PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Form

olkat314
06-07-2000, 06:46 AM
How about this form, we just started this today.

I think it's either Eighteen Elders or Black Tiger Crossing:

Start facing forward, then seven star step with supplementary punch (right), then advance seven star step (still in right seven star though) with funny thing with hand so that you hit with mantis claw. then, hook grapple pluck right hill climibing, then right seven star supplementary punch. then advance to left seven star, wrist lock too. then kwa and punch.

Sorry, I know it's not too mysterious, but I'm just curious. How many total moves in this one?

Tak

jut sow
06-07-2000, 07:23 AM
hello, i know a form called 18 old men which i learned from sifu john scolaro. he has lived in taiwan for some time. it sounds alot like the one i know, if it is, you have a ways to go maybe 40-50 moves. train hard and prosper hok shan.

Kram1
06-07-2000, 09:22 AM
Did you know John Scolaro in Taiwan? He has just opened a school here in Tampa! What else do you know about him and him style (Pong Lai Wu Ji Praying Mantis) ?

jut sow
06-07-2000, 07:33 PM
actually, my sifu's wife is his sister, i met john once or twice, don't know if he still remebers me. i was at wah lum temple when he was around. i do know that his skill is beyond question. he has trained with some great masters though.

Michael Dasargo
06-07-2000, 11:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olkat314:

Start facing forward, then seven star step with supplementary punch (right), then advance seven star step (still in right seven star though) with funny thing with hand so that you hit with mantis claw. then, hook grapple pluck right hill climibing, then right seven star supplementary punch. then advance to left seven star, wrist lock too. then kwa and punch.

Sorry, I know it's not too mysterious, but I'm just curious. How many total moves in this one?

Tak[/quote]

Tak,
It sounds to me like your playing the "Do Gong" set. It means "Avoiding Hardness". Play close attention to the flow/combinations of high and low strikes(the 7 Star stance), the name of the set gives you its intentions.
Have Fun,

------------------
M.Dasargo
The Traditinal Kung Fu Academy
San Diego, CA.USA

Michael Dasargo
06-07-2000, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olkat314:

Tak[/quote]

Tak,
To clarify things, here is my interperatation of what you are doing:

1. Dodge Step w/ Pak Sao, step with 7 Star Bo Choy.
2. Left foot steps up(heels together) w/ Scissor Palm.
3. RT. foot 7 Star w/left, Diu Sao(redirecting) and Rt. Diu wrist thrust.
4. Ou Lou Tsoi shifting to rt. Hill Climbing Stance
5. lt. foot steps up (heels together) as lt hand wipes underneath.rt. hand in chamber position
6. rt. 7 Star with rt. Bo Choy
7. Left foo steps forward into lt 7 star with Silk Entwining Hand
8. Kwa Dung Choy(no Change in stance)

So is it the set you're playing?

------------------
M.Dasargo
The Traditinal Kung Fu Academy
San Diego, CA.USA

mantis boxer
06-24-2000, 10:57 AM
I don't think 18 old men has 50 movements. I counted about 40. But it could be the way you count the movements and how much you break them down.

grifter721
08-11-2001, 06:34 AM
you guys unfortunetly dont know what yiu are talking about and it is VERY unfortunate that no one will read this.....
The form you are talking about is called Secret force not 18 elders. 18 elders is a form that trains the left

loki
08-11-2001, 02:38 PM
Secret Force?...LoL!

NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

ExitusDeorum
08-11-2001, 08:30 PM
I'd have to agree with Mike on this one - it sounds a lot like Dor Gon Kune. Very sweet form... :)

"Cry shamefully and let loose the turnips of war!"

18elders
08-13-2001, 03:00 PM
no that is not 18elders.
18elders trains both the right and the left, not just the left.
To Kram1, i train in Pong Lai with Shr fu John.
You should come and take a class and see what it is about.
I was a Shrfu in Wah Lum and i quit to train with John because it is the real stuff. I have met John's Shrfu( Shr Jeng Jong) 3 times and he will show you applications out the ying yang. He knows so many 2 person drills it is unbelievable. Every form we have learned has a 2 person form to it, all the basics are 2 person sets, there is no guessing as to what an application is as it was in Wah Lum. He can counter anything and he loves to train with the students and he will throw you around and he will let you do takedowns on him.
He was here in March and he showed us some nice takedowns.
He knows 4 complete mantis styles, 7 star, plum flower, tai chi and secret door.
He is documented in Shandong as have the systems handed down to him.
As to Jut sow, hi buddy how's things going?
Still training hard.
John's training us pretty hard and its great.
Keep in touch.

Young Mantis
08-13-2001, 06:21 PM
Grifter721, I find it rather striking that you would accuse people on this forum of not knowing what they are talking about in relation to this form. I would agree with Mike's conclusion that the form described is "Daw Ghong". This is the Cantonese pronunciation and is most oftenly translated as "Avoiding Rigidity/Hardness".

I assume from your earlier posts that you are a student of Philipman Chow or at least from his lineage. I know his website lists a form called "Secret Force" but you may want to check the name in Chinese before accusing people here of not knowing of what they speak. You might find that the forms are one in the same. On his English forms list, "Secret Force" is listed first and on the Chinese page, he lists "Dor Ghong" first as well.

There are many people on this forum who have studied the Praying Mantis system for a long time and I think some people may take offense to your comments. Just some friendly advice.

YM