PDA

View Full Version : Iron and Silk

Tainan Mantis
10-13-2001, 03:17 AM
I seem to remember that the kung fu teacher in the book Iron & Silk was Wu Bin. And the movie was Master Pan.
Or am I mistaken and the man in the book was also Pan?

Stumblefist
10-13-2001, 04:55 PM
Tainan Mantis: I have a friend who regularly travels with Master Pan. You are mistaken, the man in the book was Master Pan. They both used each other to get famous in the West. :)
Now Wu Bin,? rings a bell? Choreographer for Shaolin Shi?

"This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Silumkid
10-13-2001, 09:32 PM
Wu Bin was (and may still be) the head coach of the Beijing Wushu Team. His most famous student is...you guessed it, Jet Li! Master Pan was also named in the book, not only the movie. :D

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

honorisc
10-13-2001, 11:26 PM
Stumblefist, is your friend who travels with Master Pan a female?

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Stumblefist
10-14-2001, 06:46 AM
No-Know. Hee Hee, You're thinking of Diane, I suppose. She's a tough lady.
Ok.I still think i've heard the name wu bin in movies as choreographer, perhaps worked with Pan. I'll check it out.
Pan was The Master in the book that Mark learned from. They both played themselves in the movie.

"This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free

Silumkid
10-14-2001, 05:53 PM
I honestly can't think of anything that Wu Bin may have worked on as choreographer...are you sure you aren't thinking of "Woo Ping"? Yup, as in Yuen...also there are several other Yuen's in the movie industry whose names sound similar. I'd be interested to know if Wu Bin did do anything though...could very well be worth the time to research. I wonder if Gene knows...

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

HuangKaiVun
10-15-2001, 03:41 AM
We have an idiot 18-year old poster here named "Ralek" who thinks he can defeat Pan Qing Fu!

What is this friggin' world coming to?

Stumblefist
10-15-2001, 05:08 PM
MasterPan was the chief choreographer of "Shaolin Temple". :D :D :D
Here's some more credits for Master Pan.

http://www.warriorspower.com/noframes/masters/panqingfu.html

"This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free

Tainan Mantis
10-19-2001, 06:25 AM
I was referring to the man mentioned by Silumkid.
I'm pretty sure that he hasn't done any movie work. He is not Woo Ping.

nobody
10-20-2001, 04:47 AM
isnt that the guy who punches steel.

Stumblefist
10-20-2001, 09:19 AM
Yes Master Pan toughens up one (1) fist, his right by punching steel. Like my friend said, it's scary just looking at it or having tea with him, like he's got some steel welded to his knuckles.
His student taught me the technique, which is more or less just do it, repetitively, just lightly and don't go crazy, let the skin heal sometimes, go again. Even my friend gave me a present... a heavy piece of steel with a flat surface. :) :)

However, i decided agaist it: the impracticalities of lugging around a piece of steel with me. However i sometimes give trees a heavy workout, palms, knuckles and all.
Which brings up something interesting, Master Pan doesn't use the traditional fist ( like in Karate and most kungfu). If you can get a photo, study where the callouses have developed. You can see there is none on the top first knuckle, but there is one on the third knuckle. Mater Pan does not bend his hand to make flat first two knuckles and back of hand is not parallel in a line with the arm. He uses the "natural fist" with different impact knuckles. It is quite unusual.

To understand what i mean, oberve which knuckles make full contact when you hold your fist against a flat surface. And then how you can change that.
Well he doesn't have to reach in his pocket for the brass knuckles! :D :D

"It hurts to set you free

nobody
10-20-2001, 02:36 PM
i believe that is a wing chun fist...where you punch with the last 3 knuckles of the hand.

Stumblefist
10-20-2001, 03:45 PM
Nobody...
maybe, i don't know... BUT the fist i am talking about the bottom knuckle of the first finger also makes contact. both knuckles of the second finger and the top knuckle of the third but not the fourth.
I think the wing chun idea is for the vertical up-torquing punch.

"It hurts to set you free

RAF
10-29-2001, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know what became of Mark Salzman author of Iron and Silk and the movie Iron and Silk?

How about his relationship with Pan Qing Fu?

Kristoffer
10-29-2001, 04:16 PM
nope sorry,,
do u know of any reliable internet sites from wich u can buy that movie?

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

RAF
10-29-2001, 04:28 PM
Kristoffer:

No, rented out of Blockbuster. Just wondered. I met Pan Qing Fu a couple of times about 3 years ago and just wondered what ever happened to Salzman. The film is actually kind of funny and the attempt at Chen's taiji, well, kinda of goofy (but the actress was not a martial artist).

You could probably order the tape from Amazon.com.

apoweyn
10-29-2001, 04:46 PM
Salzman is still writing a lot. But I don't think he practices gung fu anymore. Something about a bad back injury basically making it impossible.

With Salzman stateside and Pan Qingfu in Ontario, Canada, I imagine they're in touch. But I don't know for sure.

Stuart B.

shaolinboxer
10-29-2001, 05:18 PM
Another fun book by him is The Laughing Sutra.

apoweyn
10-29-2001, 05:41 PM
i agree. i dug his take on the monkey myth.

GeneChing
10-29-2001, 08:19 PM
Salzman married Jessica Yu a few years back. She won an Oscar for a short documentary on someone in an iron lung. We used to fence against each other as teenagers and I used to arm her mother Connie (who was a nationally-rated fencer). I sort of lost touch with them when I dropped out of the fencing world...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

apoweyn
10-29-2001, 08:40 PM
okay, that's pretty **** cool, Gene.

RAF
10-29-2001, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Gene and others.

Watched the movie the other nite with a friend from Beijing who is not in the martial arts. She thought it was a pretty good potential for a love story and was disappointed in how it ended.

Also wondered about the relationship with Pan Qing Fu.

apoweyn
10-29-2001, 10:24 PM
apparently, that's pretty much how it ended in reality (if the book represents reality). it's a little different, as i gather they had to combine some characters and plotlines to fit into a standard movie time.

but essentially...

GeneChing
05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Salzman just got mentioned on the American Shaolin by Matt Polly thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=858819&posted=1#post858819), and it occurred to me that I never mentioned his latest effort with his wife Jessica Yu. Jessica just did a documentary film called Protagonist (http://protagonist.alivemindmedia.com/index.php?entry=entry080415-084209). Mark is the focus of one of the segments. It looks quite interesting. There was an S.F. showing a few months back but I couldn't make it. I started to follow up on it, but the story grew cold and I moved on to other topics.

Also, in regards to Master Pan, see our FEB 2000 issue (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=109): Pan Qing Fu's Joint Locks: Qin Na's paralyzing Grip (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=110) By Dianne Naughton

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/images/mzine/2000-2cover.jpg

Chief_Suicide
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I saw some clips for that documentary on youtube.

I loved both books. I wasn't trying to compare the two. I read Iron and Silk because is was mentioned in Polly's book. If it wasn't for Polly, I wouldn't have known Iron and Silk existed.

They are different stories, and both are enjoyable in their own rights.

The only thing close to either of these stories I have experienced was a trip to Australia 10 years ago before I was married. In my story there is no Kung Fu, Sex, or great teachers.

I only recently started to practice (take lessons) in kung fu, and I found Matthew and Mark's stories inspirational.

There are other books along a similar line (going to China to study Kung Fu) but I believe Mark and Matthew's stories are the best. Great inspiration.

GeneChing
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM
'Fall Down Seven Times, Get up Eight' is a biblical and Bodhidharma quote.

Salzman speaks about time studying kung fu (http://www.therip.com/news/2011/10/19/salzman-speaks-about-time-studying-kung-fu/)
Nate Perez, Reporter
October 19, 2011

After graduating from Yale University, Mark Salzman was offered a job in China where he taught English at a medical school and studied kung fu for two years. He wrote his most notable title, “Iron and Silk,” based on his experiences in China. Later, the memoir was turned into a film where Salzman played himself.

Growing up, Salzman never intended on being a writer. He was obsessed with martial arts and Chinese culture. He wasn’t fond of reading and he was an extremely awkward child, petite with a high voice. “I only read books that were assigned to me,” said Salzman.

Salzman grew up in Greenwich, Conn. and attended Yale University where he originally intended on studying music, but changed his major to Chinese Language and Literature.

Salzman gave three presentations on Oct. 11 at the Fireside Room. His presentation titled “Fall Down Seven Times, Get up Eight: Chapters from the Writing Life” discussed the challenges of writing and focused on three books: “Iron and Silk” described his time spent in China, “True Notebooks: A Writer’s Year at Juvenile Hall” described his experiences on teaching young inmates writing skills and “Lying Awake,” his novel about a nun experiencing spiritual visions due to a health issue where the nun must make a decision between a life-saving operation or her spiritual quest.

Salzman seemed particularly fond of his time spent at the juvenile detention center. Salzman said, “the grammar wasn’t great, but the stories and the potential were phenomenal. That’s what writing is to me.” To this day, Salzman still keeps in contact with some of the boys that he encountered in the juvenile system.

Despite Salzman being an accomplished author, he still faced many challenges writing his books. He resorted to unusual methods such as wearing foil while writing and going to an authors resort in order to finish his work.

All the seats in the Fireside room seemed taken and there were even people sitting on the floor in order to catch the event.

David Guerrero, 19, said, “I didn’t know who he was. I saw the poster in the library and the description sounded interesting, so I decided to go.”

Salzman was the Cerro Author chosen for 2011. Reference Librarian Marci Lingo organized the event. Each year, Bakersfield College receives spending money for events like these where speakers well suited for BC students give presentations.

The library purchased copies of Salzman’s books to specifically be distributed to students for free on Sept. 14.

Salzman currently lives in Los Angeles with his wife and their two children. For now, Salzman has no plans to write another book.