PDA

View Full Version : Is the census Asian centric?

junelercraw
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I just turned in my U.S. census. After all the hype, there weren't that many questions. I was expecting a lot more. There were over a dozen different types of Asian ethnicities - Chinese, Japanese, and so on - but only one category for White and Black. What is up with that?

Lucas
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
white and black people arent allowed to have any cultural heritage. there was a memo

:p

SPJ
03-29-2010, 07:43 PM
asia is a vast continent with very diverse ethnicities and cultures

i think to make differences among people from Japan, China, Korea etc

It may have more bearing with economic significances than any thing else in the census.

I live in so cal, with vast asian communities. My nextdoor neighbors are from viet nam, korea, etc

--

YouKnowWho
03-29-2010, 07:58 PM
The US is going to declare war against China in the next 10 years. The US government needs to know how many Chinese in US so they can build enough concentration camps for them.

Drake
03-29-2010, 08:23 PM
The US is going to declare war against China in the next 10 years. The US government needs to know how many Chinese in US so they can build enough concentration camps for them.

You beat me to the conspiracy theory... :(

David Jamieson
03-30-2010, 11:54 AM

lol. awesome observation!

Unfortunately, you are probably right. :(

In WW2, both Canada and the USA built interment camps and put all the Japanese people in them while continuing to marginalize Chinese folks and keeping them out of the business world outside of the context of their respective Chinatowns.

SanHeChuan
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Everyone always forgets about the Germany and Italian internment camps in the US. During WWII 110,000 Japanese, 11,000 Germans, and a few hundred Italians", and 4,500 Germans extradited from South America to the U.S. Many hundreds of thousands more had to register as “enemy aliens". There were also a few thousand Germans interned during WWI. All important history. We shouldn't ignore history because we don't like what it says about us.

Ironic Fact: more people have immigrated to the United States from Germany than from any other country.

David Jamieson
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Everyone always forgets about the Germany and Italian internment camps in the US. During WWII 110,000 Japanese, 11,000 Germans, and a few hundred Italians", and 4,500 Germans extradited from South America to the U.S. Many hundreds of thousands more had to register as “enemy aliens". There were also a few thousand Germans interned during WWI. All important history. We shouldn't ignore history because we don't like what it says about us.

Ironic Fact: more people have immigrated to the United States from Germany than from any other country.

If you roll in the mexicans that aren't supposed to be there, they tip that stat heavy! lol

Drake
03-30-2010, 02:07 PM

I wrote a paper about them in college. If we tried that with Islamic Americans or American Citizens of Arab descent, I'd drop my paperwork to get out the next day. Habeaus Corpus has been suspended once in our history, and I'm not supporting anyone who thinks it should happen again.