PDA

View Full Version : Court rules FCC cannot regulate 'Net neutrality

1bad65
04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
A victory for the 1st Amendment.

Article here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20001825-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

SanHeChuan
04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
A victory for the 1st Amendment.

Article here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20001825-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

How is corporate censorship any better than Chinese censorship?

Although file sharing sites are a hot beds of illegal activity and should be taken down, or better regulated anyway.

Just don't take MK's P0rn away, who knows what he'd do. :p

MasterKiller
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
The next step will be internet providers charging websites to be accessed through their servers and censorship or blocking of websites that don't purchase access rights or ad space.

1bad65
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
The next step will be internet providers charging websites to be accessed through their servers and censorship or blocking of websites that don't purchase access rights or ad space.

I seriously doubt that. When the Clinton Administration floated the trial balloon of taxing the Internet, opponents said it would be a disaster. What you are suggesting may happen is akin to a tax on usage, so I'm sure the same people who were against taxing it will be just as opposed to charging for usage.

MasterKiller
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I seriously doubt that. When the Clinton Administration floated the trial balloon of taxing the Internet, opponents said it would be a disaster. What you are suggesting may happen is akin to a tax on usage, so I'm sure the same people who were against taxing it will be just as opposed to charging for usage.

I wouldn't be so dismissive just yet. Companies are already talking about slowing down bandwidth for sites that refuse to pay access tolls and speeding up access to those that do. It's not like the general public can just plug into the wall and browse without an ISP, so essentially websites would be paying the toll fees for general subscribers to access their sites, even though those subscribers already pay a fee for the ISP service in the first place.

1bad65
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't be so dismissive just yet. Companies are already talking about slowing down bandwidth for sites that refuse to pay access tolls and speeding up access to those that do. It's not like the general public can just plug into the wall and browse without an ISP, so essentially websites would be paying the toll fees for general subscribers to access their sites, even though those subscribers already pay a fee for the ISP service in the first place.

Oh, I agree it may happen. I just hope it wont.