the other hand, will kill you while casually smiling and without giving you a chance to react.

we're just like that. :D

Dragonzbane76
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
guess i get the best of both worlds then. I'm irish/scot so i guess i'll walk up to you with anger in my eyes and beat you to an inch of your life and then calmly walk away. :)

SimonM
04-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm half Scots and half Irish and trust me, both sides enjoy the fray. :D

SanHeChuan
04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Irish and scott's are Chinese? :confused: