PDA

View Full Version : Hwarang-Do claims to have 365 different kicks??

LaterthanNever
04-03-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm not trying to cause any controversy..since I've never studied any Korean arts. The 365 # seems to be a bit much. Can anyone comment? Can a style have this many kicks?

Scott R. Brown
04-03-2010, 02:57 AM
It is possible, but that would mean they are counting with something along the lines of, a front kick with the heel as the impact point as one kind of kick and a front kick with the impact point the ball of the foot as another. Left front kick with the heel as the impact point as one kind, and right front kick with the heel as the impact point as another.

Most of the kicks will just be variations of other kicks!

YouKnowWho
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
They may count kicks differently depends on the target area such as a kick to the face, chin, chest, stomach, belly, groin, upper leg, lower leg, ... There is no way that we can come up that many kicks. Our leg just don't bend in that many different directions.

dimethylsea
04-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I have only one kick... but I do it each day of the year. Therefore I have 365 kicks.

See how easy that is?

Scott R. Brown
04-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I have only one kick... but I do it each day of the year. Therefore I have 365 kicks.

See how easy that is?

<Slaps forehead> Doh!:eek:

David Jamieson
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
while there were the Hwarang.
The current style is not actually related.

It is taken from Tae Kwon Do and various other martial arts and hobbled together into a martial art that the Koreans can have for themselves that isn't TKD and which they can tie to more ancient values and ways.

TKD as many know was an invention of a military man in the 50's.

Hwarang Do did not exist until much much later and is a revivalist reconstruction.

so if it has 365 kicks, fine. It can have whatever it likes I guess. It doesn't make it any more authentic or genuine and it certainly doesn't make it as ancient as it's proponents would wish people believed it was. lol :p

KC Elbows
04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
A predeliction for outlandish costumes might be one of the kicks.

Scott R. Brown
04-05-2010, 05:30 PM

That would be my favorite one.

It is also potentially the most dangerous kick, because it can defeat your opponent with laughter!:eek:

Have you ever tried to fight while you were laughing?

goju
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
also you have to consider the flying kicks spin kicks and the ground kicks and then you can eventually get to 365

David Jamieson
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM

what you don't have gold lamé head dresses and capes in your style?

psssh, you are playing patty elbows! :p

Scott R. Brown
04-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Excellent post Andy!

I have said here, years ago, that details don't matter. It is the underlying principles that matter. Once one understands the underlying, foundational principles everything else is easy to learn, understand, and modify for your own needs and purposes!

In general people are so locked up into the details that I finally just gave up!

It is nice to see someone else understands!:)

Kevin73
04-14-2010, 05:10 AM
I'm not trying to cause any controversy..since I've never studied any Korean arts. The 365 # seems to be a bit much. Can anyone comment? Can a style have this many kicks?

The more important question is do they need that many? How many of those are you going to be spending time on to master? How much wasted time is spent on practicing a bunch of low percentage moves instead of time on a couple bread and butter kicks?

DRAGONSIHING
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Are you going to be in a confrontation and think to yourself.......Ah, kick number 287 applies here..... Or are you just going to kick and make it work fit whats happening?:rolleyes:

pazman
04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Hwa rang is supposed to mean "Flowering man" Actually it just means Chinese. So their art means Chinese Way. To ask if someone is ethnically Chinese (regardless of nationality) you say "Hua ren" which in Korean is pronounced Hua Rang. Until recently Korean used Chinese characters.

Your Chinese reading of "hua ren" is correct, but as applied to Korean is wrong. Hwarang in this case refers to a cultural group that existed in the Silla Kingdom. Hwarang-do and the taekwondo poomse Hwarang both pay homage to this group. The use of "人" in this case makes reference to rank or position rather than a people.:)

Regardless, 365 kicks is pretty lame:D

TenTigers
04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I believe it was created by Joo Bang Lee and Joo Sang Lee, who claimed to have inherited the style after being raised in a temple in Korea.
ok, fine. But were they the only ones who learned this art in the temple in centuries? Shouldn't there be others?

David Jamieson
04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
hwarang is also the sound of...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QnWZ9RypUYY/SojI3fDZgzI/AAAAAAAAC18/MkOqCmlKn-U/s400/honey.jpg

kick 366, i just hwaranged!

goju
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
hwarang is also the sound of...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QnWZ9RypUYY/SojI3fDZgzI/AAAAAAAAC18/MkOqCmlKn-U/s400/honey.jpg

kick 366, i just hwaranged!

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Technology/images/heart-attack.jpg

hot **** i think im having an infarction:D:D:D