PDA

View Full Version : short or long range

bennyvt
04-12-2010, 11:31 PM
This seems to come up a bit and someone at training said something that I hadn't thought of. In our school we tend to teach slower then others, I'm just finished the dummy and been training for about 10 yrs now. I hadn't done chi sao for the first nearly year. I was training everyday for atleast 6-8 hours so not through lack of trying. But in this time I spent alot of it sparing with friends from other styles, getting into fights (not alot) and generally doing unattached fighting. Latter when I learnt chi sao this certainly helped when I was in but I was thinking if it is a by product of learning chi-sao to early and having the only emphasis chi sao turns people into a chi sao robot.
I met many people when I went to hong kong and other schools that although training for the same years were way ahead of me in the system. But most of the time the simple things that I did properly worked better then the advanced stuff.
Well just some thoughts that came from the other thread.:D

LSWCTN1
04-13-2010, 04:58 AM
my instructor taught teaches sticky immediately.

i guess its just to get the bridge positions perfectly correct and such...

he always makes an interesting point though; many people pay... say £1,000... to learn the ... say dummy... form.

but very few ever ask to learn the form AND techniques. and there is a world of difference. learning slowly and steadily (until you are ready) is imho much, much better. as long as you learn correct.