PDA

View Full Version : wing chun workout

grasshopper 2.0
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi folks,

was playing with my resistance bands (mightybands) that i'm currently using for my "journey to 6 pack abs (http://www.mightygrasshopper.com/2010/03/week-9-journey-to-sexy-6-pack-abs.html)" (and no, this is not me trying to sell anything - you can see i'm actually doing the program myself, with my halfway progress pictures posted!) but I was playing with it using wing chun movements! they worked out surprisingly well! i made a video for my kung fu blog. thought i'd share it on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKEfk6QqfMI
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKEfk6QqfMI)
Now before people start bashing this- i don't believe such training is needed, but just adds a change to the regular training routine. this is more just supplementary, but not essential.

Bully
04-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks, we were talking about this very thing on another WC forum I frequent yesterday.

May try some of these exercises.

SAAMAG
04-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Cool...thanks for the illustration. Good form btw.

Ultimatewingchun
04-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Watched your vid. Not bad. I can see how this can help strengthen the very muscle combinations most used while doing wing chun.

Lee Chiang Po
04-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Nothing to bash. In fact, it is a very good way to strengthen and gain form and precision in your technique.

grasshopper 2.0
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
thanks everyone for the feedback! really appreciate that!

punchdrunk
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
good idea.. thanx for sharing. Any ideas on how to make it progressively resistant? (besides just adding more reps)

grasshopper 2.0
04-04-2010, 12:56 PM
well a couple things come to mind:

1) one of the reasons i put up the mightybands logo - the particular product lets you allows additional bands of varying resistance to be added to the handles/ankle straps.

2) increase the stretch of the bands

3) perform the exercises at different speeds, really slow, really fast/explosive, or simply holding position for a specific amount of time.

4) this would only complement your existing routine, so when your muscles are used to the resistant bands, then change it up for a while and then come back to the resistance bands - helps keep the body guessing.

haha..i was trying to really increase the resistance..there was a point my body couldn't even hold the position. almost fell back like a goof haha...

but that said, it really works the core like crazy! the knee pressure has to be there to keep your stance from falling back from the ankle straps, and then the low elbow/lat muscles/abs have to kick in to hold the handles in place..

of course, i would edit the part where i almost fell on my butt of out of the video ;)

Matrix
04-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for sharing some different material Grasshopper.
It's nice to see something fresh. Not more of the same-old-same-old.

Cheers
Bill

CFT
04-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like a good product. My only concern with "attaching" the bands at the hands is that it shifts your focus to the wrists/hands rather than "developing the elbow" .

grasshopper 2.0
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
yea it can. that's where the training comes in and the placement of the bands. When the training is good (IMO), you'll replicate the low elbow, lat muscle, knee pressure etc and translate that into the bands.

I don't know if you can tell in the video, i've also wrapped the bands around my forearms so that the bands are "driven" by the elbows as i performed the bong sao, elbows, and lan sao movements. it's a quick learning curve.

anyway, played with them some more today just to see what else i could do with it...it's been a lot of fun. lots to experiment with. hopefully will post more vids!