PDA

View Full Version : Tibetan Bak Hok Pai Form

facaodotigre
04-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Hello

i'v just found this form on youtube and i wanna know if anybody knows the original name or the performer's name. Looks like these Bak Hok forms are really hard to find on youtube.

Thank you

here the link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9hr_kdSagk&feature=related

TenTigers
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm wondering if it might be Mui-Fa, from Bak Hok P'ai. This is a stretch, because the only version I have seen was in a book by George Parulski, and this is going from memory, but the form he attempted to show had long and short hand moves very similar to what was shown. (one of the few books in my vast collection that made its way to the trash can.)

facaodotigre
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Thank you , Ten Tigers !!! Maybe we can wait until some Tibetan White Crane student or instructor can give to us more info about this Muy Fah form or can talk to us about the differents Bak Hok forms.

Take Care

cerebus
04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
No, that's not the one in Parulski's book. And actually, the form Parulski shows in his book was simply taken from the book "White Crane Kung Fu vol. 1" by James Wong, originally published by Koionia back in the 70s. Not sure which form that was in the vid. I kind of had the feeling that maybe it was a combination of things the performer had put together himself (though I could be wrong)...

lkfmdc
04-09-2010, 08:44 PM
NOT traditional Pak Hok Pai.....

leave it at that

TenTigers
04-10-2010, 06:37 AM
No, that's not the one in Parulski's book. And actually, the form Parulski shows in his book was simply taken from the book "White Crane Kung Fu vol. 1" by James Wong, originally published by Koionia back in the 70s. Not sure which form that was in the vid. I kind of had the feeling that maybe it was a combination of things the performer had put together himself (though I could be wrong)...
ah, so I'm not the only one who bought that...um, book.
Not to hijack, but what was the form in the book?

cerebus
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
LOL! Yeah, I bought that book when it first came out back in the '80s. I was a kid and it was fascinating to me.

As you mentioned, it's referred to as the "Small Plum Blossom Form". I have no idea where it originated though. The first time it was shown in a book was in the James Wong White Crane book I mentioned.

David Jamieson
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
It was a pretty form.

jdhowland
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Not TWC. Shaolin salutes and a lot of wushu posturing.

David Jamieson
04-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Not TWC. Shaolin salutes and a lot of wushu posturing.

Wasn't Tibetan crane filtered through shaolin at some point?
There aren't many arts that didn't get that filter on them in the ming and qing dynasties (which covers about 600 years of history or 3x the amount of existence as the usa. :) )

Gru Bianca
04-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Wasn't Tibetan crane filtered through shaolin at some point?
There aren't many arts that didn't get that filter on them in the ming and qing dynasties (which covers about 600 years of history or 3x the amount of existence as the usa. :) )

Not that I'm aware of.........

4 Dragons
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
A bit off topic but... Does anyone know if Vincent Chow is the real deal?

David Jamieson
04-16-2010, 05:14 AM

Who's Vincent Chow?

4 Dragons
04-16-2010, 09:25 AM
He claims to be head instructor of Pak Hok (White Crane) system worldwide

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/whitecrane/

I know very little about this system so I would really appreciate any info.

iron_silk
04-16-2010, 10:04 AM

I know very little about this system so I would really appreciate any info.

I don't know about their group nor the system, but i have noticed that they are no longer at the location mentioned in their website.

lkfmdc
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Legit Pak Hok guy, no doubt...

but

uh, no........

htowndragon
04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
reportedly senior student of kwong ben fu

diego
04-17-2010, 04:15 PM
reportedly senior student of kwong ben fu

You still training?:cool:

htowndragon
04-18-2010, 12:44 PM
on my own, yes. being a full time sushi chef is time consuming.

4 Dragons
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies! Did a bunch of searching but not a lot of info on lineage.
Who is the Grandmaster of Pak Hok?

Thanks, 4D

Gru Bianca
04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the replies! Did a bunch of searching but not a lot of info on lineage.
Who is the Grandmaster of Pak Hok?

Thanks, 4D

There is no Cheung Mun Yan in the Pak Hok family at least not since the late Ng Siu Chung died. To many his late wife was held as head of the "family" but she just passed away last month. Now, nothing,...just different branches with not always good relations between them.

Another dying style......

friday
04-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Gru Bianca - ???

I just came back from HK a couple of months ago...was not aware this happened.

Hows things? PM me.

Cheers
F

jdhowland
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Yep. He's authentic insofar as he is a recognized teacher of TWC.

His status as head instructor only applies to his own lineage and seems to be based upon his claim that his teacher (I believe it was Kwong Bun Fu) was selected to head the system by grandmaster Ng. Other lineages dispute this and say that there was no successor. At any rate Kwong was probably the oldest living teacher of the system when he died a couple of years ago. But it's a moot point because longevity does not equal political seniority and Bak Hok had already split into several independent lineages after the death of grandmaster Ng.

jdhowland
04-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Wasn't Tibetan crane filtered through shaolin at some point?...

Hard to say. There were probably influences going both ways between Shaolin-associated systems and possibly related methods in northwestern China during it's developmental period. Some of the names of sets in TWC have been influenced by "Shaolin" traditions (e.g. lohan, ting gong, ng ying, gam gong, etc.,) but the movements and series are totally independent.

TWC people generally deny any connection and like to emphasize that theirs is a unique branch of Chinese gongfu. It really can't be disputed because there is no history of its origins earlier than the 19th century.

On the other hand, many TWC teachers were known to have trained in other systems that did have a claim of some connection to the Shaolin tradition.

Mechanically and philosopically it is a different species from what I have seen of both schools but it's all still Chinese gongfu.

4 Dragons
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the information!

Does TWC have any animals represented other than Crane?

4D

jdhowland
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the information!

Does TWC have any animals represented other than Crane?

4D

There are elements of monkey, sometimes translated as "ape" (there are macaques in Tibet and China). There are also techniques named for animals common to many systems, e.g., panther fist. But the system does not imitate animals, not even cranes.

Some of the footwork looks like a monkey's bow-legged shuffle and some of the arm moves and kicks may suggest a crane but the system, as I learned it, is based on purely human movements.

The crane and monkey are "sky and earth." A kind of yam-yeung duality. One of the key concepts of the system is to learn to be comfortable with or without a rooted stance, in the air, tumbling on the ground, whatever.

jd

4 Dragons
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Very interesting, thanks for your reply. Kind of reminds me of Wu Mui.

Gru Bianca
04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Very interesting, thanks for your reply. Kind of reminds me of Wu Mui.

Meaning?

Mind to be more specific in what it does remind you of Wu Mui?

Thanks